Author Topic: tablets  (Read 10193 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: tablets
« Reply #45 on: Friday 09 October 15 07:56 BST (UK) »
I have had a Nexus 7, a Nexus 7 (2013),  a Hudl 2 and now a Nexus 9. Without doubt I would get the Hudl2 first while you are getting used to it - less than £100. And save for a Nexus 9 - £199.

A big question is where are you getting your WiFi from?

Hi Sue

My first Nexus 7 took a SIM card and I paid £10 per month to Giff Gaff for a data only SIM. It adds £40 to the cost of a tablet and is only available on a few designs. I now use a MiFi from Three, which means you take Wifi with you. Up to ten devices can be used at the same time. See this link - http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/mifi_mobile_broadband/?gclid=CJfHp7jmtMgCFRGNGwodXvoO2A - and make a choice based upon monthly usage. You want one without a USB.

If you do not have a desktop you do not need anything else - INCLUDING your £17 a month landline. I have a wireless adaptor on my desktop and use the MiFi as backup to BT Broadband. For most users 5Gb a month is probably enough.

Ken

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 09 October 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
That's exactly what I suggested in an earlier post, glad to hear it works for you.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 09 October 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Ken that's very helpful I appreciate your input. Kind regards, Sue

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
My neighbour has told me about a Mikona tablet she's buying for xmas present. Unfortunately her knowledge is on a par with mine. Apparently these have built in wifi , does anyone have any experience or knowledge of them please ?

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 03 December 15 18:24 GMT (UK) »
An update on my unsatisfactory attempts with tablets. I bought two Hudls and both were faulty and were returned . I also bought an o2 wifi hotspot which ate up my £10 within hours of trying to check out the tablets. I then bought a different tablet and another £10 top up , within the half hour it took to get home the credit was gone ! I returned to 02 , to be told the apps had used up the credit. Before I had even opened the tablet ? Surely this can't be right ? 3 tablets,£20 no internet !

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 03 December 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »
You are certainly having a bad time.

Do you know anyone with wifi in their house? If so, I would ask if you could go there and update all your apps, then switch off the automatic updates. Also keep the dongle Mifi switched off unless you are actually using the Internet.

I used to use a Vodafone Mifi with my laptop and iPad when I was away from home and 10 GB was plenty, in fact I often had a job to use it up within the 30 days.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 03 December 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou groom . I had the apps problem sorted at O2 finally , however I haven't bothered to top up again yet .  Think I've lost the enthusiasm !