Author Topic: Help finding what became of George Henry Mills  (Read 3484 times)

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding what became of George Henry Mills
« on: Tuesday 22 September 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, Please can anyone help me find out what became of George Henry Mills born 1891 Worcestershire England to George and Annie Mills (blacksmith and shopkeeper) of Collington Herefordshire?

I think he may have been the George Henry Mills  who arrived in St Johns Canada aboard The Virginian on 23rd April 1914 from Liverpool.
He gave his destination as Ottawa and his occupation as farmer and baker.He would have been about 23 years old and, as far as I know, unmarried.
After this I can find no trace of him.
I would love to know if he married and made a life for himself in Canada or if he possibly got caught up in WW1  but I can find no trace. Any help appreciated.
Hackett, Mills, Hart, Dunn

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding what became of George Henry Hackett
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Katy K,

I wonder if this is him?

There is this entry on the CWGC website: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/105134/HACKETT,%20G%20H

He was a corporal in the 49th Battalion, Canadian Infantry. Regimental No: 432182.

Next of kin given as: Elizabeth M Hackett of Vancouver, British Columbia.

Scratch that, its not him, his attestation paper states that this George Henry Hackett was born on 24th November 1885 in Oxford, Kent, England.

Link to attestation paper here: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/list.aspx?k=Surname%3a%22Hackett%22+AND+RegimentNum%3a%22432182%22

Back to square one unfortunately! Apologies for that.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
Not sure about the one above David - Birth year and place don't seem to agree with poster description.  Corporal George Henry Hackett born 1885 Otford, Kent, England died 2 June 1916 - Ypres (Ieper), West Flanders (West-Vlaanderen), Belgium  - Oosttaverne Wood Cemetery.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Yep, I should have checked the attestation paper first! My apologies again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding what became of George Henry Mills
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all those who tried to help. I've just realied I've typed the wrong name! I'd already done my Hackett research.  The name should be George Henry MILLS- Too many Georges in my family!
Hackett, Mills, Hart, Dunn

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Yep, I should have checked the attestation paper first! My apologies again.

Kind regards

David

Not a problem David - I was looking at that entry myself - puzzling because I couldn't find a birth to match him in UK or passenger list.  ::)

Cheers
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline marbel84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 01:13 BST (UK) »
There is a Batterham Family Tree on Ancestry that shows him never leaving England. If you contact the owner of the tree, perhaps you can share/compare.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Is this the George Henry Mills in 1891 Eastham Worcestershire.

George Mills  29
Anne Mills  27
Helen Mills  3
Caroline Mills  1
George Henry Mills  2 months born Eastham Worcestershire.
Louisa Dallow  14

and then in Brockhampton Collington Herefordshire 1901

George Mills  39 (Blacksmith and Grocer) Annie Mills  38
Ellen Mills  12 Caroline M Mills  11
George H Mills  10
John Mills  8 Thomas Mills  8
James S Mills  7 Alfred W Mills  6
Beatrice M Mills  4 Albert E Mills  1
Christopher W Mills  2 months.

Had moved on and was not with the family in 1911 - occupation seemed to be Baker & Confectioner which identifies him on the 1914 passenger lists as you said.  No one seems to have positive information on him after 1901, The anc trees seem to be a bit of a mish-mash.

Doesn't appear to be anything in Service Files of the First World War, 1914-1918 - Canadian Expeditionary Force  - this is the link if you want to try variation of names

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/search.aspx

After his arrival in 1914 - the next census was 1921 but so far am not finding anything positive.
Still looking.

Sandra

Offline marbel84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,
The only male on the 1921 Canadian Census who is even close, gives his birth year as 1896, his arrival in Canada in 1913 and his name Harry George Mills. In 1921 he is married to Hazel, but I could not find a marriage in Ontario.