Author Topic: Scarborough North Yorkshire South Side, James Ellis building  (Read 5213 times)

Offline greenamber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scarborough North Yorkshire South Side, James Ellis building
« on: Friday 18 September 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone put a date to this picture please?  The building caught fire after this and roof was damaged. The men are wearing distinctive hats.
Resized photo and removed original.

Offline greenamber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scarborough North Yorkshire South Side, James Ellis building
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Since posting have found whilst sorting my notes that there was a huge fire in 1858 when a large part of Sandside, where the building is, was burned. There was an article in the Scarborough Mercury 1858.  So the picture must some time before 1858.

The small part of the building which has Shipping Stores sign became a Sub Post office which moved in April 1903 to No 16 Sandside.

I have posted a picture of the Ellis Building which must have been taken after restoration with Est. 1858 on the side of the building. James Ellis, dark clothing, pictured in the doorway was born 1832 so would have been 26 in 1858 when he expanded his business from the Shipping Stores.  This picture was later.  Walter Stephenson (pictured) was born in 1894 so picture must have been taken shortly after.

In case this is of interest to anyone pictured are: Rachel Rawling Allen, Jack Allen? Child unknown, James William Watson,  Miss Tucker (post office) James Ellis, Jane Ellis holding Walter Stephenson, Ethel Mary Ellis, John Wheelan Ellis and Staff from the  PO. (Rachel Rawling Allen married John Wheelan Ellis)

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 15 18:08 BST (UK) »
It would help if you posted the original as the first photo has been manipulated...is it from a book? I doubt that it is 1858 unless it's a reprint from an ambrotype or a Dauguerrotype.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline greenamber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 September 15 19:46 BST (UK) »
I did not post the original as it is in such a poor state  I thought that the restored picture would show the people more clearly.  The original was amongst family papers pasted to the back of a school report.  I do not know if it is either of the two types you mention - way over my head I am afraid. I have posted it for you to see. 

I don't think it can be 1858  I think is before then.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Offline GHJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 16 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi GreenAmber, thanks for putting up the photos of the Ellis Building.

I am descended from the Ellis's. My grandmother (I understand) was a sister of Walter Stephenson (and daughter of Jane Ellis), listed in one of your photos, though I struggled to make him out!

I'd be interested in any info/photos you could share. My interest was stimulated by the article in the Scarborough Evening News re the South Bay Wreck (Jan 7th 2016).

I can't PM you as this is my first post.

Offline greenamber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks for your response and welcome to Rootschat.  I have messaged you so you can reply. 

I have looked on my tree and there were three Stephenson sisters Bessie, Ethel and Doris descended from Jane Ellis and Arthur Stephenson of Ossett.  This tree is well documented and I am happy to share any information you would like.

Offline GHJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi GreenAmber,

sorry not to reply directly to your RootsChat: I couldn't see how to do it, perhaps because I've not done 3 posts yet.

Bessie Lodge Stephenson was my great aunt, Walter my great uncle and Doris Wyrill Stephenson was my grandmother.

Would be great to see the Ellis photos from those days. We have some photos at my parents but it's not clear who is who nor from which side of the family they originate.

Was it you who supplied info to the Scarborough Evening News re the wreck?

Offline greenamber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I have edited this post as some of the information I received was incorrect.  The picture of the Ellis building with the people stood outside and the date 1858 was taken in 1895 and predates this one below which was taken some time after a fire which damaged the top storey.

Offline greenamber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »

I have edited this post as some of the information was incorrect because the pictures were in wrong date order and information given to me concerning the date of the fire was also incorrect.