Author Topic: Rachael Poulton also known as Angerstein (1843 - 1913)  (Read 10474 times)

Offline Tam the Dooter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rachael Poulton also known as Angerstein (1843 - 1913)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have replied.  Your help is much appreciated. You can see why this is a fascinating history where getting to the bottom of Rachael Poulton's history is a challenge.  I didn't mention it but when Georgina was baptised, Rachael and George Ovenden, the probable father of them all pretended to be a married couple from Exeter.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
I think that probably George Angerstein was a new man on the scene, and the family took on his name.
Otherwise, why does Georgina not name a father on her marriage? (If George Angersrtein, who is still around, was her father under a new name, then surely she would have named George with one of his surnames, as her father?)

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have replied.  Your help is much appreciated. You can see why this is a fascinating history where getting to the bottom of Rachael Poulton's history is a challenge.  I didn't mention it but when Georgina was baptised, Rachael and George Ovenden, the probable father of them all pretended to be a married couple from Exeter.

They didn't claim to be married - Georgina Rachel Eleanor born 21.09.1865 was baptised at St Peter Islington on 17.12.1865 as the daughter of George Ovenden (surveyor) and Rachel Poulton.  Abode (as you say) was recorded as Exeter, Devon.

Georgina's birth was registered (late, if the Sep 1865 birthdate is right) in Mar qtr 1866 Islington.  it is indexed under both the Ovenden and Poulton surnames, so the parents did not present themselves as married.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:21 BST (UK) »
I think that probably George Angerstein was a new man on the scene, and the family took on his name.
Otherwise, why does Georgina not name a father on her marriage? (If George Angersrtein, who is still around, was her father under a new name, then surely she would have named George with one of his surnames, as her father?)

I see that George Ovenden witnessed Georgina's marriage.  Interestingly the stated occupations of George Ovenden and George Angerstein (land surveyor/surveyor) are the same where they appear in the baptism and marriage records for the children.  So was Angerstein an alias of George O?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Even stranger if the George Overden, the witness, is actually her father! Especially as within a week brother George marries and states George Angerstein is his father . . . .  marrying from same address, at same church.

But I had missed the fact that they are both surveyors!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tam the Dooter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:28 BST (UK) »
To avm - you're right  I glossed the two names although Georgina was registered as Ovenden and not Poulton.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
To avm - you're right  I glossed the two names although Georgina was registered as Ovenden and not Poulton.

You will see from FreeBMD that her birth registration is indexed under both Ovenden and Poulton, indicating that the parents did not present themselves as married (hence the indexing under both the mother's surname and the father's surname).

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:34 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census shows a George Ovenden, surveyor (40 b Middlesex) with wife Anna and several children at 79 Guilford St, St Pancras: RG10/215/89/30.

Perhaps you already know about George?

Offline Tam the Dooter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:36 BST (UK) »

I see that George Ovenden witnessed Georgina's marriage.  Interestingly the stated occupations of George Ovenden and George Angerstein (land surveyor/surveyor) are the same where they appear in the baptism and marriage records for the children.  So was Angerstein an alias of George O?

That's the root of what I am trying to get clear. The name Angerstein (as far as I can tell) first appears at the baptisms of George Henry and Lillian in December 1875 when George and Rachael Angerstein are recorded as the parents.  From there all the children but Georgina take the name of Angerstein although in 1932 Lillian Reeves as she became had the marriage record corrected from Angerstein to Poulton because I suspect she found that her birth certificate did not match the name she was married in.