Author Topic: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)  (Read 21121 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Two Brothers" London-Selby-York (born Scarborough)
« Reply #90 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Afternoon Smartypants and dobfarm ;)

Cumb(e)y Hood born 14 Aug 1717 Boston Massachusetts son of Joseph Hood and Rebecca Cumbey.

In American biographies Cumbey was captain of a vessel and lost at sea.

He married twice in Boston Mass, firstly in 1739 to Lettice Begood and secondly Sarah Nolans daughter of a ‘gent’ from Wales.

Claire

Hello All

Thank you Claire, I think you are the "Smartypants;D  ;D Absolutely brilliant, for spotting a US Hood - Scarborough, Yorkshire connection, in my Scarborough Muster Roll photo (Reply #88)!

So Cumby Hood sailing in and out of Scarborough, Yorkshire, age 30, 29th September 1747, looks to be "Cumb(e)y Hood born 14 Aug 1717 Boston Massachusetts son of Joseph Hood and Rebecca Cumbey."

Apart from the crew member from Cork, Ireland and Aberdeen, the Master and other Crew are local to Scarborough and Yorkshire

Why couldn't my George Hood, have a rare name like that!! I only tried England, thinking Cumby Hood was Boston, Lincolnshire!!

Please keep digging Claire!

----------

Although we had various propositions. Apart from John Hood, we always thought George Hood of Selby, seemed a loner!

Or is this US / Yank HOOD at Scarborough, Yorkshire, just a cruel coincidence, or one that has no proven link back to Yorkshire, England?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:01 BST (UK) »
By the 1680s, King Charles II (restored 1660 by General George Monck, Col. Hood & Other supporters), had allowed the Quakers to leave Britain and William Penn chartered 13 Ships.

Apparently the 13th and last of William Penn's ships, was the Providence, of Scarborough, Yorkshire.

I'm left wondering if my Hood ancestors had some involvement in this Quaker escape from Scarborough and perhaps some of their descendants who wished it, were favored with "Not in Membership" Quaker Burials.

When I was a boy it was said our Hoods were loyal to the Crown.

King Charles II gave the lands to William Penn (Son of a Vice-Admiral) and Pennsilvania / Pennsylvania got its name from William Penn, a Quaker.

-----------

William Penn, was a Dutchman

Penn had to settle a dispute with GRUBB in Pennsylvania
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grubb

Well there's a surname, both sides of the Hood of Selby gap, have both married into the Grubb family, with either a reference to Railton Grubb in a child's name, or descent from Railton Grubb.

You might be interested to know in East Riding Property Registers that some property of Wm Hood at Middleton in 1775 went to surname Railton.

Also some property at Catwick 1793/4 of Richard Hood went to Railton.

There are numerous HOODs in the E.R. Property Indexes, lists acquired. (You can't order a Registration Copy without the reference from the Index).

Scarborough Property must be in the N.R. of Yorkshire Indexes and Registers at Northallerton.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 13 October 18 00:19 BST (UK) »
There was also emigration from Hull and Scarborough to Halifax and Fort Cumberland in Nova Scotia, in 1774.

A little paragraph about this in April 1774 and it is no wonder that some didn't leave a Will.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 20 October 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello

For anyone with a later 18th Century Navy ancestor in one of the two Royal Hospitals, I came across a David Hood, under a list on the Resolution whose Effects were at the Royal Hospital, Haslar.

There are two lists of names (one for each Royal Hospital), with names of Ships, on the front page of The Caledonian Mercury, 27th October 1792, under ...

Office for Sick and Hurt Seamen.
The Office for Sick and Hurt Seamen, Somerset Place, London.

Referring to those named and those authorised to claim their effects, who lately belonged to His Majesty's Ships, to get in touch with either the Office, or the Steward and Agent at the Royal Hospital, Haslar, near Portsmouth or the Royal Hospital, Plymouth.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 21 October 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Afternoon Smartypants and dobfarm ;)

Cumb(e)y Hood born 14 Aug 1717 Boston Massachusetts son of Joseph Hood and Rebecca Cumbey.

In American biographies Cumbey was captain of a vessel and lost at sea.

He married twice in Boston Mass, firstly in 1739 to Lettice Begood and secondly Sarah Nolans daughter of a ‘gent’ from Wales.

Claire

Hello All

Thank you Claire, I think you are the "Smartypants;D  ;D Absolutely brilliant, for spotting a US Hood - Scarborough, Yorkshire connection, in my Scarborough Muster Roll photo (Reply #88)!

So Cumby Hood sailing in and out of Scarborough, Yorkshire, age 30, 29th September 1747, looks to be "Cumb(e)y Hood born 14 Aug 1717 Boston Massachusetts son of Joseph Hood and Rebecca Cumbey."

Apart from the crew member from Cork, Ireland and Aberdeen, the Master and other Crew are local to Scarborough and Yorkshire

Why couldn't my George Hood, have a rare name like that!! I only tried England, thinking Cumby Hood was Boston, Lincolnshire!!

Please keep digging Claire!

----------

Although we had various propositions. Apart from John Hood, we always thought George Hood of Selby, seemed a loner!

Or is this US / Yank HOOD at Scarborough, Yorkshire, just a cruel coincidence, or one that has no proven link back to Yorkshire, England?

Mark

Hello All

I don't think there is a cruel coincidence here, regarding Cumby Hood aged 30 / Cumbey Hood born Boston [U.S.] appearing just the once in those 1747 Scarborough Muster Rolls (of those Rolls checked so far).

