Author Topic: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)  (Read 21297 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello

The Hood sailing in the "Industry" to and from Hull and London 1784 to 1787 was certainly John HOOD Born Scarborough. Abode Selby.

1785 Hull
A MUSTER ROLL of the INDUSTRY, John Hood from London.
Masters and Mens Names,
and Posts on Board.          Age.   Births.   Abode.
Jno Hood, Mas'r                  45   Scarbro  Selby
Jno Ellerthorp,  Mate           30   Rawcliff         
Will'm Bullers, Seam'n         22   Thorne   Selby
Rob't Lawson,     Do.           21   Hembro'   Do.
Rich'd Newton,    Do.           28    Selby      Do.
Thos Shackleton, Serv't       18     York       Do.

(In other Musters it records Thos Shackleton)

----------

"Index to Payments"
"About 1783 to About 1803"

Industry ... John Hood, Jefferson, 30 July 1784 to 23 Nov 1787.

Industry ... Rich'd Maddrah, 15 August 1785 Index to Payments.
In the Hull and Beverley Directory of 1791 a Richard Maddrah had a vessel called Industry at Boroughbridge.

In an earlier 1778 newspaper list of vessels (initial post on this thread) a Robert Jefferson was sailing the Industry and John Hood sailing the Brothers.

----------

In the 1788 - 1790 Hull, Muster Rolls, John Hood was sailing a Ship called the "Centurion" to Petersburgh and in the 1789 to 1790 Muster Rolls and 1790 newspapers, voyages to Memell and Memel are stated.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
With John Hood aged 45 in 1785 born Scarborough - abode Selby depending on month he was born ?  could be born 1739/1740
With John Hood burial Selby 1819 aged 82 depending on month he was born ? birth 1737/1738
John Hood bond Allegation to widow Elizabeth Lepington (nee Spencer) age put John Hood born 1738 if my memory serves me correct

Thus if you can link George Hood birth 1785 to 1787 to Maudland Turner nee Hood daughter of above John Hood

You got it.

Does not need to be a perfect fit - but just a family linking connection of Maudland & George ~ bearing in mind the lack of any other Hood's in Selby in your research time frame.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks dobfarm

John Hood's age goes up by one year (to 46 years in 1785) in the 'When Entered' date of 29 Dec'r 1785 Muster Roll, which also refers to a Discharge date of 11th February 1786, giving a Scarborough birth of circa 1739. There are two dates in each Muster Roll for him and John Hood has signed the Muster Rolls for the "Industry" according to these copy volumes.

Hull Trinity House, only released (originally to Hull University) records which take up 44 linear metres of shelving (mainly Muster Rolls & Accounts). All the remaining records of Trinity House are accessed through a paid research service, which goes toward their Charity.

Hull Trinity House definitely had its own School by c.1785, Apprentice Scheme, Welfare arrangement and a Navigation School (Navigation as you probably know was all mathematics & triangulation)

Now I have proof John Hood of Selby, Master Mariner was Pensioned with Hull Trinity House (originally an Ecclesiastical Charity?), I will write and see if John Hood & George Hood appear (as Father & Son, or Uncle & Nephew etc.) in their withheld records.

----------

I have heard that sometimes Mariners had their own Chapel and dealt with Grants & Wills of Mariners.

Many of the separate Trinity House London, records, were unintentionally destroyed (Fire) and then in the WW2 Blitz.

----------

Pension entitlement probably explains why John HOOD of Selby, Mariner, doesn't appear in Selby Poor Records and also his Tenement/House he Occupied (A House divided into two) had an Orchard Garden (in Millgate, Selby, January 1803 Deed Registration).

----------

Jeremiah HORD of Hull and likely elsewhere (Master Mariner, 1780s Muster Rolls & in the Hull Directory of 1791) was a party to the transfer of various properties in the East Riding, including Sculcoates property (1794) owned HORD "& e.al" (& et'al - HORD and Others) to WALTON.

I would have to pay for more hours research, to look up each of the numerous HOODs (listed in the Sellers Indexes 1774 to 1806 and Buyers Indexes starting 1828 to 1847) in the actual Property Registers.

----------

1845 James Goldie HOOD acquired from SHAW e.al (property location "Myton") Index says Volume GD, page 83, No. 81 (Registration details not known).

----------

Wm HOOD has transferred property at Middleton, to RAILTON 1775.
Rich:d HOOD has transferred property at Catwick, to RAILTON 1793/4.
Ric'd HOOD Jun'r & e al to HOOD & e al. at Catwick, 1794.

RAILTON is another surname, an actual family sibling of ours has later married into GRUBB, who descend from RAILTON.

Also one of the Hull, GRUBB Grandchildren of John Hood of Selby, Mariner, was George Wrayton / George Railton GRUBB, Mother TURNER (died 1 year old), carries RAILTON as a middle name.

----------

Maudland HOOD as Magdalin Turner / Maudlin Turner (nee HOOD) had two children baptised at Sculcoates 1797 & 1797 (Sculcoates adjoined Hull).

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Maybe time to concentrate on or recap your Maudland research

George if son or nephew of John Hood b 1738/39 Scarborough would share the same grandfather Hood (if not adopted) - so it the same route back in your ancestry.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

The Hood sailing in the "Industry" to and from Hull and London 1784 to 1787 was certainly John HOOD Born Scarborough. Abode Selby.

