Author Topic: what regiment please  (Read 4503 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what regiment please
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 September 15 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven

Regarding buttons, at times an infantryman would have two tunics, - one with seven buttons and one with five buttons. Best and second best; but not necessarily in that order. At the same time other corps might have nine buttons. So not always a good guide as things changed often

Thanks for all comments, I do have a photo that I forgot about with similar arm pattern, and someone said it was most likely Kings Regiment, as I know they often merged and changed names, this might be a later version of the one posted.   My great great uncle is 5th from the left, they were signalers and photographed in Pembroke Dock where my Great great aunt lived.  c1904, some of the men have Boer War medals.

Not the Kings Liverpool Regiment. They were not light infantry. Anyway, Findmypast have the service record of Colour Sergeant Thomas Lillis on file. It confirms the marriage to Ellen in Pembroke Dock. At the time of the marriage he was a Sergeant of Signallers.

He was discharged in November 1913. Another six weeks and his record would have been stored in the Arnside warehouse that was bombed in 1914.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo97%2f5344%2f160%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo97%2f5344%2f934934 - subscription needed.

He was in the King's (Shropshire Light Infantry). So a royal regiment with blue facings - collars and cuffs.

Ken

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 September 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
Wow Ken thanks, I have stopped doing my tree some years ago, but any new news is great.  More things are being uploaded all the time.  I will fill in some info for reading as people have gone to so much trouble.

As far as I can tell when WWI started he was living in London, being Irish born, he was then stationed at Pembroke Dock in 1905 where he married Ellen Morris.  I can just remember her as the Morris family were all long livers.

After WWI they divorced as I read somewhere there was so much family disruption and chaos the Government relaxed the divorced laws.   They both re-married in 1920 straight after the war and on the 1911 census he is based in Shrewsbury Barracks (Copthorne) listed as a Colour Sergent.   Years later in the 1930s once Ellen's new husband died, Thomas divorced his new wife and they re-married in Birmingham, his occupation was Petrol Depot Manager .   They both then settled back in Pembroke Dock, on his death certificate he is noted as a retired Warrant Officer.
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 September 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
Find MY Past is free this weekend, so have downloaded his record, many thanks again, what a coincidence.    I am surprised that his job was postman, that was the occupation of Ellen, his wife's brother-in-law.  He was in London too.   I wondered if the two sisters married postmen by chance!
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg