Author Topic: Margaret mccreath (nee)Walker born in perth, perthshire looking for her parents  (Read 1396 times)

Offline MissHaley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret mccreath (nee)Walker born in perth, perthshire looking for her parents
« on: Wednesday 16 September 15 04:06 BST (UK) »
my great grandmother has me completely stumped, i can not find any information about her parents
i do know that she was born (i think may 18) 1884 in perthshire scotland, died in 1980 in alberta canada. had a husband thomas Mccreath. i have found her and thomas's grave with birth and death years in blackfalds alberta canada but other then that i have nothing for information i would really like to fine out more. any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret mccreath (nee)Walker born in perth, perthshire looking for her parents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think I have found the Walker family in the 1916 and 1921 Canadian censuses in Lethbridge, Alberta. Margaret is with her brothers Peter & Adam, and, in 1916, also in the household is their mother Catherine. Margaret is on the 1916 census as Maggie Walker age 30 and in the 1921 census as Margret Walker age 40. It would appear that Margaret did not marry until after 1921, someone more familiar with Alberta marriages may be able to advise where to look for a marriage, and what information would be on it.

I have found an obit for Peter Walker from the Lethbridge Herald 9th Nov 1953 which mentions his brother Adam and two sisters Mrs Tom Mccreath of Red Deer, and Mrs Mary McCormack in Glasgow Scotland. If you PM me your email address I will send a copy of the obit.

I think I have also found the Walkers in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses in Perthshire, Scotland. The fathers name would appear to be James Walker. According to the 1891 and 1901 census Margaret was born in Dull, Perthshire. She is on the 1891 census as Maggie Walker age 5 and on the 1901 census as Maggie Walker age 15.

Andy

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret mccreath (nee)Walker born in perth, perthshire looking for her parents
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 06:58 BST (UK) »
For any research in Scotland you will need to purchase credits here:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

You will be able to download certificates instantly. It's a very cheap method to obtain certificates - and Scottish ones contain plenty of useful information.

Good luck.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Margarets parents look to be James Walker & Catherine Ferguson

Familysearch.org has indexed Scottish Statutory births frpm 1855 to 1875 plus the years 1881 and 1891, unfortunately that means the birth for Margaret is not on their website but this looks to be her siblings

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F7SL-6Z9
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT6N-PDQ
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ47-SBJ

and this looks to be the parents marriage

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYS1-6VH

As Ruskie has said Scotlandspeople is the website for copies of original registrations. There is a birth registered in Dull, Perthshire in 1885 that should be Margaret, downloading the image would confirm this. Also downloading her parents marriage (there is only one match in Blair Atholl in 1873) should give you the names of both sets of parents enabling you to go back further.

Andy

Offline MissHaley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks so much this helps big time!!  Andy my email address is missmadison10@gmail.com I would love any info you can give me!   Thanks again!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
Other post for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730873.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MissHaley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
thanks you to all that have look at this forum, i have recently came across some more info that should help me further.   thanks so much!