Author Topic: Bishopauckland birth  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bishopauckland birth
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 September 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Okay so the census reference for 1901 is Piece 4713   Folio 200   Page 56

John Wright, head, 29, Insurance Agent, born Sunderland
Margaret Wright, wife, 25, born Sunderland
Sarah J Wright, daughter, age 2, born Sunderland

We aren't allowed to do look ups for the 1911 census, but if you have access to it, and that too says he was born in Sunderland, then could you tell us where the info about him being born in Bishop Auckland came from? The 1911 census would also give you the number of years since they were married, which would help to narrow down the certificate search.

I am not saying your info about his birthplace is incorrect, the 1901 census has the birthplaces 'dittoed' so that may be the incorrect place, but the 1911 would have been info given by him so is more likely to be right (if that makes sense)

Given Sarah J's age, they were likely married in the late 1890s, I have looked on FreeBMD for a John WRIGHT marriage to a Margaret Patterson and can't see one. Always an outside chance that Patterson was her birth surname but she may have been a young widow when she married so would have been in the register with her previous married name.

The only possible Agnes A Wright I can find a birth registration for was in Tynemouth District Q3 1910 (via Free BMD) I can't see another  Agnes (A) Wright born in the North East in the period 1910-1912.

I assume that one of their children (? possibly Agnes) is your direct ancestor, do you have any documentary evidence of her being born in 1911 (birth cert, baptism etc?)

Sorry to answer your question with lots more questions, but often we have to explore all possibilities before we can be sure that we have found the correct ancestors. Between us all (experience of people in here in looking, added onto to what you know about your family history from older generations) will get you there in the end, but we need to pool the info :-)

Boo

Offline janeann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 September 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry Gladys and Ethel are not the right one's, I do know for sure that Sarah J Wright and Agnes A Wright were sisters, so maybe I am looking at the wrong father and mother, Do you think this is my problem

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 September 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry Gladys and Ethel are not the right one's, I do know for sure that Sarah J Wright and Agnes A Wright were sisters, so maybe I am looking at the wrong father and mother, Do you think this is my problem

It could be, but unless you tell us more we can't say. 
Which of these girls (if either) was your grandmother? Do you have her marriage cert? That would tell you her father's name and occupation which would assist the census search for her parents.
Did she always live in County Durham?
Did they have any other known siblings?
Is your info about their parents' names based solely on the 1901 census you found or do you have other info?

We can help, but in order to do that we will need to know what info you have and where you got it from.
Baby steps, will get you there in the end :-)

Boo

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 September 15 16:45 BST (UK) »
Have you got a birth certificate for either of the girls Sarah J or Agnes A?

Agnes Andrew is quite an unusual combination of names. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline janeann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 September 15 12:04 BST (UK) »
thank you everyone for your help, but it seems I was looking up the wrong path.
I got to see my grandmothers marriage cert., (Agnes Andrew Wright) and her fathers name turns out to be Joseph Wright ( Know idea when he was born or where) In 1931 he was a soldier, and that is all I know about him. As for Sarah J Wright I was led to believe she was Agnes's sister but she is in fact her cousin.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 September 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
Okay, now we are cooking :-)

You now have a definite piece of information that can be used to try to trace your grandmother back.

I assume you have access to the 1911 census, if not Find My Past are having a free weekend if you register with them (don't need to pay, just register) so you could look today for a man called Joseph with a daughter called Agnes who was born 1911 +/- a year, somewhere in County Durham or Northumberland. Also look at FreeBMD to search for a child called Agnes WRIGHT birth registered 1910-1912 and see which, if any were registered in the North East.

I am not allowed to do look ups in the 1911 census on here, but I did look at FreeBMD the other day and a 'possible' was a birth registered in Q3 1910, Tynemouth district. North Tyneside registrars have an online index with their local references, but unfortunately this period isn't yet in the database. There is an email address on their website  registrars@northtyneside.gov.uk so an enquiry asking if the birth registered in Q3 1910 for Agnes A WRIGHT matches with the info you have (middle name Andrew, father's name Joseph) so that you can be sure its the right certificate to apply for 'may' get a reply if they have the time. Keep it short and to the point, the registrars are busy people and usually short staffed. Email is the best option, phone lines will be busy with more pressing enquiries for current registrations.

That's the starting point, take it a step at a time, if you can get the correct birth cert, you will then know the mother's name and maiden name and that will be the best way forward to confirm/discount any census entries you have found.

I'd also check army service records  to see if there is a likely Joseph WRIGHT, sometimes they have details of marriages and children - if you are lucky :-)

Start with the birth registration enquiry and see how you go from there.

Boo

Offline janeann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 September 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help, I will do what you suggest, but I will be away for a few days, but I promise to let you know how I get on with my search. ~Thanks again