Author Topic: William Peake  (Read 6343 times)

Offline kapeake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Peake
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
I do believe he is that boarder you mention, may make sense as he was traveling on ships so much. I appreciate your responses. I will follow up with the Bridson line and see if I can find out any more information.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
the problem is in 1881 his occupation is "General labourer" nothing to do with the sea - maybe as he was living in Liverpool his career at sea began after then

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
wonder if this is the ship's captain he was "given to"???

Merchant navy Crew Lists
William Peak
born Castleton
Ordinary Seaman
Vessel Cassoway
from 1 July 1876 to 31 Dec 1876
Previous vesselFishing
Vessel official number 64708
Vessel reg port Douglas
Master's last name Kelly
Master's address castletown Isle of man
Owner Edward Martin
owner's address Malew St Castletown

so wonder if he left the Merchant Navy in 1876 and "landed" at Liverpool where he laboured for a while

???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline kapeake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 18:19 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic, thank you!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Who did William marry - where and when?

Did he give a fathers name on his marriage cert?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kapeake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
He married twice. His first marriage ended when his wife and children died in New York City, USA during a flu epidemic at the turn of the century. Her name was Maggie O'Toole. He then married my great grandmother, Elizabeth Sattler in Buffalo, NY approximately in the early 1890's.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 September 15 09:07 BST (UK) »
If William was illegitimate you would expect his birth to be registered in his mothers maiden name
only if born in England - no civil registration on IoM (other than a very poorly used optional arrangement) until 1877/8 - illegitimates would actually be known under their father's name - the baptismal register merely states child of male and female with usually a note as to illegitimacy - there might be a presentment for fornication that would result in an appearance as a church consistorial court (records for such held by Manx Museum) but these records seldom if ever give the name of the child - it is possible tho rare for the woman to sue for maintenance from the father.

The Mormons with their insistance that the IoM followed the english custom re illegitimates lead many astray

on my Manxnotebook CD I have many of the records of this court - in court May 1861 a Elizabeth Bridson affiliated her child on James Peak who admitted the same

quick check of 1861 Castletown census indicates a James Peake s/o annuitant (gentleman crossed thru) James B Peake and wife Fanny - all children born England
More info is in the 1851 census when the Peake family is at College green Castletown James senior born London, with James W the son born in Shaldon Devon - judging from varied birth places for children family moved around and would appear to have only moved to IoM a little before the 1851 census

James junr would appear to be buried aged 34 at Malew 1 Sep 1874 (misread entry as James Peaks) - father James senr 5 Jun 1878 age 69 + mother Fanny 1887 age 74

at first I suspected  Elizth to be dau of Richard Bridson + Cath Christian - bapt Santan 18301212 - Richard was a farmer at Ballfurt but the Richard gfa in 1861 is an Ag Lab living in Queen [Hythe] street Castletown (somewhat of a poor neighbourhood - see page on www.manxnotebook.com under Castletown)- widower wife was Lucy Christie (she was illegitimate bapt Mal 18000400 )- however no Elizabeth in this family that I could see - Bridson is a common name and a Margt Bridson of Malew was also presented for fornication in 1860 and there is a gdau Louisa Leighall (a very non Manx name - Castletown was also home to the barracks and many illegitimate births registered to soldiers) - I wonder if Wm J [?james] Peak was actually a boarder rather a gson ?

yet more - the Peakes had moved to Castletown whilst one son was at King William's college - Robt Wm Youle Peake s/o J B Peake was entered as a Day boy in Aug 1848 and left mid summer 1851 noted as dying at sea c 1864 - it is possible other boys went to KWC but I only transcribed reg upto 1850 - KWC was a relatively cheap public school
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline kapeake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 September 15 14:12 BST (UK) »
I believe he may have been a boarder if both of his parents were deceased at that time. That's a lot of information, I'm not sure I quite understand the outcome, are you saying those were are possibilities but are actually not related?

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 September 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
no I was looking for potential Elizabeth Bridsons in 1861 census in Castletown area (Malew + Castletown) - with a 24yr old James I'd expect the woman to be around same age or somewhat younger - there are 2 unm possibilities in area one noted as 22yr niece of Robt Kelly in Derbyhaven (just down road from King Wm's colleg this was I think d/o Thomas Bridson + Margt Cubbon age 11 in 1851 Robt Kelly's wife was Judith Cubbon - noted as a servant) and the other a 17yr old dau of Eliz Bridson (provision dealer in Bridge st Castletown + widow of Robert)  - I suspect the former is more likely

I think James Peak did attend KWC - I don't have immediate access to my copy of KWC reg for this period but a later volume has index to earlier years and a J Peak is noted in prob early 1850's
any thing with a Manx Connection