Author Topic: Hobbyist/Serial Posters  (Read 11377 times)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Hobbyist/Serial Posters
« on: Thursday 17 September 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Chatters,

Think this is probably a controversial subject but it might be interesting to hear what others think.

There have been a number of examples in recent months of members whose hobby is buying old albums etc then researching the history of the people in them via posts on RC and using the photo restore board as well.   

They get all their census and other information free of charge by using volunteers time and subscriptions/spare credits to the various genealogy websites.   They also get the photos restored or coloured FOC.

In some cases the information they gain from our efforts is put on their own web-sites or other forums under the guise of their own work, with no acknowledgement or credit to the people who actually provided the information.

I am fully aware that it's up to the members to decide whether to help or not depending on their point of view.  However - many of these posters don't make their intentions clear in their posts whilst others deliberately mislead by phrasing their posts as though it's their own FH.

Is it fair that such people take advantage of a site like RootsChat?  Should "hobby posters" be deterred from using our time and efforts in this way?

Interested in all points of view.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbyist/Serial Posters
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 September 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
I see what you mean,  and I recall about three years ago,  a person on here  asking such questions,

about chairs, IIRC?

I just feel that  this thread title doesn't quite  accurately describe  what the problem is.

How about "Commercial  entrepreneurs cashing in on other peoples expertise  and knowledge"

A bit long winded maybe,  but does that help?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 September 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
In some cases the information they gain from our efforts is put on their own web-sites or other forums under the guise of their own work, with no acknowledgement or credit to the people who actually provided the information.

Interested in all points of view.
Sandra
This would be where I would be annoyed. If I am/we are providing a commercial benefit then we/I should be paid in accordance.

I don't mind helping and I don't mind sharing, but I do hate being made a fool of. ( I do that enough myself  ;D )

I quite like RC and I feel if I get anything from it I acknowledge it. Just as I would acknowledge other sources of information.

I do know of one poster on the Photo board who has been advised to watermark their pics to stop them from being used elsewhere.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 September 15 23:29 BST (UK) »
I don't mind doing look ups for anyone, as I enjoy it and have come to a bit of a standstill with my own tree at the moment. I have done several where people state at the beginning that they are looking into the families of people on the local war memorial, or their village etc and that is fine, as it is my choice whether to continue or not.

However, there have, as you say, been several cases where the question has been phrased as if it is their family and it has only come to light later on that there is no connection. That makes me cross, not that I've given my time, but feel I have been mislead.

It is also annoying when people, not always newcomers to the site, ask for information they could easily get themselves from the freesites. It's almost the case of "I want a Family Tree but I can't be bothered to do the work to find people."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 15 00:00 BST (UK) »

I don't mind doing look ups for anyone, as I enjoy it and have come to a bit of a standstill with my own tree at the moment. I have done several where people state at the beginning that they are looking into the families of people on the local war memorial, or their village etc and that is fine, as it is my choice whether to continue or not.

I think most of us don't mind and have helped with those sort of requests, particularly this year.  To quote one new RootsChat member recently, a French gentleman who is member of the association "Poppies Commonwealth" - tending the graves of Canadian Service Men in France and trying to contact relatives of the families.  To that gentleman - A Great Big Thank You for being apart of that organisation, looking after those graves and trying to let those families know about there relatives.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 15 00:06 BST (UK) »
If I ever had anything worth contributing .... :)

I'd like to know if it were potentially a "for profit" venture.  That way both parties are on a level playing field.

I'd not mind that somebody were being enterprising, but I'd feel 'taken for a mug' if I'd put myself out for somebody that was raking it in and not mentioning it.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 September 15 00:42 BST (UK) »
I don't think the majority of our "hobby posters" are of the commercial variety. 

They are mainly people who research a particular person or subject purely as a hobby.

Others buy photo albums or postcards and such like from various sources and decide to research the lives of the people in those albums etc.  Again - purely as a hobby.

I think the point being made by Sandra is that by using RC for that research - are they abusing the goodwill of the members and should they be discouraged from posting?

When a hobby poster is "upfront" about why they want help - the reader can make an informed decision on whether to use their time and resources to provide the info

Unfortunately - the majority of hobby posters are not "upfront" and phrase their post in ways that lead you to believe it's genuine FH.  We have also experienced the ones who blatantly lie about their reasons for the request.

Some hobby posters are contributors to other forums connected to their hobby and some of us  have seen at first hand how they claim credit for info they post on those forums - even though it's come from RC.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 September 15 00:53 BST (UK) »
I haven't noticed anyone passing rootschatter's work off as their own. :o

I do know that people buy albums and photos with a view to researching the families and possibly passing the photo/album/inscribed book/bible back to descendants of the original owners if they can be traced.  :-\ I thought this was a kind gesture.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 September 15 01:19 BST (UK) »
I agree with Ruskie,  I have not noticed RChatters efforts being used without acknowledgement.  Several years ago many of us were able to help with the Fromelles Missing and then later with two young lads on their school project.  The lads uploaded their presentation to You Tube.  And from one of those lads giving me advice in private emails, I learnt about You Tube.   I am ever so grateful to those two lads.

Here's their presentation ..... notice they acknowledge RChat in the credits.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IALnBw95LWs

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.