Author Topic: any information on my great Grandfather William Davis  (Read 15475 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: any information on my great Grandfather William Davis
« Reply #45 on: Monday 17 September 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
Starting at the end of the list of names with my ancestors:

Thomas Livingston (1782-1871)
Thomas Livingston (born circa 1782) is the earliest Livingston in our family tree as at 2012. The earliest record we have is the mention in the O’Hara Estate (Sligo) records of 1846 which says that a Thomas Leviston has sown “cabbages and 2 acres of potatoes and 3  acres of oats” on the land at Rathbarron, Sligo. There is no record of Thomas at Rathbarron prior to 1800 and neither does he appear anywhere in the Tithes in 1825 so either Thomas did not rent land prior to 1848 (i.e could have lived in a town) or he was not in Ireland.

Ann (1794-1877)
Ann Livingston, a farmer’s widow who died at Rathbarron on 11 Jul 1877 aged 93 was probably Thomas’s wife. Ann was born c 1794. George Whyte was present at her death. (George Whyte married Ann Livingston, granddaughter of Thomas, daughter of my 2x gt grandfather John Livingston).

The next generation are the ones I listed back on ?page 3 of this thread. Ann Livingston and James Davis

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 17 September 18 07:07 BST (UK) »

Next two generations.

Ann LIVINGSTON (1807-1885)

Ann born c1807 was probably the oldest daughter of Thomas and Ann Livingston.
Ann married (probably c1830) James DAVIS son of William DAVIS and Catherine ARMSTRONG of Rathbarron. James Davis was born c 1811 and died in Coolaney on 3 July 1876 aged 65.

The Davis family lived at Green Rd, Coolaney.

Ann died 1885 aged 78.

Eliza Jane DAVIS  (1838-1907)
    m Daniel CREAN on 7 Mar 1859 in Killoran. 
In 1901 census Daniel & Elizza Crean at Carrickbonagher, Co Sligo
Eliza Jane died 23 Feb 1907. Daniel Crean died 22 Dec 1923
CHN:
   James Crean (1870-1958) Cloonacurrah. Married Elizabeth Black. 1911 =5 sons, 4 daughters.
   Thomas Crean (1872-1953) Carrickbanagher. Married 1910 Mary Jane. 8 chn born >1911
   William Crean (1874 -?)
John Crean (1875-1914) Pennsylvania USA. Married Margaret Davis, dau of William Davis and Jane Craig. One son John born 1910 (another son John b1906 died 1906)
   Joseph Crean (1881-?)
   Robert Crean (1883 - ?)
   Mary Anne Crean (1885 - ?) married 1911 to John Martin Thompson. One daughter.
   Frederick Crean (1887-1889)
   Richard Crean (1889-1971) Collooney. Married 1936 to Anne Irwin. One daughter.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 17 September 18 07:30 BST (UK) »
By the time I get to that 3rd generation, Eliza Davis and Daniel Crean, my written notes are getting more sparse and are not as up to date as my Ancestry tree.

For instance Thomas Crean (1872-1953) married Mary Jane Craven and I think I have one more son for his older bother James Crean born 1870.

I do not have a date of death for Mary Ann Crean or her husband John Martin Thompson but I do have more children in my Ancestry Livingston tree than the one daughter in my notes .

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 17 September 18 07:39 BST (UK) »
So to answer your question; yes the details appear to be correct. I have the same dates and spouses for Olive and Eileen.

Olive Black 1948-2016 married John Fraser 1948-2014.
Eileen Thompson 1918-2015 married John Black 1910-1979.
Mary Anne Crean 1885-____ married John Thompson 1898-____.

I can't seem to find a way to copy text details from my tree (other than screenshot) so will have to type it:

Eileen born 1918, b Claragh, Lavagh, Ballymote, Achonry Parish. (If that makes sense)
         died 26 Mar 2015, Barnabrack, Beltra, Dromard.

Offline The Benns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 17 September 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
Linda wow! That's fantastic! Thank you so very much! Eileens sister Ivy Goulden now 94 is still alive, I'm going to "interview" her soon so I will get the details from her about her siblings and I will post them here. Coincidentally her niece (dont know her name) Olive Thompsons daughter from New Zealand is going to visit her on Tuesday. You have been a great help thank you again. Louise

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 17 September 18 07:53 BST (UK) »
The death has occurred of Eileen BLACK (née Thompson) Barnabrack, Beltra, Sligo

Peacefully in her 97th year. Reposing at her residence on Sunday from 12 noon until 5pm with removal at 6pm to Christ Church, Dromard. Funeral Service on Monday at 2pm followed by burial in adjoining cemetery.

Date Published: Saturday 28th March 2015 

https://rip.ie/death-notice/eileen-black-beltra-sligo/252382
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 17 September 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise

My parents first visited Ireland in 1982 and met another couple from NZ on the boat across to Ireland. There was great surprise all round when my parents were in Sligo and were taken "up the mountain" to visit Eileen, only to find the other couple were also visiting.

Sorry I could not tell you now who the other couple were. My mother and I again visited Eileen in 1999. We also visited Annie Goulden nee Boyd who was another cousin of my mother's. I am not sure if I knew that Ivy had married a Goulden. I was told that someone on the Livingston side had married a Goulden but not from the same family as Annie's husband Phillip Goulden. Annie was my maternal grandfather's cousin on the Clarke side (Skreen). Ivy Goulden is a year older than my mother.

Cheers

Linda