Author Topic: Electoral rolls for Penge (Anerley) 1949  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Joan Newman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Electoral rolls for Penge (Anerley) 1949
« on: Friday 25 September 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's address in 1949 was Anerley House, Anerley, later called Orchard House see my 'brick wall' question in WDYTYA magazine August issue. 

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral rolls for Penge (Anerley) 1949
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 September 15 00:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Can you tell us your Grandfather's name and exacly what you would like to know?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joan Newman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's name was Albert Waterson and he was a retired bricklayer.  He died from serious injuries including a ruptured aorta.  Such injuries are only likely to have occurred either from a road traffic accident or a fall from a height but I haven't managed to track down a coroner's report despite contacting various history centres, etc. 

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to welcome you to Rootschat.

Have you got his death certificate, what does it give as the cause of death and does it mention a postmortem or coroner's inquest? 

A postmortem and coroner's inquest would most likely have been held in the borough where he died, so that would be the first place to start. I think I have read though that not all records were kept, I'm sure some one on here will know more about that.

Another thing to try is the local papers, as if it was an accident it is likely to have been reported in that.

Is this his death?

Deaths Mar 1949   
Waterson    Albert    76    Bromley    5b   114    
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 02:09 BST (UK) »
I can confirm that he was at Anerley House in the "1949" Electoral roll (qualifying date 30-Jun-1948) and not in 1950 (q.d. 10-Jun-1949), but I don't have earlier ERs here. I didn't find him in spot checks in pre-WW2 directories for Penge and neighbouring Beckenham.

I've looked at headlines in one of the local 'papers for the first quarter of 1949 without finding anything, but I didn't look at every tiny paragraph, and an inquest might have occurred later. Knowing the exact DoD would help. 
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Joan Newman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
my grandfather Albert Waterson died on 16/01/1949 and an inquest was held on the 20/01/1949.  Registration District Bromley, sub district Beckenham, Kent.  His death was due to shock and haemorrhage due to multiple injuries, fractured spine, pelvis, ribs and fractured aorta.  Post mortem recorded an open verdict.

Thanks for the confirmation that he was living at Anerley House in 1948.  However it would be good if I could find out how long before that he had lived there and if he had worked as a bricklayer in that area prior to retirement.  He disappeared from Cambridge in 1919 leaving his wife and 12 children, including my dad.  Albert was named in his sister's Will in 1947 but as he couldn't be found his children benefited from a small amount each.     Joan

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
I've now scoured the local 'papers, Beckenham & penge Advertiser and Beckenham Journal, immediately after those dates, without finding anything.

He was at Anerley House in the first post-WW2 electoral roll, qualifying date 30-Jun-1945, so probably one of its first residents when it opened at the end of the war as a retirement home in the former North Surrey District School building. Initially it was for men only, so if he'd acquired another wife since he left your grandmother, she was longer with him.

I've looked without success in all the directories covering Beckenham & Penge from 1922-39 and also the 1939 electoral roll, though as the roll isn't indexed by name I might have missed him. With nearly 250 residents and near the meeting-point of 5 local authorities, it's likely the home had a wide catchment area.

I think the best bet is to wait for the National Registration data to go online, which will narrow down the search a bit.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Joan Newman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 October 15 23:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your post.  I will do as you suggest and wait for the 1939 register.  It's kind of you to spend your time doing all this research for me  and it is much appreciated.

Offline maz1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 November 20 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry to but in, Chris I noticed you interest in Penge, beckenham etc. I have some various leaflets/journals of some of those areas I no longer need. Please contact me
thanks Maz
ps I was born in Beckenham lived in Penge til 6. Morland Road.