Author Topic: Feathers Street, Flint in 1870s?  (Read 4919 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Feathers Street, Flint in 1870s?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 November 15 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Ah, it said "Feather Street" on the sign at the end of the road, when I was here,  and I went and believed it. Now I'm confused.... as usual. I think the number in the early 1870s may have been "5", but can't find exactly the reference that makes me think that. Thank you again for your helpful input(s).
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 November 15 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes I know the sign you referring to. Some of early census returns did have a few odd numbers.
If you go on the link from Shep, row 11 centre and row 12 ex rt. are the same photo. These could be the bricked up odd number houses, so you could be looking at 1.3.5. They are now store rooms for the shops in Church Street, at the back of the photograph.
On that Flint site there are a number of early maps and you may get a better idea when they enlarged.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 December 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Junius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 October 21 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I was looking through the site and came across your post and wondered if you were still looking for information. I was born in 27 Feather Street in 1940 and lived there until They knocked our house down to build the flats in the early 1960's. If you look at the first photo on your link it shows the part of the Welsh Chapel at the top of the street. Our house was directly opposite the Chapel, where the rear of the library is now. Our house was one of the first to be knocked down. The pub that is mentioned in a number of the replies was The Three Pigeons. It was about 10 metres away from our house and many was the Saturday night I was kept awake by the revellers singing their loud songs.
I always regret not taking any photos, and the door number, before we left. I have a street map of Flint from 1870, but no photos. I can try and send you a copy if your interested.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 October 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
I did find some images of the area, actually - an ancestor of my OH lodged there, we think he was killed in a mining accident c.1870 /75. The actual address was gleaned from a newspaper article, where he had been robbed by a fellow lodger!!
His son and the son's mother moved completely away from Flintshire very shortly after the son's birth, so he didn't grow up there. Thank you very much, Junius.
TY

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 October 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
ThrelfallYorky: I will try and find the census returns for Feather St. (They are currently in a very safe place!) Your ancestor should be on the 1861 unless you have already done that>
Junius: You are about 4 years older than me and we left in 1950ish. I am still trying to establish which of the houses was No68, which was very close to the Chapel you mentioned. I may be able to get a better idea when the 1921 census comes out in January. You and I lived more or less opposite to each  other. By the way the Three pigeons was in Coleshill St.

Offline Junius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 October 21 20:34 BST (UK) »
Your right of course, the Three Pigeons was in Coleshill Street, but in all my time there I never heard described as anything other than as being 'at the top of Feather Street'. I've been trying to think of where 68 might be, but while I could still name most of the residents that were in the street, I'd struggle with what number they lived in. The house next to the Chapel you mentioned was always referred to as The Chapel House, although it didn't have anything to do with the Chapel as far as I know. I can still picture the daughter who used to live there, quiet girl.
If you lived almost opposite me then you must know who I am. If you can tell me what number you lived in, I can have a try at working out where 68 was and who lived there.

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 October 21 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Junius: I moved from Flint circa 1948 and have no recollection of Feather Street at all. My father moved to Flint in the late 1920's and worked at Pumphreys. He lodged at 68 Feather St. with a "nice old white haired lady''. She was the widow of the licensee of the Red Lion in Church St. I think her name was Selina Lloyd (not too sure of the Christian name) . She died during the war and left the house to my dad in her will. He was then a belt man in Courtaulds. He later married and I was born there in 1944.
I have looked at photographs of the top end of the street and tried to de-cypher the door numbers. It may be that 'Chapel House' is 70 so my birth place would be next to it. When you have one more posts I think I can send you a personal message. Regards Eldon.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
This 1963-1967 map shows the "Before" + house numbers
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/324260/373016/12/100954

You should be able to zoom in (if necessary) to make out the numbers.
Click on the 1967-1975 map for the "After" - unnumbered