Author Topic: Russian immigrants  (Read 1441 times)

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Russian immigrants
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 October 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry Brigidmac,mall over the place today! Didn't sleep much last night, I had Weinbergs in my head!! Husband thinks I'm potty! Thanks for your help. I will keep going and let you know if I progress.
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 October 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
No worries I'm the same just lost the reply I was putting on here while reading your 2nd double quoted pm !!

Your page has inspired me to go back + check up that
 missing elder brother could be
Jacob Fellman who keeps cropping up in similar areas to my great grandfather George Jacob Fellman 
he comes up as being a tailor which is their  fathers profession (..sisters are dressmakers) 
 reports consistently says from Austria so i discounted him

the younger brother in USA  who was also born in Courland (Russia/Latvia ) is consistently down as born Manchester on USA records ....but there is enough cross refs to know he is definitely same family .

"Austrian" Jacob is rather scandalous ..I've just read a 1913 news article about a court case which happens to mention that he's living with 82 year old grandad so now I've got to see if any of the older generation have corresponding birth years + if i can find a  1891/1901/1911 census with
Leib Yankel Fellman or equivalent English 1st names born in the 1820's or 30's
even if i do find same gdad jacob+ george may only be cousins
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 October 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Good luck with all that! The more I check my lot, the more I think I may have to accept that I can't prove some things. My gut feeling tells me there is definately a connection, but it's so complicated, I may never prove it.
I was intending to write all this up, but now, I'm searching, which I love, and not getting on with the recording!
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 October 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
Lisat ..I am lucky that our family name with that spelling is unusual

Have just found that my Latvian GGfather definitely wasn't related to the Austrian man having linked up his wife+ in-laws from 1891,1901,1911 census 

+ the criminal court details of 1913 ,confirms age profession + nationality ;
(BTW he got 6 months hard labour for carnal knowledge of a 15 year old)
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 October 15 22:42 BST (UK) »
That's good, you've been working hard!
Carnal knowledge of a 15 year old, ooh. I found one of my lot sited incestuous infidelity in their divorce petition, but it turns out to be an affair with her brother in law. Not the thing in 1914 I guess.
It's real detective work sometimes!