Author Topic: William Vickress (b.1787 Hope-unde-Dinmore) origins  (Read 1003 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
William Vickress (b.1787 Hope-unde-Dinmore) origins
« on: Sunday 27 September 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to link my ancestor, William Vickress (bp. 12 april 1787 Hope-under-Dinmore) to a larger Vickress family from Hope-under-Dinmore whose tree I have drawn up with the help of FamilySearch records and a public tree on Ancestry.

My William was the son of William Sr. and Mary, and the only candidates I found married in nearby Wellington, William Vickress and Mary Williams, married on 12 Jul 1784, which fits with a birth of a Mary Williams in Wellington in 1763.

William Sr.'s birth and parentage is where the mystery begins. An old contact suggested William Vickress (bp. 29 Apr 1764 Wellington) was my William's father, but I haven't found the entry on FamilySearch. Furthermore, this William is supposed to be the son of Thomas Vickress and Mary Harris (marriage recorded Bodenham 1755).

There are two possible Thomas Vickress I can find who could have "done the job":
Nr 1. The son of Edward and Susanna Vickress, b. Bodenham 1740.
Nr 2. The son of William and Ann Vickress, b. Hope 1729.

(I know one of the above married Susannah Cox in 1761 in Hope - Nr 2?- so the other was probably my William's grandfather...)

This is a stab in the dark and a quite long-winded, but after several hours of going round in circles I wondered if anyone could help?

Note the surname is often spelt Vicarage, Viccarage, Vicaradge, Viccaridge, Vicarridge, Vickars, Vicarige...
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Vickress (b.1787 Hope-unde-Dinmore) origins
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 09:01 BST (UK) »
Do you a death for William Vickress Snr??  If not I can  check of Vickress burials when I am looking at your Gatehouse/Gittoes ancesters on the Hope under Dinmore Parish Records

Best Wishes Kay

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 05:34 BST (UK) »
Unfortnately Indon't. I remember checking for all Vickresses I could in Hope many years ago in the old records office but I think thenindex only covered postb1837... I dont have my notes with me from thentime sonI light be mistaken thougH... Hope they will be less elusiVe than the Gittoes. Apologies for typos, typing in phone...
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 06:01 BST (UK) »
I will have a look when I go. At least the surnames should all start with Vic  :)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
Had a look today and sadly not much luck. There were 3 burials of a William Vickress at Hope
15  Nov 1779, 4 May 1804 and 28 Dec 1810  but no ages were listed.  However I only found 1 burial  for a Mary Vickress - 24 July 1824 age 70

I also looked for the bapt you mentioned in of a Willliam Vickresss in 1764 in Wellington  and couldn't find it either side either!!   Not much help!!

Kay