Author Topic: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)  (Read 21281 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
George Hood bapt -25 December 1788 Mother Hope Hood - Broadwinsor, Dorset, England  (Near Bridport West bay harbour)

Hope Hood Bapt - 25 Feb 1765 Father John Hood mother Elizabeth  - Broadwinsor, Dorset, England

Thanks dobfarm

I wonder if the above were related to the Hood (Baron Bridport) family.

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 July 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm and All

Mainly for Information. But can anyone solve:-
i)  especially, who Jane Hood was or
ii) other items marked Blue please?

Three John Hood, Mariners of Scarborough
Thanks for your link and other information, I have sent Scarborough Maritime Museum some information regarding the three John Hood Mariners of Scarborough 1759 and 1763 (Marriage Bonds & Allegations) and the 1778 London (Marriage Intention to Sarah Hammond), which all seem to have differing signatures.

John Hood of Selby, Mariner, links to Child - Maudland Hood only
Morland Turner (nee Maudland Hood) Descent information (attached), when first daughter Elizabeth Turner was baptised at Selby in April 1795.

Looked at the actual Scarborough baptism record of 24 Dec 1775, [born] 15 August and Maudland Hood was the Daughter of John and Eliz: Hood.

John Hood Abode Selby, aged 82, when he was buried at Selby 4th April 1819, was likely baptised Scarborough on 22 March 1738 with Father George Hood.

An unchecked Scarborough bapt of William Hood 1741 gives parentage as George Hood & Maudlin.
An unchecked Scarborough bapt of Richard Hood 1745 gives parentage as George Hood & Magdalene.
[Magdalene, Madelin and Maudlin all close variations to be the same and likely where Maudland's name originated from]

A 1731 York Marriage Bond (now seen) gives me George Hood and Maudlin Spencer of Scarborough.

It is rather interesting that John Hood's wife was apparently a Spencer (Elizabeth Spencer) and his apparent father George Hood of Scarborough married a Spencer (Maudlin Spencer).

Mrs Turner at Selby 1828, but too Vague
The nearest newspaper reference I can find at Selby is a Mrs Turner in 1828 occupying a house in Gowthorpe, Selby, but it is NOT even a property of George Hood's.

John Hood of Selby Mariner - Re/Married a Jane [Somebody? / Somehere?] Before her Selby Burial 15 Aug 1803, aged 65
The other mystery is who was Jane Wife of John Hood of Selby Mariner?

No link George Hood of Selby back to John Hood
If only I could find a document linking my 4 x Gt. Grandfather George Hood of Selby (Marr.1815 & d.1845 both Selby), to John Hood of Selby, or Maudland Hood (or Turner), or even George's burial!

George Hood of Selby
'George Hood of Selby' is being a right pain!

A Cooper, but with no Apprenticeship listing online (tried again today).
No definite baptism.
No burial location, despite checking quite a number of Yorkshire Parish Burial Registers on m/f & fiche.

He is certainly giving us the run-around!

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 July 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
George Hood died 1840 master mariner South Shields linked to Cloughton near Scarborough -need his age at death but must have died overseas as he's not registered death GRO 1840

George's of Sheilds son is John Laidler ? Hood

Above George could be related to John (mariner) and Jane Hood of Selby

Not ruled out George Hood Bapt 1786 Gateshead son of John.
----------------

Jane Dickinson baptism 20 November 1738 father John Dickinson
SCALBY NEAR SCARBOROUGH, YORK, ENGLAND

John Hood X Jane Dickinson

marriage 23 November 1762

Scalby/Cloughton Near Scarborough, York, England

Jane Hood wife of John Hood mariner age 65 burial Selby 1803 (born 1738 )

-------------------------

Up to now most info research is Selby post 1812 but little before, maybe its time to concentrate on Scalby/Scarborough and Shields/Gateshead manorial records and deeds - plus shipping - so on & so forth also any Gibson - Hood connection North East (Newcastle area)

----------

Surname Laidler ? -Yorkshire/Durham ?
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
George Hood died 1840 master mariner South Shields linked to Cloughton near Scarborough -need his age at death but must have died overseas as he's not registered death GRO 1840

Above George could be related to John (mariner) and Jane Hood of Selby

Not ruled out George Hood Bapt 1786 Gateshead son of John.
----------------

Jane Dickinson baptism 20 November 1738 father John Dickinson
SCALBY NEAR SCARBOROUGH, YORK, ENGLAND

John Hood X Jane Dickinson

marriage 23 November 1762

Scalby Near Scarborough, York, England

Jane Hood wife of John Hood mariner age 65 burial Selby 1803 (born 1738 )

Thanks dobfarm

Thanks for reminding me of Jane Dickinson.

