Author Topic: W Bagley from Pilton  (Read 5437 times)

Offline G N Asher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
W Bagley from Pilton
« on: Wednesday 23 September 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,I am new to this site.
Any info on William BAGLEY. He was born in Pilton 1821. He married Jane Davenport from Priors Marston. I have him as a 'Car Proprietor' in Leamington on the 1851 census.He died between then and 1861.
He was my GGGF. His second son Charles,1853, came to Liverpool and was a 'General Baker'.
Any info on William and his family would be much welcomed.
Dave.

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: W Bagley from Pilton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
I believe your William died in Q2 1860 (Warwick reg. distr., volume 6d, page 271). He was buried on 12 May 1860 in the Parish of All Saints, Leamington Priors, aged 40 years.

Offline G N Asher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
Looks like William and Jane had eight children after their marriage - 4 boys and 4 girls. In order of birth their first (and second) names were:
Henry Thomas;
Thomas William Davenport;
Mary Jane;
Emily Ann;
Charles Joseph;
Hannah Davenport;
Rebecca Goode; and
Richard Lockington

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 15:37 BST (UK) »
And your Charles, I believe was Charles Joseph Bagley, whose birth was registered in Q3, 1852 (Warwick, 6d, 405) and who was baptised on 2 November 1862 at All Saints, Leamington Priors - the family living on High Street at the time. Note - he was baptised 10 years after his birth. I thought I had made a mistake but double checked. Sister Emily Ann was also christened on the same day.

Offline G N Asher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
I have Thomas and Mary Davenport as brother and sister in law. Not their children but Jane's brother and sister,'51 census.
The kids -
Thomas,1848.
Mary,'50.
Emily,'51.
Charles,'53.
Rebecca,'54.
Richard,'60.

Charles,my GGF,seems to have got lost between the '61 census when he was living in Leamington Priors and the 1901 census when he is in Liverpool,a widower with three children all born in L,pool aged between 11,18 and 25.
He married Amy Louisa Gough from Priors Marston in Liverpool 1874 and I have records of 5 children.
Dave.

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 September 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
I believe the full name of the 3 year old Thomas on the 1851 census is Thomas William Davenport Bagley. Also named on the census in addition to Jane (wife of William) is 1 year old Mary and 0 year old Emily, as well as Thomas and Mary Davenport (brother in law and sister in law to William, siblings of Jane). Thomas William Davenport Bagley went on to marry Emma Brookes on 29 October 1876 at All Saints, Leamington.

Henry Thomas Bagley and Hannah Davenport Bagley are not included in your list of kids. I hope this may shed some light:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:ND8L-Y6J - Henry Thomas Bagley's christening in 1846;

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J83X-SWB - Henry Thomas Bagley's burial in 1847

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2XSG-5TD - Hannah Davenport Bagley's birth registration in Q4, 1854;

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J83X-6TT - Hannah Davenport Bagley's burial (aged 6 on 11 Dec 1860) at Leamington All Saints

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 September 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I couldn't find Charles on the 1871 but he is on the 1881 with his family. Hope this fills in some of the gaps:

1881 - as transcribed by FS: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQ65-TCK

Regards, Vimto

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 September 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave, I think I've traced Charles J Bagley in the 1871 census. He is a visitor at the home of George Nicholson (a baker) who had a shop on Norton Street, King's Norton (RG10/3079/152/21).

Charles J Bagley is recorded as an unmarried 16 year old, a "French Polisher" born in "Warwickshire, Leamington"