Author Topic: what regiment please  (Read 4505 times)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what regiment please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all comments, I do have a photo that I forgot about with similar arm pattern, and someone said it was most likely Kings Regiment, as I know they often merged and changed names, this might be a later version of the one posted.   My great great uncle is 5th from the left, they were signalers and photographed in Pembroke Dock where my Great great aunt lived.  c1904, some of the men have Boer War medals.
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
oops wrong photo
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
The man in your original photo is wearing a pill-box cap.

Army Lists website has this to say about these hats:

Soon after the Crimean War a new pattern forage cap was authorized for all ranks in Cavalry Regiments. This was a small blocked "pill-box" cap of crimson cloth for the 11th Hussars, scarlet for the 15th, and blue for all the other Regiments, with a band of regimental lace at the bottom and a gold button and figured ornament in the centre of the crown. The cap was worn tilted over the right ear and had a black leather chin strap. Gold lace was only worn by officers and certain N.C.O's.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
Great, thanks so much KGarrad, that is really helpful, much obliged.  Steven

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 23:47 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I would go with Ken in saying militia because of the style of cuff braid. Dating for militia is a little harder because they kept older styles of uniform later than the regulars. Hence 9 buttons, regulars had 7.

Regular army had the style shown in the 3rd pic, pointed cuff with simple trefoil design. This pic is post 1878 because they have the 1878 pattern home service helmet.

The pill box hat was a cavalry hat in the first instance but was also used by the RA with rank chevrons. I have never seen it used by REs but happy to be proved wrong.

The sergeant with his wife is light infantry post 1878 again because of the helmet. He has collar badges showing the bugle horn and bugle horn centre to helmet plate.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 September 15 05:04 BST (UK) »
They had Militia artillery as well.

The seated Colour Sergeant has a helmet with the Kings crown. So 1901 or later. Also I remember reading on the photographic section that trouser creases came in late Edwardian period.

Ken

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 September 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

The pill box hat was a cavalry hat in the first instance but was also used by the RA with rank chevrons. I have never seen it used by REs but happy to be proved wrong.
John915

There is absolutely no doubt that the man in the image I posted was a L/Cpl in the RE, he had just returned from the Boer War where records show he was in the 12th Field Coy. He was still in the RE when serving in Ireland in 1904, through five years spent at the War Office, and until his death as a Q.M.S. in South Africa in 1916.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 September 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
I should have looked at the flags above his Sergeant's stripes more closely. I think he a Sergeant of signallers.

Ken

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 September 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks once more, what  a coincidence that the photo in the museum and my own are from the Signalers!   Interesting too the minute details of 7 versus 9 buttons can dictate a date for uniform.  Very enlightening. Steven