Author Topic: Missing in action.  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing in action.
« on: Thursday 24 September 15 08:03 BST (UK) »
Good morning folks, I wonder if I can ask for some help? I have an ancestor,who was reported as missing, and later found to be P.O.W,at what point would his n.o.k. have been informed A- re his being missing, B- his internment?,
Thanks,Tom.
Calland/Campbell/Pilkington/Wignall/Varley/Briscoe

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Missing in action.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 15 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is no definitive answer to your question.  Notification of 'missing in action' usually came through within days or weeks, however notification of internment could take months depending on circumstances as this would come from  the POW camp through various channels.
Have you seen his service record?
K8T

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
The War Office used the term 'Missing'.

Next of Kin would receive a note from the War Office than the soldier was missing. This may have been followed by a letter from his platoon commander giving more details. At the same time the War Office would ask the Red Cross if he was listed amongst the POWs. It might have taken several months to get a reply. If he was not amongst the POWs his death was assumed from the date he went missing.

You should check the ICRC site. They have cards which often say when he was captured and when they contacted his NoK.

Ken

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hello K8T, thank you for replying. Yes I have that info, he was reported missing on 24/12/14 by 'o.c. Bn', a later report from the War Office dated 18/03/'15 stating that he was in Wittenburg (and later transferred to Zerbst), what I was hoping to discover was how long his wife would have had to wait to learn of his fate? I'm attempting to write his (and 3 other ancestors) miltary history for private facebook groups I run,and would have liked to show the strain his family must have been under.I'm still trying to sift through all the info I have to pinpoint the date of his capture, and am almost there I think (or as close as I can get).
One thing puzzling me is a reference to his being in a British camp on 08/01/'19, and leaving this place later in Jan?

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
The War Office used the term 'Missing'.

Next of Kin would receive a note from the War Office than the soldier was missing. This may have been followed by a letter from his platoon commander giving more details. At the same time the War Office would ask the Red Cross if he was listed amongst the POWs. It might have taken several months to get a reply. If he was not amongst the POWs his death was assumed from the date he went missing.

You should check the ICRC site. They have cards which often say when he was captured and when they contacted his NoK.

Ken
Hello again Ken, the info I have came from the ICRC site, but apart from the date of capture,I didn't see any mention of Nok notification, that would have been very useful.....

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
I am presently researching the names on the local war memorial in order to publish biographies on each person.  One particular soldier had a letter within his service record from his wife to the War Office  She had been told that he was missing in action and waited three months before writing to the war office asking for more information as the suspense was too much to bear.  Unfortunately she was told that he had been killed, so this is some indication of how the family suffered back home waiting for news.
K8T

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 September 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

You could check his local newspapers. Killed, wounded and missing were usually recorded.

Ken

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 September 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
I am presently researching the names on the local war memorial in order to publish biographies on each person.  One particular soldier had a letter within his service record from his wife to the War Office  She had been told that he was missing in action and waited three months before writing to the war office asking for more information as the suspense was too much to bear.  Unfortunately she was told that he had been killed, so this is some indication of how the family suffered back home waiting for news.
K8T
...and I thought I had a job on !!.....

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 September 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

You could check his local newspapers. Killed, wounded and missing were usually recorded.

Ken
Thanks Ken, a good idea,I'll look into that.