1785 Hull
A MUSTER ROLL of the INDUSTRY, John Hood from London.
Masters and Mens Names,
and Posts on Board.          Age.   Births.   Abode.
Jno Hood, Mas'r                  45   Scarbro  Selby
Jno Ellerthorp,  Mate           30   Rawcliff         
Will'm Bullers, Seam'n         22   Thorne   Selby
Rob't Lawson,     Do.           21   Hembro'   Do.
Rich'd Newton,    Do.           28    Selby      Do.
Thos Shackleton, Serv't       18     York       Do.

(In other Musters it records Thos Shackleton)

----------

"Index to Payments"
"About 1783 to About 1803"

Industry ... John Hood, Jefferson, 30 July 1784 to 23 Nov 1787.

Mark

Hello

Thank you.

Somebody has written a lot about John Ellerthorpe, born Rawcliffe 1806, whose Father John Ellerthorpe was a Mariner. Possibly linked to John HOOD's "Mate"

https://sites.google.com/site/johnellerthorpeheroofthehumber/his-early-life

Quotes ...
"He was the son of another John Ellerthorpe, a keel owner who plied the Humber, Trent, Aire, Ouse and Don. John would often accompany his father on the long journeys between South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and along the Humber to Hull.

John spent a lot of time in his infant years with his paternal grandmother who kept the Anchor public house in Rawcliffe.
"

My Grandmother mentioned Snaith.

I've just got to keep nibbling away, like a dog with a bone! To see if the new information goes anywhere.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 26 July 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mark

A picture is forming with dates and positives of this John Hood but must not forget the obvious dates and John's status widower at time of some dates

Possible marriages post 1775

Sarah Hammond 1778 widow London

Elizabeth Gibson 1779 Newcastle

George Hood bapt 1786 Gateshead son of John Hood (this John's only child baptised there  & possible reason John was a sailor on the moved) did Ship Industry call there en-route to Russia

You have info now, that fits John Hood's birth year 1738/1739 Scarborough, residing Selby in time frame 1780 to 1819 (From death age 82 estimate born 1737/8) . - land tax info, now his maritime info, daughter Maudland Turners nee Hood's children's dades baptism info (Spencer Scarborough), John Hood marriage age born 1738 to Liz Spencer (Widow Leppington).

Liz Spencer (Hood died 1775 mother of Maudland Hood)

Sarah Hammond widow Bond Allegation to a John Hood widower of Scarborough 1778 in London

Elizabeth Gibson 1779 Newcastle  ???

Jane Hood burial 1803 wife of John Hood a mariner Selby

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello

Thanks for the comment.

John Hood of Selby, Mariner

The Marriage Bondsman for John Hood and Elizabeth Spencer (Elizabeth Leppington, Widow) was John Jefferson.

John Jefferson of Scarborough County of York, mentioned here ... This John Jefferson might have died about 1765 (Will not seen).

John Jefferson & Sophia of Scarborough
https://archive.org/stream/cu31924018926851#page/n17/mode/2up/search/Jefferson
Page 3 & 4
"The above Named John Jefferson and Sophia his wife being both dead, Christopher Leah of Scarborough Boat Builder (by marrying one of his Daughters) and Elizabeth Jefferson Spinster, his other Daughter, are thereby become Intitled" sic ... Christopher Leah and Elizabeth Jefferson ... 30th January 1768

Robert Abbinson of Scarborough - Mortgage
Wm Stockdale was the Agent in 1746
Thos Stockdale was the Agent in 1768

Relates to the Policy issued in 1734.

----------

Spencer and Rowe - Scarborough

Robert SPENCER had married Catherine ROWE
One Son was called Hutton ROWE SPENCER, who was mentioned in the Will of Catherine SPENCER, Wife of Scarborough, Proved 1782.

I often wonder if John Hood of Selby, Mariner, born Scarborough, who married Elizabeth SPENCER, was linked to the other John HOOD of Scarborough, Mariner, married Sarah Hammond and whose Bondsman was John ROE, by the Marriage alliance of ROWE = SPENCER.

Although spelling difference in ROE & ROWE, but that could be the person writing the 1778 Marriage Bond.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Keep digging Mark as at last your finding good info in the right time period.

:)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello

1820s
SCULCOATES, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, an ancient village, 1½ mile N. of Hull, on the west bank of the river Hull; and contained, not a century ago, only 100 inhabitants, but at present contains 10,449. The southern part of the parish adjoining the town of Hull, is now formed into extensive streets, since the formation of the dock in 1774, and cannot be distinguished by a stranger from the town of Hull, properly so called.

----------

Interesting that Mary RUSSEL the Mother of Sarah RUSSELL (who later married the mystery George HOOD, 1815 Selby) was in Sculcoates in 1805, especially as Sculcoates is North of Hull City Centre and a Parish within the Borough of Hull.

1805 Sculcoates
Thomas GOULDSBROUGH, Widower of the Parish of Selby in the Diocese of York and Mary RUSSEL Widow and of this Parish Married in this Church by Licence 11th February 1805.
Witnesses: Mary BURTON and Joseph BURTON (Thos Gouldsbrough & both wit's signed)

Vessel "York" 1783 Wm Russell, Seaman, aged 24, Born Selby, Abode Selby, & Benj'n Russell, Serv't, aged 22, Born Selby, Abode York, were in a Muster Roll, too.

I've got to see if anything else survives at Hull, to link John Hood, Master Mariner & George Hood, Cooper, or George to Maudland HOOD.

Mark