Author Topic: Researching Walter Freer - Glasgow area  (Read 5026 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Walter Freer - Glasgow area
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 October 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Kenny, what is the source for the name Joseph (or John you said) Murray?

Has anyone been able to make out the names of parents for John Freer in that 1935 marriage entry? Do Canadian death certs in the 1970s also include parents' names for the deceased? The names showing on that entry from 1935 are certainly not Walter Freer and Margaret Jessie McDonald. Not sure why this couple have been put down in the family trees I have seen for John's (b. 1902) parents.  Margaret McDonald would have been c. 53 yrs old at this time.

Have you considered maybe contacting descendants of the children of Walter and Margaret to see if any of them have gone down the DNA route? There are a few trees on a/try which I am sure you have seen (not connected to John b. 1902).

John Freer b. 1902 was already at The Quarrier's Home, Bridge of Weir, Renfrewshire by the time of the 1911 census. See www.childrenshomes.org.uk/Quarriers/?LMCL=ks93Z9

Also, my Gran left her family home in Kilmarnock when she was in her early 20s to visit Canada alone...that was back in the 1920. A young, single woman, travelling alone, staying in a foreign country for a year....it doesn't tally up unless she was visiting her older, illegitimate brother.

Not really...So many people in your Gran's position headed off by themselves outside of the UK to start a new life.

Your Gran is the link to the Murray surname? She was born Murray? I am guessing you have researched her side of the family. She married in Canada?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk