Author Topic: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)  (Read 21127 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Any Help Please for family and children of:-
Captain, John Hood

An advert dated 21 September 1778 indicates that the Ship called "Brothers", Captained by John Hood, along with other ships in a list traded between Selby and London.

Also stopping at many Yorkshire places (named). A regular return of the said ships from Selby to London. From the Gun-and-Shot Wharfe, Southwark, London to Selby and York, the advert states.

The following seem to be linked to John Hood:-

London and Surrey Bond marriage bond allegation 17 August 1778
John Hood parish of Scarborough, a mariner Widower to Sarah Hammond Widow
ref MS 10091E/91 (Not Seen)

Selby 10 April 1795 Elizabeth Turner Baptised 1st daughter of Charles & Morland.
... "Morland dau of John Hood of Selby, Mariner by Elizth his wife, dau of John Spencer of Scarbro', Mariner. Born 6th Apl"
Transcription - Not checked.

Morland Hood (or Maudland Hood, Spinster aged 20 Married Charles Turner at Selby 27 November 1794) was the daughter of John Hood of Selby, Mariner, with Elizabeth Spencer, whose Father was John Spencer of Scarborough.

There is an August 1803 Burial record at Selby of Jane Hood wife of John Hood, Mariner.
Also a burial of John Hood at Selby 4 April 1819 aged 82 (Occupation not given).

Question
My 4 x Gt Grandfather George Hood, Cooper, Tanner and Brewer was from Selby and married Sarah Russel in Selby 18 July 1815, both of this Parish, by Licence and Bond (dated 16 May 1815).

Although the Hood family remained at Selby when George Hood, Tanner and Brewer of Selby died 18 September 1845, aged 60 and two newspapers stating he was aged 63 years, there is oddly no burial for him at Selby, Brayton, or Barlby.

Are there any shipping records which give a Captain's children and could confirm if Captain John Hood was father to George Hood, please?

Thank you Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 15 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hello All

This shipping is all new to me, but managed to find a ship called 'Brothers' listed under London in 1787, in TNA, Kew, online document BT 162/1 which starts 1786.

I will have a look at the other Ports later (following London which is the first Port listed) and see if I can find the Port for the 'Brothers' ship in 1786.

I presume this is the same ship as the one in my first post, as I noticed there were 3 ships called 'Thomas' in the same Port, which now leaves me with doubt?

But it is not much to go on, this ship the 'Brothers' had 12 men and boys usually employed and weighed 152 tons "As British built".

Thanks for any help, Mark

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 15 10:35 BST (UK) »
According to Lloyd's Register 1780 There were at least 46 British registered ships with the name BROTHERS. None of those listed had HOOD as her master.
The problem with the BROTHERS referred to in your first post, is that in effect she was a coasting vessel and would not get a mention in LLOYD'S LIST the premier source of shipping information from that era.
I would try, unless you have already, contacting Hull History Centre. They hold  Muster Roles (Crew Lists) for most of the the Humber ports 1747-1851
http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/discover/hull_history_centre/our_collections/source_guides/muster_rolls.aspx

I would also contact http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/index.php

You asked Are there any shipping records which give a Captain's children and could confirm if Captain John Hood was father to George Hood, please?

I doubt it but Hull History Centre may know more.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 15 12:18 BST (UK) »
According to Lloyd's Register 1780 There were at least 46 British registered ships with the name BROTHERS. None of those listed had HOOD as her master.
The problem with the BROTHERS referred to in your first post, is that in effect she was a coasting vessel and would not get a mention in LLOYD'S LIST the premier source of shipping information from that era.
I would try, unless you have already, contacting Hull History Centre. They hold  Muster Roles (Crew Lists) for most of the the Humber ports 1747-1851
http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/discover/hull_history_centre/our_collections/source_guides/muster_rolls.aspx

I would also contact http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/index.php

You asked Are there any shipping records which give a Captain's children and could confirm if Captain John Hood was father to George Hood, please?

I doubt it but Hull History Centre may know more.

Hello Seaweed

I had heard of the National Maritime Museum, but really was unsure where to contact in the Yorkshire area, as TNA, suggest surviving records are either held Nationally or at local record offices, so thanks for your suggestions.

I came across, quite an interesting website dealing with the Packet ships and Coasters plying their trade in the Yorkshire area, on the Ouse and elsewhere and have email him.

Later/other adverts refer to Coasters arriving and leaving Hull and Selby and also list the passengers arriving and leaving.

Thanks Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood Ships "Brothers" London-Selby-York & "York Union" at Hull
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
Peter has kindly pointed out that John Hood was on the YORK UNION, Hull to Sunderland, (York newspaper of 18th February 1777).

In another newspaper of 9th November 1782 John Hood, was Master of the MARY of INVERNESS, lying at Newcastle Quay, when the "Brig or Vessel" was to be sold by Auction at the Sign of the Three Kings, Quayside, Newcastle, on Tuesday the 19th November 1782, (if not sold before by private Contract). The ship was 10 years old and American built.

Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 January 16 12:02 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XCQ9-Y8H?mode=g&i=91&owc=collection%2F1309819%2Fwaypoints&wc=9K5S-PTL%3A13618101%2C24866801%2C24866802%3Fcc%3D1309819&cc=1309819

George son of John hood -1 Oct 1786 Gateshead Durham (Newcastle wharf) on the river tyne

George Hood married aged 28 in 1815 Selby = born 1787 (his aged given by himself on his intent to marry 1815 bond allegation)

In another newspaper of 9th November 1782 John Hood, was Master of the MARY of INVERNESS, lying at Newcastle Quay, when the "Brig or Vessel" was to be sold by Auction at the Sign of the Three Kings, Quayside, Newcastle, on Tuesday the 19th November 1782
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 16 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Any Help Please for family and children of:-
Captain, John Hood

An advert dated 21 September 1778 indicates that the Ship called "Brothers", Captained by John Hood, along with other ships in a list traded between Selby and London.

Also stopping at many Yorkshire places (named). A regular return of the said ships from Selby to London. From the Gun-and-Shot Wharfe, Southwark, London to Selby and York, the advert states.

The following seem to be linked to John Hood:-

London and Surrey Bond marriage bond allegation 17 August 1778
John Hood parish of Scarborough, a mariner Widower to Sarah Hammond Widow
ref MS 10091E/91 (Not Seen)

Selby 10 April 1795 Elizabeth Turner Baptised 1st daughter of Charles & Morland.
... "Morland dau of John Hood of Selby, Mariner by Elizth his wife, dau of John Spencer of Scarbro', Mariner. Born 6th Apl"
Transcription - Not checked.

Morland Hood (or Maudland Hood, Spinster aged 20 Married Charles Turner at Selby 27 November 1794) was the daughter of John Hood of Selby, Mariner, with Elizabeth Spencer, whose Father was John Spencer of Scarborough.

There is an August 1803 Burial record at Selby of Jane Hood wife of John Hood, Mariner.
Also a burial of John Hood at Selby 4 April 1819 aged 82 (Occupation not given).

Question
My 4 x Gt Grandfather George Hood, Cooper, Tanner and Brewer was from Selby and married Sarah Russel in Selby 18 July 1815, both of this Parish, by Licence and Bond (dated 16 May 1815).

Although the Hood family remained at Selby when George Hood, Tanner and Brewer of Selby died 18 September 1845, aged 60 and two newspapers stating he was aged 63 years, there is oddly no burial for him at Selby, Brayton, or Barlby.

Are there any shipping records which give a Captain's children and could confirm if Captain John Hood was father to George Hood, please?

Thank you Mark

Hi All

Edited

Now Mark has a copy of the bond allegation 1778 sent to him by email- I have removed the snippets of the bond image I posted on here.

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood Ships "Brothers" London-Selby-York & "York Union" at Hull
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 16 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Peter has kindly pointed out that John Hood was on the YORK UNION, Hull to Sunderland, (York newspaper of 18th February 1777).

In another newspaper of 9th November 1782 John Hood, was Master of the MARY of INVERNESS, lying at Newcastle Quay, when the "Brig or Vessel" was to be sold by Auction at the Sign of the Three Kings, Quayside, Newcastle, on Tuesday the 19th November 1782, (if not sold before by private Contract). The ship was 10 years old and American built.

Mark

This puts John Hood  in reach of Gateshead 1777 -1782

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello

I wondered if anyone can shed any light at all please, on the death report in the Hampshire Chronicle Newspaper, reputedly to be dated 18 January 1773 of John Hood, Esquire.

DEATHS.
John Hood, Esq. many years an East-India Supercargo.

Esquire, suggests he might of been of some rank, or connected to the business of the company in some way?

Thanks Mark