Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Anne Reid (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 6)  (Read 29652 times)

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Anne Reid (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 6)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 September 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed it! I think she's totally cracked and has some very strange ideas  :D
Obviously takes against people very easily, very unfair on her f.i.l. and a lot of jumping to conclusions. It was very interesting to see transportation covered.
fizzix
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 September 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
Although I enjoyed the stories and information about the convicts and transportation to Australia, I thought Anne Reid was awful!  She spoke over the people who were trying to help her and kept giving her opinion without one shred of evidence. She hadn't got a good word to say about the father in law who, in spite of having his signature forged by his son in law, had taken the child in and presumably cared for him!
A poor episode which really didn't warrant a free trip out to Tasmania.

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 September 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
Frankly , I was stunned  :o

The story of David Husband and his son-in-law John Reid was an interesting tale only ruined by one thing - Anne Reid  :-\
Her attitude annoyed me. Gales of laughter drowned out the Kirk Session records on her GG-grandfather's drunken and irresponsible behaviour. Okay, this might have been slightly amusing but it was hardly hilarious. I don't think Anne appreciated the effect John Reid's drinking, anti-social behaviour and dereliction to his teaching position could have had on his wife and children , never mind the wider community. His poor wife (Anne's GG-grandmother) dying, obviously at a young age in 1839, scarcely registered with her. I would have been wondering if John's behaviour and the stress of having to take his classes for him had maybe contributed to Margaret Husband/Reid's death.
Then there was Reid's forgery trial at Edinburgh, where it's fair to say the poor researcher looked flummoxed by Anne's  "I hope they all died horrible deaths". 
Her stance seemed to be that John Reid had been "framed" by his vindictive father-in-law ; I agree with others - it seemed Anne didn't realise this was also her ancestor.
By the time she got to Tasmania and was complaining that John Reid didn't get special treatment there due to his friendship with the Surgeon-Superintendent, I was ready to switch off.
But I didn't .........

I think we can all sometimes feel we know an ancestor and perhaps sympathise with them. But at the end of the day we mostly have no clue whether any of our ancestors were good, bad, angelic, evil, friendly, grumpy, quiet, loud, violent, timid etc etc.
We can only take the evidence we find and look at it in a balanced way. Just wish the production team had told Anne that.

Looby :)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 September 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
I definitely had a few WHAAAAAAAAAT! moments at her attitude ???.

But there was some really interesting research, following someone right through.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 September 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed it. I tried to read as much of Thomas Reid's marriage certificate at the end as possible after the mention of Everton. He was living in Everton, Liverpool at the time of his marriage. I got curious and followed him through the years:-

John Reid's son Thomas Reid married Elizabeth Evans at St Augustine's CE in Shaw Street Everton Liverpool on 26 Dec 1864. Thomas' first wife Elizabeth Evans died in 1867 and Thomas married Catherine Ryan Rainford at St John The Baptist CE Toxteth Liverpool in 1868. Their son Thomas David Husband Reid was born in Liverpool in 1870. The family were at 101 Beaufort Street Toxteth Liverpool in 1871, Cinnamon Brow Poulton with Fearnhead Warrington in 1881 and at 13 Phoebe Ann Street Everton Liverpool in 1891.

Thomas David Husband Reid married Helena Latham on 29 Sep 1894 at St Paul, Astley Bridge, Bolton. Occupation was journalist, father Thomas Reid's occupation was solicitor. TDH Reid died in Birmingham in 1906. His twice widowed father Thomas Reid was living at 33 Danby Street Everton Liverpool in 1901, at 3 Harrogate Street Everton Liverpool in 1911 and died in 1915 and was buried at Walton Park Liverpool.

Blue

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 September 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Impressive work .  :D
I certainly hope that Annie offers you a fee for having done all that research for her!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 September 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
It's all been said already :'(  apart from the insight into the lives of convicts in Tasmania it did little but disgust me >:( and yes the punishments were very severe in those days. Or perhaps it was Anne's reaction that got to me.

John Reid, who had to have been well educated, by the standards of the times, but was just a "waster" (in my opinion).
He had the opportunity to earn a reasonable living to support his wife and kids but instead became a drunk and stole from his father-in-law who at the age of 60/70 was left to bring up his grandkids after their mother's death. :o

Well I have said my bit not an ancestor I would have been proud of.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 September 15 17:02 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with everything that everyone has said.

The information given was interesting with all the documents held over the other side of the world as well as the Kirk records it helped to put a good picture together of the man John Reid- what a balggard he was!

Whilst having an 'interesting'character in the family line it escaped her notice that she was actually related to David Husband too! What a nice tolerant, caring man he must have been to have taken in those three children and looked after them! Had they been left on their own it would probably have  been the workhouse for them and who knows what would of happened to them -she never gave that a thought about that! It could of resulted in her not even having been here- um well let's think on that one! She didn't seem to give a fig for them.

Him in doors thought maybe she was in early stages of dementia to have such a warped view of everything she was told and her awful reactions to it.

I did feel sorry for all the researchers as they were at a complete loss as to what to make of her terrible comments and how funny she thought it was!

What a waste of a programme - it would have been more interesting if they'd cut her out completely! Not what you'd call a career enhancement for her.
We stopped watching Last Tango as we got quite irritated with it all and it looks like she doesn't need to act- it's her normal character.
Strange, strange lady.

What about the bit they missed out- her father was in MI6 during the war, I wonder why that wasn't included?

There must have been a great deal on the cutting room floor and they must have torn their hair out wondering what to include! What else did she say that they didn't leave in considering what was!!!
Maybe time for a rethink on the whole WDYTYA set up as some of the people they include, in my mind, don't seem to be the right material!
Oh how wonderful if they just used mere mortals like us- very unlikely.
That's my comments for now
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:33 BST (UK) »

What about the bit they missed out- her father was in MI6 during the war, I wonder why that wasn't included?

I'm so glad you mentioned the MI6 thing. I had read that the episode was Anne finding out about a 'spy' who was her ancestor.  Then they started on the Scottish relative, I thought the 'spy' ancestor would come out in the second half...but then  ???

I agree with many of the comments posted - I fell asleep too so that didn't help.  Personally I think there were big parts of the story that they did not find out about.  I don't think John was particularly qualified to teach in the first instance, somewhat of a waster (as mentioned) I think Annie kinda missed the point on many of the researched areas presented to her.  I also think our 'experts' need to speak up more in order to guide their celebrity to get them thinking of the different possibilities!