Author Topic: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)  (Read 21294 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 May 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
Ship; Bedale, J Hood 1780 Hull

http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=WYAS756%2f4%2f1&pos=53

Hello dobfarm

Thanks for that link, I expect this will be printed in the newspaper (so no copy required).

I'm wondering how complete the Aire and Calder Navigation Company records and Canal / River Company records are, at the various Archives including Wakefield, for September 1845 / November 1879?

We only need a River Company Goods Carriage / Conveyance Book or Ledger with the date and convey 1 body / coffin from Selby to ___________
Might get a location near his / her burial place?

Just looked again at George Hood's Death Certificate and he died on 18 September 1845, with the death registered on the 19 September 1845.

Regards Mark

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:05 BST (UK) »
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercargo re the role and status of the Supercargo
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm,

According to the 6 February 1780 Letter from Burton & Taylor, Hull to William Martin, Wakefield, Aire and Calder Navigation correspondence, you found, it does state, Bedale, J. Hood, arrived yesterday from London.

Re Hood in February 1780, also found the following:-
HULL, February 12,
Coasters Arrived. ...
; Bedale, Hood , Galeston, Stamford ;

So J. Hood / Hood had been out again and arrived back at Hull, on the 12th February.

19 March 1782 Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, March 16.
COASTERS ARRIVED.  Amity, Harrow ; Industry, Hood ; George, Woodhouse ; John and Mary, Jones, and Queen, Meggitt, from London. Henry, Walton, fr. Plymouth.

26 December 1786 Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, December 21.
Coasters Sailed. ...
Leeds Packet, Hood ; ... for London.

29 December 1786 Stamford Mercury
HULL, Dec. 22.
Coasters Sailed. ...

Sheffield Register, Yorkshire, ... Universal Advertiser 3 May 1788
Ship News.
HULL.
Sailed. ...
Centurion, Hood ; ... all for Petersburgh, with horses, ale, mahogany, woollen drapery, earthen and ironmongers ware, & c.

Sheffield Register, Yorkshire, ... Universal Advertiser 28 March 1789
SHIP NEWS.
HULL.
Arrived. ... COASTERS. ... Centurion, Hood ; ... all from London.

Thanks Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:55 BST (UK) »
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercargo re the role and status of the Supercargo

Thanks Shaun

The second most important person on the ship and also responsible for the cargo on behalf of the owner, but travelling with the cargo and selling the cargo at Ports and buying goods.

I have also found an early 1800s reference to a Lloyds of London Board Meeting (it would seem), employing a George Hood and others to investigate fraudulent or bogus shipping cargo and insurance claims.

Thanks Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello All

Around the time of the birth of George Hood of Selby, newspapers suggest that John Hood was on the London route from, or via Hull.

John Hood, Mariner of Selby was married to Jane by 1803, as Jane Hood aged 65 and wife of John Hood of Selby, Mariner was buried at Selby in August 1803.

26 December 1786 Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, December 21.
Coasters Sailed. ...

29 December 1786 Stamford Mercury
HULL, Dec. 22.
Coasters Sailed. ...

According to the Selby, Yorkshire, Register of Births for Elizabeth Turner 6th April 1795, regarding her mother Maudland Turner (nee Maudland Hood) it states:-

Morland Daur of John Hood of Selby mariner by Elizabeth his wife Daur of John Spencer of Scarbro' mariner.

John Spencer Mariner, mentioned in a Will, found at Blythburgh
Regarding a John Spencer, Mariner, the following has been found in documents at Blythburgh near Southwold, Suffolk:-

"Robert Elmy, in 1784, bequeaths a sixteenth share in the brig John and Sarah to one daughter and the like portion in the brig Friendship, to another, and his relative John Spencer, mariner, "by reason of my sincere and firm attachment to the Dissenters of Southwold", direct that £50, shall on his wife's death revert to the Trustees of the Meeting".

John Hood of Selby, mariner, was originally married to Elizabeth Spencer, daughter of John Spencer of Scarborough, mariner, I feel this could possibly be an interesting discovery, whether the John Spencers are the same, is still to be discovered?

Kind regards Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 July 16 23:47 BST (UK) »
Signature of John Hood of the Parish of Scarborough aged 25 and a Batchelor Mariner 6th December 1763 Marriage Bond, to Elizabeth Leppington of Scarborough aged 26 and a Widow.

(Rootschat member wishes to compare signatures, with another)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Bond Signature of John Hood of Scarborough aged 37 and a Batchelor Mariner 8th September 1759 Marriage Intention & Bond to Elizabeth Hood of the same place aged 21 and a Spinster.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
George Hood bapt -25 December 1788 Mother Hope Hood - Broadwinsor, Dorset, England  (Near Bridport West bay harbour)

Hope Hood Bapt - 25 Feb 1765 Father John Hood mother Elizabeth  - Broadwinsor, Dorset, England

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth