Author Topic: Huguenot family HAUTOT  (Read 3786 times)

Offline stephan69100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huguenot family HAUTOT
« on: Sunday 13 September 15 19:41 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for some information about the French family HAUTOT. They arrived in London around 1750. I've just found their parish records in Normandy in the village of Notre-Dame-du-Bec. The father, John HAUTOT died in this village in 1761 after the mother, called Suzanne DUMONT, went to London with a part of her children (probably because some of them married in London before the dad's death). My ancestor was one of the children, Catherine HAUTOT, who married Louis BANTIGNY on June, 10th, 1764 at the Christchurch of Spitalfields (London).
To confirm the arrival date in London, it would be helpful to know when they joined the French huguenot community of London.

Stephan of Villeurbanne

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot family HAUTOT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 15 19:59 BST (UK) »

This society might be able to help you:

http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 15 23:11 BST (UK) »
The family don't appear as far as I could see in the Huguenot Society publication Le livre de Tresmoignanges de L'Eglise de Threadneedle Street 1669-1789 when I had a quick look at my CD copy.  There is a Catherine Hantot who joined on 26 March 1758 but it doesn't say where her Tresmoignanges was from or where she was from.  It could be a mispelling or it could be another person entirely.

Its possible they attended one of the other churches whose Tresmoignanges records don't survive, although the 1760s is pretty late for Huguenot migration so its possible they never joined the church and started attending one of the parish churches instead.  Have you any evidence they did actually attend any of the French Protestant churches in London?  If they only married/baptised their children in the parish churches, its unlikely they may ever have attended one of them.

One of my Huguenot ancestors did join the Threadneedle Street French Church in the 1740s but by the 1760s was using Christ Church Spitalfields and Bethnal Green St Matthew, as baptisms/marriages/burials happen there.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline stephan69100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply. Catherine HANTOT could be Louis BANTIGNY's wife (married at Christchurch of Spitalfields on June 10th 1764). Sometimes her name is read "HANTOT", sometimes "HAUTOT", writing of letters "n" and "u" being very close.
If we know the names of the parents or/and name of witnesses, we possibly may connect Catherine HAUTOT with the HAUTOT family of Notre-Dame-du-Bec in Normandy.
Note that Catherine HAUTOT of Notre-Dame-du-Bec had brother, Jean Francois, and sisters Marie Anne and Suzanne, and we can find some marriages in London with the same surnames.

Stephan

Offline stephan69100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 13:55 BST (UK) »
Some additional information about my previous message regarding brothers and sisters of Catherine HAUTOT of Normandy and possible corresponding marriages or funerals in London.
1/ Marie Anne HAUTOT baptized at Notre-Dame-du-Bec on 14th December 1727 and Maryanne HAUTOT who married Philip RECHTER on 26th July 1755 at Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London.
2/ Pierre HAUTOT baptized at Notre-Dame-du-Bec on 29th July 1729 and Peter HAUTOT who was buried at Spitalfields on 18th October 1761.
3/ Suzanne HAUTOT born and baptized at Notre-Dame-du-Bec on 16th February 1736 and Susanna HAUTOT who married John COURCHE on 2nd February 1758 at Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London.
4/ Catherine HAUTOT born on 5th October 1738 and baptized the day after at Notre-Dame-du-Bec and Catharine HAUTOT (or HANTOT) who married Lewis BANTIGNY on 10th June 1764 at Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London.
5/ Jean Francois Amand HAUTOT born and baptized on 6th February 1748 at Notre-Dame-du-Bec and John Francis Amand HAUTOT who married Mary Ann Elizabeth COTRELL on 28th April 1774 at Saint Matthew, Bethnal Green, London.

Without parents names and/or witnesses names, it is just possible to make some assumption. Is there anybody able to raise the doubt ?

Stephan

Offline J.hautot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 21 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephan,
I am descended from Jean Francois Amand Hautot. I live in Australia so I have relied on research done by others however I have found out our family were definitely Huguenot. The four sons were sent to England to avoid persecution and their mother was imprisoned for many years because it was illegal at the time. She migrated to England after being released and died a few months later. Also last year I found the story becomes even stranger , a few generations earlier we have an ancestor, farm labourer, marrying the niece of a duchess.  How I wish there was a diary or two around!

Offline stephan69100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear J. HAUTOT,
I am descended from Catherine HAUTOT who married Louis BANTIGNY on 10 June 1764 in London. I made the assumption that Catherine was the sister of Jean Francois Amand HAUTOT, based upon several elements, for example :
1/ the composition of the family of Jean HAUTOT and Adrianne Susanne DUMONT married on October 21st 1726 in Notre-Dame-du-Bec in Normandy, the DUMONT family was Huguenot;
2/ On January 28th 1768 in London, Jean Francois Amand HAUTOT was the godfather of my ancestor Marie BANTIGNY, one of the daughters of Catherine HAUTOT and Louis BANTIGNY.
All of my genealogical resarches are available on the website Geneanet, where I mentioned all my sources. You may easily access to these data through a free registration.
If you have a different possible origin for Jean  Francois Amand HAUTOT, i am interested in it.
Thank you for your message and have a good New Year,

Stephen

Offline J.hautot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 21 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello (cousin) Stephan, I have used a number of other sources. I am not sure how to send attachments but I am on Facebook,
Jenny

Offline stephan69100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 May 21 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenny. I have just sent an invitation on Facebook.
I am still interested in the story of a labourer meeting a duchess. Which information at your disposal could you supply?
Have a good time in Melbourne,
Your cousin Stéphan