Author Topic: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)  (Read 21126 times)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #27 on: Monday 01 August 16 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

That would be great! Thinking of dades baptism register with grandparent entries of the baptized did you do any research on William Hood's children if Quaker births)

http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/Quaker-Digests-The-Religious-Society-of-Friends-Nonconformists/29/

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/help/aboutRG6.htm
--------------------------------------------------------
Re :- John Hood and Jane Dickinson marr 1762 Scalby (No death of a Jane Hood in Scalby or Cloughton found)

If they did not baptize their children - Jane Dickinson bapt 1738 matches Jane Hood burial 1803 aged 65  born  1738 wife of John Hood Selby strongly suggests George Hood d 1845 Selby could be one of their un-recorded childrens baptisms probably born 1778 to 1783 )

I can't find any baptisms of siblings for this John and Jane Hood (nee Dickinson) yet they had a Sarah Hood burial 1785 daughter of John and Jane of Cloughton

Also John Hood X Jane Newby marriage:   3 November 1793   could be son John Hood and Jane Dickinson

John Hood birth 1767 to 1771 0n 1841 C Scalby residence Cloughton field

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQG1-CZL

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQG1-CZL
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm and All

Thanks dobfarm for the link, which has a photo of the Ship Inn Gateshead, I enjoyed seeing that old photo.

I have gone back to Leeds University Special Collections again, as William Hood was a Quaker and died Selby in 1870.

https://library.leeds.ac.uk/special-collections-explore/Quaker%20Collection?selection=Quaker+Collection&query=Selby+burial&browseQuery=Search&selection=Quaker+Collection&collectionGroup=Quaker+Collection&sortBy=Relevance

Recently, I have heard that the Quaker Burial Notes are usually highly detailed and Quakers were interested with their lineage too. So I shall see if they tell us anything about George Hood his father, that we don't yet know.

Regards Mark

List of Graveyard Closures (incl. Selby Quaker Burial Ground Notice with the exception of Mrs Jane Hood) in "The London Gazette, December 2, 1887."

Hello dobfarm

The children went to Ackworth School and they are in the Admissions Register (printed book at archive.org) online.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Been informed William Hood's Burial Notes (died 1870 aged 54) span over two pages, will these tell us more about his father George Hood (my 4 X Gt. Grandfather) or Hood family, watch this space.

Regards Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 05:04 BST (UK) »
George's 1845 burial will give his father if he was buried in a Quaker burial ground as a none  Quaker being parent of a practicing Quaker or sons wife a practicing Quaker and grandchildren Quakers.

Just maybe a bit like Mormons !! still record parents ancestry even if they were of another denomination religion

~~~~~~~~-------
An after thought ? George Hood d 1845 died age 60-ish relatively young, say George born 1786 had a young dad aged 21 at his birth year 1786, his father born say 1765 ish -Meaning George's dad and brothers could be on the 1841 census as - Cooper-Wheelwright-Cartwight-Joiner (Something to do with Wood/lumber)-Brewer-Tanner-Straw hatmaker
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello All

It was too good to be true apparently.

Gives William Hood of Selby, date, his age.
Gives the grave maker's name (digger I presume).
2nd page is the Coroner's Release slip for burial.

No parentage, no reference to father George Hood, parentage, or brothers / sisters.

I already have the Inquest record, which mentions briefly his wife being Jane Hood of Wren Lane and his mother Sarah Hood, a widow and how she was next door to William's premises in Wren Lane, usually made him a meal, that William walked across the fields from Byfield and Sarah saw him collapse.

Seems, as though Quaker records only mention the father, when the father was a Quaker.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XCQ9-Y8H?mode=g&i=91&owc=collection%2F1309819%2Fwaypoints&wc=9K5S-PTL%3A13618101%2C24866801%2C24866802%3Fcc%3D1309819&cc=1309819

George son of John hood -1 Oct 1786 Gateshead Durham (Newcastle wharf) on the river tyne

Hello dobfarm and All

I have the above Gateshead [St Mary] Baptism image downloaded some time ago and just trying the Gateshead Burial images from the same link (above) which actually go up to 1840.

Is there another link please, which would take me to the Gateshead 1845 Burial images?

Thanks

Regards Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 18:01 BST (UK) »
That link I posted was for that George's BT baptism 1786.

With the coming of BMD certificates July 1837 familysearch -who mostly worked on baptisms/marriage upto to recent years to put some limited burials on their website but mostly tend stop at 1840/50's

Other websites may have Gatehead post 1840

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 23:42 BST (UK) »
Forget you George D 1845 esti birth year circa 1786/7 and Selby John Hood on this.

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/NewSearch.php

Use search in  link Top horizontal menu
do a blank search of George then John, and all Hood's  leaving first name blank

A George b 1786 with a beginning then nothing of his life or burial

Your George d 1845 est birth 1786/7 with no beginning , had a life and death but no burial

Its more a case we have a right baptism year for your George if he came to Selby independent of Hood's living in Selby or the John Hood who died 1819 (Could be coincidence father of George Hood baptism Gateshead was called John Hood)

What's not there of what one would expect to find seems the case for this George Hood b1786

Use this website search for George Hood b 1786 son of John Gateshead

Try find a life of dates of any event picture of a life of the above two Hood's

For George there is nothing after his baptism 1786 no infant burial, no adult burial, no other event with a approx. date of birth

------------------------------------------------------

Marriage Bonds Durham Diocese 1779 John Hood abt 1756 All Saints, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

1756 would be a perfect year of birth for George Hood d 1845 Dad

--------------------------------------------------------
Then do district search only Gateshead _Newcastle ect

The do date years +/- 20 year (Ie example 1770 then 1790 the 1810 and so on with each district.

----------------

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 11 August 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Saturday, May 21, 1825; Issue 7754.

deaths (Deaths in no particular order as instances as concerned  Ie;- 17th Inst -3rd Instance -10th inst ect)
-------------
15th instance: Hannah daughter age 16 years daughter of James Hood Innkeeper.
-------------
4th inst: George aged 7 years 2nd son of Mr Hood innkeeper of Morpath
~~~~~~~~----------

The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Friday, June 10, 1853; Issue 9314

Inquest

2nd case:-is that of the son of Simon Hood Innkeeper of Blaydon (Gateshead) who was drowned yesterday while bathing in the river Tyne at Willington Quay along with another boy son of Mr Thompson of the Glob Inn in Howdon

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Friday, May 13, 1859; Issue 9620

Marriages

30th ult: Mr Robert Danton to Mrs Margaret Hood, Innkeeper Blaydon (Gateshead)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another port east coast port

The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Friday, July 12, 1861; Issue 9733

In brief

Alnwick petty sessions

William Hood Innkeeper fined for furnishing drink to a party.