Author Topic: Exciting find a metal detectorist has found my grandfather's wedding ring !  (Read 15808 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting find
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 September 15 21:17 BST (UK) »
Tremendous.  :)

I am so pleased to have read this story, and look forward to the link.

Good luck and joy to all the family.  :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 September 15 18:26 BST (UK) »
Yes ... we're all looking forward to viewing that link! A lovely story, such an antidote to tales of people who are unhelpful. He must be a really great bloke! Thank you.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 September 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant ... for you.  Probably not so great for granddad when he went home for tea that night and had to tell the missus!!

Also, you'll get to find out exactly where it was found - and you can stand there and know he'd stood there and lost that ring, right there.

That's mind blowingly, amazingly exciting!

All the best
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 October 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
A couple of additions to the story  :)  I phoned my aunt the other night to tell her about it all, she's the youngest of the 6 siblings.  She couldn't recall grandpa having a wedding ring as such, but said she did have a rose gold signet ring that was his- given to her after his death in 1977.  She says it's very worn, and the shank is broken. I  reckon this one was bought as a replacement for the one lost in the field.

Last night I got an e-mail from another aunt; throwaway line at the end of it - would I like granny's wedding dress?  Well.......... yes ofcourse!  I can now re-unite the wedding dress with the found ring for a while before it's shipped off to Australia. It's all coming together nicely. 
Thanks for all your lovely comments  on the story too, I'd like to include them (anonymously)somehow in my own personal section of what I'm doing, and the story I uncovered as I went along.
Hunter, Hastings, Sykes, Stranshilloch, Galloway, Crosbie, Graham, Chesney, Dickson, Campbell Townsley, Matthew

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 October 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
Luath,what a wonderful addition to the story ! I'm so thrilled for you , how exciting. Thankyou for sharing this , it's been so heart warming and such a pleasure to read.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 October 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
This really does inspire and infect with joy.
Terrific.  :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 October 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
Luath, what a wonderful, amazing story this is to add to your Family History!  This is just the sort of thing that we all long to find, and you have certainly struck the jackpot, and been reunited with your wider family at the same time!  WOW, JUST WOW!

Thank you for posting your incredible story here, and I look forward, along with the others, to seeing how the story progresses.  Well done!

Jeanne  :)
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 October 15 14:42 BST (UK) »
A couple of additions to the story  :)  I phoned my aunt the other night to tell her about it all, she's the youngest of the 6 siblings.  She couldn't recall grandpa having a wedding ring as such, but said she did have a rose gold signet ring that was his- given to her after his death in 1977.  She says it's very worn, and the shank is broken. I  reckon this one was bought as a replacement for the one lost in the field.

Last night I got an e-mail from another aunt; throwaway line at the end of it - would I like granny's wedding dress?  Well.......... yes ofcourse!  I can now re-unite the wedding dress with the found ring for a while before it's shipped off to Australia. It's all coming together nicely. 
Thanks for all your lovely comments  on the story too, I'd like to include them (anonymously)somehow in my own personal section of what I'm doing, and the story I uncovered as I went along.

What a great surprise to be offered the wedding dress and thanks for sharing your lovely story.....any chance that you could get family members to wear the ring and the dress and take a photo for your family file?
That would make a great addition to go with your story.

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 October 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
Another snippet unearthed tonight  :)  I knew that my granny had worked in service at a house at Caerlaverock, Dumfriesshire, and that she had been brought into the drawing room to meet J.M.Barrie.  Tonight, in among some stuff, I unearthed a postcard sent to her while she was there. Not  sure who sent it, only the initials are in the signature.  However, the address  is Miss Janet Sykes, Eastpark, Caerlaverock, by Dumfries.  This Eastpark was Eastpark farm which is now the internationally renowned wildfowl sanctuary.
I also spoke to an auntie on the phone tonight who gave me a lead to follow up re a pic of my grandpa that appeared in one of the local papers, standing by the well at their 'smallholding'/croft at Johnstonebridge.  This is the well that my other aunt the other night told me that granny was going to hide all the children down if Hitler invaded!  Am sure I've seen that photo somewhere, will need to have some more delves!  In the meantime, will try the archives of the paper.
I really can't get enough of this!
Hunter, Hastings, Sykes, Stranshilloch, Galloway, Crosbie, Graham, Chesney, Dickson, Campbell Townsley, Matthew