Author Topic: John & Anne Godsall (pre 1654 marriage & deaths)  (Read 4830 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
John & Anne Godsall (pre 1654 marriage & deaths)
« on: Monday 21 September 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
My ancestor, Comfort Godsall (b. Colwall 25 Jan 1654, bapt. Colwall 22 Feb 1654) was the daughter of John Godsall and wife Anne.

I was wondering if anyone could help me trace the couple's marriage - I have nothing other than the above as a lead...

Colwall marriage transcriptions are available online only as of 1723.

Thanks!
Cimbrio :)
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John & Anne Godsall (pre 1654 marriage & deaths)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Checked this today and sorry I couldn't see a marriage.  The writing is very difficult to read so it could be that I just can't translate it.

Kay

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,

Many thanks for taking the trouble of checking this for me. Do you recall whether the marriage church records for that period exist?

Looks like I'll have to leave this until my next visit, whenever that may be :)

Cimbrio
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 September 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
The church marriage records exist for that period and are mixed bmd records.  The baptism for Comfort was just about understandable    This is a link to the Hereford Archive site with their list of Parish Record catalogue.  https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/local-history-and-heritage/archives-collections    The mixed bmd's are listed as General

If I go back again I can relook

Kay

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
Ugh - I hate those records when BMDs are all mixed up :( But at least they exist!

In fact Comfort's marriage to Richard Allen (no later than 1677) hasn't turned up either, but presumably took place in Colwall as tit's where the bride came from.

If another peep through the record for John and Ann Godsall's marriage as well as their daughter's isn't too much of an imposition I'd appreciate it, but I dare say I'll have to start planning a trip to Hereford/England next year...

Cimbrio

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
Yes - the records are mixed but they are at least separated on the page.  The biggest problem is the style of writing. 

I will have another look when I go and for Comfort's marriage.  Unlike Worcestershire they don't have an index of pre 1837 marriages, but given the proximity to the County boundary I will check the Worcestershire Index

Kay

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 September 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kay - of course, in your own good time if you happen to go to the Records Office, I'd appreciate if you could keep an eye open for these two marriages.

I've started discussing with the family about organising a trip to Hereford next year. Hopefully I will have fresh brickwalls by then :)

Cimbrio

PS: That's a pretty cat you've got there!

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 09:07 BST (UK) »
I think you will need quite a while in the Archives -They are amazing and so quiet

The cat has more brains than looks, but he knows how to switch on a pose for the camera :)

Kay

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 05:36 BST (UK) »
I probable need to plan a good two or three days there... Hopefully it is easy to reach from Hereford so my family can wonder around in the meantime while I carry out my investigations.cimbrio