Author Topic: 3002 Sgt Charles Brownie Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3002 Sgt Charles Brownie Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry
« on: Thursday 17 September 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
I am looking for some help with this.

Charles Edward Brownie was born in Dunning in 1871, the son of John Watts Brownie and Margaret Brownie (nee Buchanan).  He enlisted in the Seaforth Highlanders on the 23rd March 1889.  During his time in the army, he served in West Africa earning the East and West Africa medal with the bar "1898".  Charles also received and Army Long Service and Good Conduct medal in 1907.

In February 1902, Charles was posted to the Royal Jersey Light Infantry and continued to serve with them until his discharge on 16th August 1910; sadly, his papers are marked "Insane".  His intended place of residence is shown as The County Borough Asylum, Haywards Heath, Sussex.

I know that he married a Mary Grant McBain on 5th July 1902 and subsequently had a son Charles Buchanan Watts Brownie who was born 17th June 1904 in Jersey. I can't find him on the 1901 Census.

Any help would be welcome

Mark

I can find the son on the 1911 Census, but there is no sign of Charles; does anyone have any ideas?
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 3002 Sgt Charles Brownie Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 September 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Where you've written 1901 census, do you mean 1911?

Stewart

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 3002 Sgt Charles Brownie Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 15 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Indeed I do; as his son wasn't born until 1904! 

I think I have now found the family in Jersey in 1911; minus Charles who had I assume by then left the island following his discharge from the army on the grounds on "Insanity".

Interestingly, the census records a daughter, Millicent, who was born in St Helier. This particular census now throws up a further problem, it records the place of birth of the father as Brighton whilst his army enlistment papers show his place of birth as Dunning, Perthshire!

I believe that Charles Snr., lived in the Brighton area and indeed, he had served prior to the Seaforth's with the 1st Volunteer Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment.

Thanks for you interest.

Regards,

Mark
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 September 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Just to help with Charles snr's birthplace - Is this with this parents in 1881 - His mother born Scotland??  Living at 1 St Pauls St Brighton and all children born Brighton

John W. Brownie 40 b London
Maggie Brownie    36 b Scotland
Sophia E. Brownie 16
William H. Brownie 15
Charles E. Brownie 8
Jessie Brownie    6
John W. Brownie 4

Kay

Edit - I see from an Ancestry tree that his mother was born at Dunning - Maybe he used her birthplace to enlist??

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Kay

Many thanks for all your help.

It looks increasingly like Charles' birth was registered in Brighton.

His service papers however show him as being born in Dunning, Perthshire and a photo of him appears in the book Military History of Perthshire, wearing his East and West Africa medal with bar "1898" in the uniform of the Royal Jersey Light Infantry Militia.  This publication identifies individuals born in Perthshire who served in the British Army.

His mother was also from Dunning and I wonder if he was in fact born there and the birth registered sometime later (for what ever reason) in Brighton?

Mark

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
How strange - I wondered if there was a requirement to be Scottish before enlisting in the Seaforth Highlanders but others in the Regiment are English.   If he was born in Scotland his parents didn't refer to it in the census years he was living with them. 

Kay

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 September 15 12:37 BST (UK) »
Kay,

This may simply be one of those times when the veil of history remains closed!

I am going to obtain a copy of his death certificate and marriage certificate to see if they throw any further light on the mystery.

Mark

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 September 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
I had thought it might be simply an error when he enlisted as he might have been staying with relations in Dunning, but the 1901 census is clear re his birthplace

Good Luck Kay

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 September 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Kay,

That is interesting!  Thank you.

The entries on the other census returns must be inaccurate or, because he had stated Dunning as his birth place on enlistment, he could hardly change it 12 years later!

Mark