Author Topic: Hobbyist/Serial Posters  (Read 11395 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbyist/Serial Posters
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 September 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
RootsChat has some 222,865 members, the majority are genuine genealogy researchers doing there own family history or helping others.  Like many others my own research is at a standstill (about 1700) but I get enjoyment through continuing to pay yearly subscriptions to genealogy sites so that I can help others who are not so fortunate and cannot afford the subscriptions themselves due to there own circumstances.  There is a great pleasure in being able to do that and the majority are most
appreciative.

The main question was - What about those who buy postcards, letters etc and research the history of the people in them via numerous infinite posts on RC, using the photo restore board and without putting there hand in there pocket to finance there hobby  ???   Some members are misusing the photo and restoration board by posting images of photographs where the photographs would still be covered by Copyright.   (Copyright of a photograph lasts for 70 years from the end of the year in which the photographer dies)
Others are able to have the same types of hobby, researching through the genealogy sites and financing those themselves with the odd bits of help when they hit a brick wall.
Some members deliberately mislead by phrasing their posts as though it's their own FH.

I am particularly interested in members views on the main question.

We are all here as guests of the owners Trystan and Sarah, without them we would all be up the "swannie without a paddle" because I don't think there is another site that "holds a torch" to this one.

Is it fair that such people take advantage of a site like RootsChat?

Are these posters abusing the goodwill of members and should they be discouraged from posting so many threads ?

Perhaps members are to shy to come forward and give there views but it is only voicing your own opinion on this particular subject.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
As ius becoming a bit of a habit with me .... I agree with groom. I've been abjectly grateful for the help and guidance I've been given by generous souls on here, and pathetically pleased when in turn I can help someone. As I too am a bit surrounded by brick walls at present, rather like a less-experienced *Sandra*, I browse around to see if I may be able to help someone else, most times, and maintain my "Ancestry" sub, and enjoy following research in any way I can.
I feel there is a great deal of difference between helping someone to find out something that's a bit obscure, or using your local knowledge to help out, and the posts that after a time irritate me, where someone obviously wants everything, family tree from parents back to Noah, without it costing them anything either in time or money, (expecting people to use FindMyPast or Ancestry extensively on their behalf), argues with people trying to help them, and ( usually ) vanishes when they've squeezed Rootschatters dry, without a thank you!
The joy of untangling your own research, of finding the actual record, seeing even a screen image as a result of your own efforts, with hints from kind others, is immense.
Thank goodness this is a mutual help group, in that lies its strength, but I suspect the best way to deal with anyone you suspect to be semi-professional freeloaders is simply not to respond to their posts, and leave them to their own devices. Having attempted to do some work on some of my own faded family photos I know how time-consuming that can be - I'd never dare to ask anyone else to take them on.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 September 15 19:28 BST (UK) »

As I too am a bit surrounded by brick walls at present, rather like a less-experienced *Sandra*, I browse around to see if I may be able to help someone else, most times, and maintain my "Ancestry" sub, and enjoy following research in any way I can.

But I'm not asking for your views on my experience TY - I just try my best for everyone and really don't need your assessment of my capabilities.  Like a lot of people I to have my blacklist of those to avoid.

Thanks
Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 September 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
As Martha Stewart often says "it's a good thing." RC is a "good thing" because of those who
give freely of their time, their amazing expertise, and their generosity of spirit.

For the hobbyist who needs help now and again, it's a "good thing." People like Annie65115,
two thumbs up :), and I would help you anytime if I could.

For the hobbyist who is a serial poster and wants all the work done for them, why bother. ???
It isn't a "good thing" and two thumbs down. >:( Find another hobby.

Cheers,
DB

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 September 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
Here are just 4 examples of "hobby posters"

A prolific poster who had an interest in participants of a well known sport and was a subscriber to it's website where he was thanked and applauded for the info he posted.  No mention that the info came from RC. 

A member who used a photo restore in one of his books and was a very prolific poster on the restore board

Same member bought a photo album on eBay and posted that it had been found in his late mothers belongings and he was researching the contents.    Also used RC to research another photo album by saying he had been approached by a member of his local FHS for help.  Some detective work by several other members exposed him.

A member who is researching anybody who has ever lived in a particular place - for what reason is unclear but his posting counter is substantial

These are the type of posters Sandra is talking about.  Not the people like Annie65115 or the people who research for war memorials and similar.  We are all happy to help that kind of research as there is a real purpose and point to it.

Many of us know who these hobby posters are and we all have our personal "blacklists" so ignore their posts.  However - that doesn't mean we agree that they should be allowed to mislead other members into thinking they are helping with genuine FH research

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 September 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
On another forum which I am a member, there is an "Ignore"  facility.

You can choose to ignore a particular members posts.

We cannot do that on here, can we?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 September 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
It all depends on the reason behind the request from Rootschatters for help...as many of you will be aware...I have restored thousands of photographs including some for the unnamed "Historian" as mentioned by Carole.
I also buy old named photos and postcards and often post them for help in dating with the view to tracing descendants on Ancestry using my own subscription....I then contact relatives and either send a copy or post the original as I feel a sense of satisfaction in being able to pass on images that they wouldn't normally have. Although the feedback can sometimes be disappointing, the positives outweigh the negatives.
I think there are very few people who are dishonest in their intentions and those who are should be named and shamed to deter others. Thankfully these are few and far between.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 September 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
On another forum which I am a member, there is an "Ignore"  facility.

You can choose to ignore a particular members posts.

We cannot do that on here, can we?

Of course you can - just don't read and respond to them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 September 15 23:09 BST (UK) »

As I too am a bit surrounded by brick walls at present, rather like a less-experienced *Sandra*, I browse around to see if I may be able to help someone else, most times, and maintain my "Ancestry" sub, and enjoy following research in any way I can.

But I'm not asking for your views on my experience TY - I just try my best for everyone and really don't need your assessment of my capabilities.  Like a lot of people I to have my blacklist of those to avoid.

Thanks
Sandra  ;)

I thought TY was paying you a compliment.  :-\