I haven't forgotten the Gateshead 1786 George Hood baptism either, it is downloaded and in my folder as a possible.

I somehow think the Dickinson suggestion might have some mileage and very worth me pursuing now.

1) 1831 Deed Registration extract of Gowthorpe, Selby to George Hood.
"and John Dickinson of Selby aforesaid Plumber and Glaizer
the only Son of William Dickinson Late Selby aforesaid
Tailor and Martha his wife both deceased before her marriage
called Martha Clark another of the Sisters and Coheiresses at
Law of the said John Clark of the one part and George
Hood of Selby aforesaid [?W]idower of the other part and
" ...
[ (?)"idower" but could it say Brewer with a very fancy B].

Regarding the 1831 registration "Woodcock & Others to Hood " when George Hood was acquiring 4/5ths of the Gowthorpe property in Selby, from four [of the five] Clark sisters, left to them (or their predecessors) by John Clark, Tanner in his 1764 Will bundle and this was the Gowthorpe Tannery acquired or purchased by George Hood. Hannah Woodcock was also Hannah Clark by the way.

2) Although John Dickinson was a Witness generally to the adjacent 1815 marriages in the Selby Marriage Register? He was also one of the witnesses to George Hood and Sarah Russel 1815 Selby Wedding, with a James Cockin (written as Jane Cockin in the Selby Marriage Bishops Transcript).

3) In Llandudno Register and Herald 18 July 1889
Address Mrs Evans, Shrewsbury ho, Church Walks, Llandudno
Mr, Ms and Miss Barber, Bangor
Mr, Mrs and Master Smith, New Brighton
Mr, Mrs & Master Dickinson, Darlington
Miss Hood, Selby

Miss Hood of Selby might be with the Dickinsons, or she could be listed at the end as a single person below the Dickinson's, by coincidence.

From the last expedition to the Borthwick, I have two Marriage Bond/Intent images (1759 & 1763), plus yours of 1778 London Marriage Intent, for three John Hood, Mariners, all of Scarborough or Parish of Scarborough.

Perhaps looking at Maudland Hood and her descent, I'm concentrating on the wrong John Hood, Mariner?

Thanks, regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William Hood son of George Hood and Sarah (Russel) m 1815 Hood married Scarborough years  later downstream alone is enough -Scarborough/Cloughton-Scalby is the common link and packboat/coasters, sea and inland waterways the other link.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello dobfarm and All

Re George Hood Bapt 1786 Gateshead son of John.

A book I have on fiche, also known as Whitehead's Newcastle Directory 1787, Printed by T. Angus.

Alphabetical List of the People in Trade, &c. in GATESHEAD, COUNTY OF DURHAM.
Hood John, publican, Ship, South-shore

It appears John Hood of Gateshead was a publican of the "Ship" in the 1787 Directory, not a Mariner.

Later known as the Ship Inn South Shore Gateshead.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Mark

I'd say OK! not him- if its was not for south shore and depends how long he was publican of the ship also publicans moved around the country -Could be reason Hood's re appear in Selby after a gap in parish register entries or land tax .(Question - Did the Selby Land tax name Pubs/Inns of property of the Petre family or Spencer's or any property as Inns)

The Ship Inn is on the South shore  (Port) Gateshead John Hood publican could also be a mariner short run packboats - Wife run pub or staff

http://www.gateshead-history.com/gateshead-pubs.html

(Half way down page above link)

R Gibson was a Cooper also chatman

George Hood d 1845  -Straw hat making business, Cooper, Brewer and Tanner come Overseer of poor

George Hood Bapt 1786 Gateshead son of John -still in the running

Regarding George Hood d 1840 South Shield- Being a ships captain no doubt visited Selby
Could he be George Hood the Widower in the 1831 Selby document and remarried by 1840--I mean dates are nearer (not 50 years apart)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 August 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm and All

Thanks dobfarm for the link, which has a photo of the Ship Inn Gateshead, I enjoyed seeing that old photo.

I have gone back to Leeds University Special Collections again, as William Hood was a Quaker and died Selby in 1870.

https://library.leeds.ac.uk/special-collections-explore/Quaker%20Collection?selection=Quaker+Collection&query=Selby+burial&browseQuery=Search&selection=Quaker+Collection&collectionGroup=Quaker+Collection&sortBy=Relevance

Recently, I have heard that the Quaker Burial Notes are usually highly detailed and Quakers were interested with their lineage too. So I shall see if they tell us anything about George Hood his father, that we don't yet know.

Regards Mark

List of Graveyard Closures (incl. Selby Quaker Burial Ground Notice with the exception of Mrs Jane Hood) in "The London Gazette, December 2, 1887."