Author Topic: WILLIAM BRANDISH - Alive but can't find him on the census...  (Read 2052 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM BRANDISH - Alive but can't find him on the census...
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
I've now got William's death certificate, and it's all become more puzzling:

1881 and 1891 : William, Alice and children living at 60 Lissadell St, Pendleton, Salford

1901: Alice and children at 3 Strawberry Hill, in same enumeration district. Alice is shown as Head, I can't find William on the census at all - my original question. An unrelated family are at 60 Lissadell St

1903 : Alice dies

1904: William dies of "bronchitis enteritis" - his occupation is "sawyer (journeyman)", so possibly a work-related disease. His address is given as 64 Lissadell St. On the earlier censuses, no.64 either isn't listed or is shown as "office". His son Hugh registers the death. His address is given as 15 Chaney St.

So I've still no idea where William had disappeared to on census night in 1901, or why he ended up back on Lissadell St by 1904, but at a number that previously wasn't listed as a house! All I can think of now is to see if there are any street directories for Salford that might throw any further light. Any other thoughts?

1911 I ha
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
Here's another address for Hugh in 1904

Marriage: 11 Jun 1904 St Thomas, Pendleton, Lancs.
Hugh Brandish - 24, Labourer, Bachelor, 78 Harding St.
Leah Knight - 20, Weaver, Spinster, 4 Brierley St., Pendleton
    Groom's Father: William Brandish, (deceased), Sawyer
    Bride's Father: Thomas Knight, Labourer
    Witness: James Currie; Margaret Alice Brandish

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Salford/Pendleton/stthomas/marriages_1904-1908.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 October 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
I checked in Slater's 1903 directory and there is no specific listing for 64 Lissadel Street. The Co-op was at 52-54, and Joseph Schofield, fried fish dealer was at 66 (on the corner with Strawberry Hill). In between 54 and 66 was Grant & Aldcroft, Timber Merchants, Canal Side Sawing, Planing and Moulding Mills.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 October 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
I checked in Slater's 1903 directory and there is no specific listing for 64 Lissadel Street. The Co-op was at 52-54, and Joseph Schofield, fried fish dealer was at 66 (on the corner with Strawberry Hill). In between 54 and 66 was Grant & Aldcroft, Timber Merchants, Canal Side Sawing, Planing and Moulding Mills.

Many thanks for doing that Shaun.  That allies with the census, which either doesn't list no.64 or says it's an office. However, it's just struck me - a timber merchant. William was a sawyer. The family are at no.60 on several censuses - does that mean they were living on company premises? This gets more intriguing! It might explain why William's death certificate says no.64 and the family had lived at no.60, if in fact it was all the same company buildings. It'd be interesting to look at some earlier street directories. Also, there's a family shown at no.60 on the 1901 census. I think I may go back and have another look at the censuses as well, and see which of those numbers between 54 and 66 are shown as occupied, and if the occupations of the occupiers related to the timber works.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).