The 1851 Census for nearby Cloughton, Newlands, has an Aley Hood, Daur, aged 43, born Stainton Dale, Yorkshire, in the Household of John Hood and Jane Hood, Freehold Farmers of 40 acres.

Earlier, on 15th May 1839 Alley Hood was in attendance at the death of William Hood, aged 66 years (born about 1773), dying at Peak Hill, Stainton Dale, Near Scarborough.

----------

When looking for Cumbey Hood who should I find in the same US book, published 1912 ...

Rebecca Hood marrying Hugh ALLEY of Lynn, Weaver, in December 1681.

There is a question and answers regarding HOOD American genealogy (attached).

Also see next post for pdf attachment.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 21 October 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Attachment for above post.

Still to check those sources listed in the Answers (last post).

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Monday 22 October 18 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

Following on from the emigration theme, I was interested to learn about the ancestors of Bingham Hutchinson Esq., (not because he was related), whose ancestor William Hutchinson emigrated in 1633 from the neighbourhood of Boston, Lincolnshire and became one of the founders of Boston, America, where the family held various offices until the American Revolution in 1776.

When the American Revolution began Hutchinson's Great Grandfather was Governor of Massachusetts and Hutchinson lost his estates due to fidelity to the Crown.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Y11BAAAAYAAJ&pg=PP568&lpg=PP568&dq=%22Bingham+Hutchinson%22+Boston&source=bl&ots=1THI0_xu2G&sig=tGxXx5y5vYmeFLi7FFb9Jr-Ey_s&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwivqqqGyZneAhXKIsAKHY_ZAEMQ6AEwEXoECAgQAQ

----------

Some British went to Nova Scotia (New Scotland) and formed a fighting force to return to America.

Some others became US Prisoners of War, or came back to Britain and some possibly back to the same Counties where their ancestors left, or their ancestors descendants now lived, or elsewhere.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 16 November 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Joseph Dean's 1802 Will copy, did arrive and I am posting these very summary notes only, as the information may be useful to others.

Joseph Dean 1802 Gainsborough, Wharfinger and Cheesemonger
 ... "And all my Real Estate whatsoever and wheresoever within the Kingdom of Great Britain".

Leaving property to his Wife Martha Dean.

Property was upon Trust for Son, John Dean, consisting of Dwellinghouse, Warehouse and Wharf or Landing place and also the abovementioned piece of Land lying or being on the South Warren of Gainsborough.

Trustees were his much esteemed friends Wright Calcraft of Crossby Row Kingstreet Borough Southwark Cotton Merchant John Smith of Gainsburgh aforesaid Wharfinger and John Belwood of Gainsburgh Gentleman their Heirs Executors Administrators and Assigns Upon Trust.

So it seems they were going to run business operations until the Son came of age.

----------

Joseph Dean, inherited from his Father (who died 1787), on the basis Joseph Dean was Heir at Law (No Will appeared to be listed).

By 1820 'Henry Mills & Son' and 'Dean & Beaumont' have a Sream Packet vessel called the Countess of Scarborough sailing York, Selby and Gainsborough.

Mr Beaumont died 5th November 1817, in the 58th year of his age and Notice confirms of the firm Dean and Beaumont.

For some other family connections see Reply # 75
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg6587391#msg6587391

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #98 on: Friday 28 August 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
At Reply # 69 page 8

I have just looked again at the 1788 Centurion Muster Roll of Trinity House, Hull, England (photo seen numerous times) naming John Hood, Master, Selby, Hull, which says adjacent John Hood aid Cap'n Prince (this John Hood is one of several possible fathers for a mystery George Hood of Selby ancestor), so typed "aid " bottom left of my pc search bar and up came a newspaper image and other bits I had already saved and titled about a vessel called Aid and James Prince of Selby (late of Scarborough), England.

John Hood was not getting aid from Capt Prince, nor from Trinity House, Hull in 1788, but his former ship he was a crew member of, was called Aid. The Captain of Aid was James Prince, who incidentally was buried at Selby too.

We will follow this up and see what was recorded about John Hood and his abode etc., on the vessel Aid around part of the Birth time period of my ancestor George Hood.
 ----------
Also noted the Industry vessel of John Dean of Gainsbro' was a SLOOP type vessel at Hull, when Joseph Dean of Gainsborough, England offered the Sloop Industry for sale (with other vessels and property) in 1788, after the death of John Dean (reported in the newspaper 21 st December 1787).
 ----------
Whereas the Industry vessel (in the Muster Rolls at Hull 1781 to 1786) of John Hood, Master, Birth Scarborough, Abode Selby, was a BRIG (this Brig previously linked to John Jefferson). In June 1787 Edward Firminger was Master sailing to Bordeaux from Leeds and Agents were Haworth & Bateman of Hull, reported in the Manchester Mercury 26th June 1787. Another newspaper gives a little more detail about Agents as B. B. Haworth and John Bateman. Industry (of Edward Firminger) had just had an overhaul according to abbreviations in Lloyds Register.

I have added information about Edward Firminger and John Firminger because there seems to be nothing online in the Registers about them in these areas and might be useful for researchers to find other documentation in Archives.

The Hull Payments Book at Hull does say Industry John Hood, Jefferson for most of the 1780s and in 1792 it says "See Foreign Vessels, Jno Firminger". Interesting as a John Firminger of the vessel Industry is also linked to Chester, England (newspapers 1791).

Mark