Author Topic: Theodosia E L Harris born c1885 in Cherry Hinton - where is her birth record ?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have seen a baptism record for Theodosia Elizabeth Lavinia Harris for 10th October 1885 in Cherry Hinton. Her parents were J E Harris and Rose H T Harris née Meade.

I've never been able to find a birth record for her, but have just seen a record for a "Female' Harris for RD Chesterton in Q Sept 1885 vol 3b page 455.

Is there any way to tell if this is Theodosia without buying the record? Why would her name not be recorded? Time constraints?

I would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on the subject.
Thanks
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Theodosia E L Harris born c1885 in Cherry Hinton - where is her birth record ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 15 07:18 BST (UK) »
I have seen a baptism record for Theodosia Elizabeth Lavinia Harris for 10th October 1885 in Cherry Hinton. Her parents were J E Harris and Rose H T Harris née Meade.

I've never been able to find a birth record for her, but have just seen a record for a "Female' Harris for RD Chesterton in Q Sept 1885 vol 3b page 455.

Is there any way to tell if this is Theodosia without buying the record?

Why would her name not be recorded? Time constraints?

I don't think there is any way without buying the certificate  :(

If you buy from GRO you could specifiy parents names, not sure if you might get a partial refund if it's incorrect (you would need to check)

Cherry Hinton is in the registration district of Chesterton so that birth entry reference would seem to be correct for Theodosia, perhaps her parents hadn't decided on her full name before they registered her birth  :-\

Did a search here it also just has ‘female’ Harris https://www.camdex.org.uk/index.cfm
there's an address but no phone number. I wonder if you can find a telephone number and gave them a ring with the reference number whether they would check for you before you purchase the birth certificate (costs £10).

EDITED
Removed link

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Theodosia E L Harris born c1885 in Cherry Hinton - where is her birth record ?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Ladyhawk.
  Theodosia is a little distant from my branch of the tree, but it always frustrated me that I couldn't find a birth record for her. Having you reach the same conclusion that I did reassures me that we have the correct record for Theodosia, so I probably won't purchase it myself. If the Harris family wants to purchase the record, they have the details now.

I really appreciate your thorough investigation.
Richard   ;D
RPJ

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
If you wanted to get the cert, you would need to order with the name as 'female' but then without the specifics of the GRO reference - vol & page. In that way you would then get the opportunity to add in the names of the parents and a date of birth.

Doing this type of search is speculative in that if the name of either parent in the birth entry doesn't match, then you won't get the cert .

The GRO do not offer partial refunds anymore.

You only get the full refund if they can't supply because the info doesn't match.

The local register office may be willing to help if they have the time. Many do not. But they can be more flexible in their approach if you actually get to speak with someone.

I think their call centre number is here, it appears on other parts of the registration website.

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/info/20105/deaths/18/registering_a_death

or here

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/regoff.html#339C

But you might have more luck sending an email.

Be prepared though for a basic yes or no answer to your question. The reg office is not obliged to give any further details unless you pay.

Please DO NOT contact the BMD-certificates link that Ladyhawk posted. They are just unofficial middlemen and will charge you £25 for a cert.

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 October 15 06:02 BST (UK) »

The GRO do not offer partial refunds anymore.

Please DO NOT contact the BMD-certificates link that Ladyhawk posted.
They are just unofficial middlemen and will charge you £25 for a cert.

Thank you dawnsh especially about the BMD-certificate link  :o
I have amended my post and removed that link :)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 October 15 06:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Ladies.
I think I have all the information I want, so I can call this "completed."
Richard
RPJ

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
COMPLETED- Theodosia E L Harris born c1885 in Cherry Hinton - birth record ?
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 16 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I did buy the certificate we discussed and the record is for the daughter of James E Harris and Rose H Harris. This "Female" is indeed Theodosia Elizabeth Lavinia Harris born on 15th August 1885 in the Registration District of Chesterton, sub district Fulbourn in Cambridgeshire.
Thanks for your help everybody. I really can now regard this as COMPLETED.
Richard PJ
RPJ