Author Topic: Looking For Grave In Enmore, Bridgewater Of Grandfather  (Read 4994 times)

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking For Grave In Enmore, Bridgewater Of Grandfather
« on: Monday 14 September 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
I am looking to find the Grave of what I believe is my Great Grandfather, Sydney Hill whom I believe was buried locally at the Parish Church in Enmore, Bridgewater. He lived locally witu second wife Ada Hill at Lexworthy Villas, Lower Enmore, Bridgewater when he died in 1947. I am wondering if there is anyone local to the area whom would mind trawling around the Churchyard there and seeing if a Grave could be found and if so, emailing me a photo or two of it ? Unfortunatly I myself cannot actively search as I now live in the United States and have also tried to make contact with said local Church whom wasnt very helpful and only seemed more intrested in trying to procure great sums of money from yours truly to just do a search of what they have on record and that wouldnt even have covered a photo of the Grave itself. Anyways I am wondering if some kind soul would mind having a look around for me and see if a Grave can indeed be found. I thank you in advance for any time or help given.

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Grave In Enmore, Bridgewater Of Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hello
Are you still looking for someone to search and photograph a grave in Enmore church yard?

If so please let me know and I will take a look

kind wishes

Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline Adam Hill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 March 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, Yes that would be wonderful if you don't mind and happen to be in the area. My Greatgrandfathers name was Sydney Hill and he died in 1947. He lived locally there in Enmore with his second wife Ada. I have always wondered where his grave is and Would love a picture if you do happen to come across it. I also wonder if his Parents grave might be there also, George and Maria Hill? Again any pictures that you could get me would be gratefully appreciated. I had made contact initially with the local Pub there and they said they would ask around and see if anyone remembered them, but they sadly never responded. Ada' s Family originated from Enmore at least as far back as the early 1900s and there name was Hodge. Also Ada later remarried and became Ada King, not sure if continued to live locally after Sydney's death , but she lived on until her death at age 97 in 1991. So I feel sure that thete must be someone still living in the area whom knew or had some sort of connection to either Sydney or Ada. Would love any info or pictures that could possibly get. Wonder if any elderly people locally remember or could help with info or pictures? Anyways if I was over there, would defiantly check out the Pub, for the obvious reasons if course, but also to see if anyone local has any knowledge and can help. Again Thank you so much. I appreciate your time greatly. Am I allowed to give you my email address btw in here or is against rules, as may just be easier to contact direct. Thanks Sue. Kind Regards, Adam Hill.

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 March 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam

Sending you a Personal Message

kind wishes

Sue
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Howell, Cardiff
Wellings- Shropshire

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Adam

Could not PM you so hope you see this message.

I now have a date in my diary to visit Enmore - 28 April. I am sorry its a month off but I have scheduled it to coincide with meeting my friend at one of the two pubs near Enmore and having lunch there. We will comb the church yard for relevant memorials and also try to find the house your Grandfather last resided at to photograph it for you. Whilst in the pub we will ask the necessry questions.

I note the 1939 register shows Sydney and Ada living at 41 Queens Road Bridgwater. It maybe if Sydney was not a long standing resident of Enmore that he is buried in one of the town's cemeteries.

It maybe worth you contacting Bridgwater council to check out St Johns and Quantock Road cemetery. I think they will do this free of charge.

https://www.sedgemoor.gov.uk/article/1801/Family-History-Searches

There is a cemetery at Wembdon. They charge a fee for checking their registers. If the above search comes back negative and I find nothing in Enmore it maybe necessary to contact them

http://www.bridgwatercemeteries.org.uk/

If some of the family graves are in one of the cemeteries and you can provide a plot number I will check it out for you.

Best wishes

Sue
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Howell, Cardiff
Wellings- Shropshire

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 April 18 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Adam

Please PM me as I have visited Enmore Church as promised. I did not find the grave of Sydney Hill but I did photograph Lexworthy Villas. If you could PM your email address I can send a photograph of the house ( I did get owners permission to photograph) . I also checked out Durleigh Churchyard which is close by and tried a brief search of Quantock Road cemetery to no avail.

kind wishes

Sue
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Howell, Cardiff
Wellings- Shropshire