Author Topic: Richard Griffith buried 1820 at St. Cybi's Church, Holyhead  (Read 1333 times)

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Griffith buried 1820 at St. Cybi's Church, Holyhead
« on: Thursday 24 September 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
My ggg-grandfather, Richard Griffith (1752-1820), the father of Richard Griffith of the 'Valuations' of Ireland fame, lived in Millicent, Co. Kildare, but around 1815 he became the Irish Packets Agent and Postmaster for the General Post Office at Holyhead, Anglesey.  He died in 1820 at Holyhead and was buried at St. Cybi's.  i would be very grateful if anyone who is local, or planning to visit St. Cybi's Church, could see if they can find his grave and transcribe the inscription. 

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Griffith buried 1820 at St. Cybi's Church, Holyhead
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 15 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if you are aware of Gwynedd Family History Society and their web site?

From them you can purchase numerous publications and these may be relevant to your search -

1. Burials Index for Holyhead covering the period 1813-1850 (reference D007 - cost £5.50 for A4 booklet and
2. Memorial Inscription Booklet for Holyhead - St Cybi (reference M215 - cost £5.00 for A4 booklet). I don't know if this would cover the 1820 date but you could always enquire.

Alan

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi tompion,

Do you have this info?  Note that his death year is given as 1822, not 1820
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=120635643

brigau

* Added:  find a grave will also photograph individual memorial stones on request. 

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 September 15 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan and Br1gau,

The 'find a grave' entry is definitely for my ggg-grandfather and I have looked at this site before and, although it gives info about him, mostly accurate, there is no picture of his actual gravestone.  Perhaps I should dig around their site and see how you can try and get a gravestone photo.

Or splash out on the booklets mentioned by Alan.

Regards tompion