Author Topic: any information on my great Grandfather William Davis  (Read 15472 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: any information on my great Grandfather William Davis
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 November 15 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kennyd22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 December 15 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,
        Thanks so much for all that important information. I wonder from your signature do you live in NZ as we do? We are in the North close to Auckland. Yes ,please delve deeper if you can as I am relatively new to genealogical research but must admit am enjoying it immensely.

Offline Joan Bowles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 February 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »

Eliza Davis b 1884 married Edward R Jackson

These two were my Maternal grandparents.
Regards,
Joan
Cavan, Ireland

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 February 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan,

I have two daughters for Edward Rowlette Jackson and Eliza Davis:

Violet Frances Jackson (who died 2003) married Oswald Oliver Peel
Elizabeth Isabella Jackson(died 1993) who married William T Black

And one son, Norman Bennett Jackson who died 1983.

I will have had some of this information from  L Peel. However I also have some information on the Black family as William Thomas Black was the son of Isabella Marrion Black, daughter of my 2x gt Aunt Jane Livingston. I checked back on Wm T Black's father Wm Henry Black also so I would know which Black family was which.  These families are in my Livingston family tree in Ancestry

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 February 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark

That is the right location. The tombstone photo I have for A Marrion Black (d 17 Jul 1953) and husband William Henry Black (d 9 June 1965) is Carrowmacarrick, and their son John Black who died 1979 at Barnbrack. I have it in with the photos I took at Beltra in 1999 but my Rathbarron  photos are on the next page.

I do not have any data from the next generation though, so cannot place David Black who died 2007.

The Rathbarron church is just down the road from the original farm of Thomas Livingston and his Davis neighbour.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 February 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
By the way the tombstone does say Isabella Marrion Black, Carrowmacarrick, it is just that the ell bits have lost their lettering so the A was on its own. And the Ca of carromacarrick has also faded.

And I should say John Black of Barnabrack died 6 Dec 1979.

Offline Joan Bowles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 February 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda, I had never heard of this site till yesterday so decided to have a peep last night and came across your post.
Elizabeth Isabella Jackson (Known as Lily) was my mother, I was Joan Black from Rathbarron parish (Killoran)
Norman Jackson, the 2nd name Bennett, does not sound right, will try and check it out.
There was another son Edward, who died about 4 years ago in U.K. aged 93. He has 3 sons.
I also think there is a slight mix up of Davis, my great grandparents did not live at Rathbarron they lived at a location about 3 miles away, it was know as Green Road, Coolaney, but possibly had another address other than Green Road.
Where are you living.
Joan.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 24 February 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan,

I am in New Zealand and have only visited Sigo 3 times. My first visit was in 1999 when my mother and I stayed with one of her Livingstone 2nd cousins at Cuiltybar near Coolaney. His uncle was John McMaster who lived in the Rathbarron farmhouse of Thomas Livingston (Thomas Levingston in Griffiths) who was the father of Ann Livingston b c 1807 who married James Davis of Green Road.

Another 2n cousin in the Livingstone family was still farming the Gortakeeran farm of my 2x gt grandfather John Livingston.

My gt grandgather William Livingston was in the RIC so did not live in Sligo but married a Clarke from Skreen and both are buried at the Skreen Church. My parents visited with the Clarke cousins in 1982. I think it may have been one of the Clarke connections who had the key to the gate of Beltra cemetery, which is where Isabella and William Henry Black are buried. I recognise the ground covering creeper that we had to wade through to see the tombstones. I would have taken the photo as I knew my 2x gt grandfather's youngest sister Jane Livingston b1861 married a Thomas Black from Ballysadare, but at that time I did not know as much about the Davis family.

I don't think there are likely to be two Isabella Marrion Blacks married to William Henry Blacks. I have your grandfather William Thomas Black as born 1 Sep 1920m which is too late to be able to check his parents on the irishgenealogy site. (Wm T died 1972 at Ballymacarrick). But if he had a sister Isabella Black b Dec 1912 who married Percy Nairn then I can check her birth which will name her parents. I also have a Crofton Black listed as a brother of William T Black and another Crofton as brother of William Henry Black.

I have not been back in this family in my tree since the irishgenealogy site opened. I am currently taking my first look at the Clarke family since the irishgenealogy site opened.

It would have been in 1999  that I met your 2nd cousin? L Peel who had researched the Davis family. I think she was living with her grandmother Violet Jackson at the time. I do have access to her private tree on Ancestry but cannot see the names of any living family. Edward would be the one whose name I cannot see as he is still marked as living on that tree.

Cheers

Linda