Author Topic: Collins in Cork  (Read 15954 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Collins in Cork
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 10 October 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hope your nephew is okay.

Tara

Offline lyndo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 10 October 15 23:54 BST (UK) »

Broken bones but nothing more serious and some bruising as well.
Not even concussion and the person who hit him not seriously injured either.

They were both lucky. Their cars broke on impact which dissipates the energy of the crash.

You can buy a new car with your insurance money but broken bodies are not replaceable.

We will get the euro 4 cert for John and Ellen.

I will come back when we find out their parents. Wish it was like Scotland where you buy it instantly and online on Scotland's People. In 10 minutes you know who they were and can just keep going.

lyndo
MacDermott, Feeley, Ireland. 1850's Govan Lanarkshire
Scotland in the shipyards.

Offline MegMS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hello, Lyndo and all,
I know this is years later.  I found your posts here in searching for McCarthys from Cork to Wales.  I am intrigued by your Ellen McCarthy and wonder of your Collinses went to Wales because of a connection to McCarthys there.

All I know is that my ggf Denis McCarthy was born in 1859 in Glamorgan, Wales and came to USA, Pittsburgh, PA, about 1868/70.  Here he married Mary Donlan and they had James Anthony, Francis Carroll (my gf) and Eileen.  Denis's parents MAY have been Daniel and Norah Mahoney but the tree showing this has no documentation for it.

You say in subsequent posts that you have started a tree on ancestry, but searching Ellen McCarthy Collins in Trees does not bring it up. 

It's a longshot, I know, but if you have any insight, I'd so appreciate it!  Just confirmed this year that Francis is my gf.  He died in 1949 and had his family far away so I have no connection and no info.

Thanks very much!
Meg
Main focus: Callahan, Doherty, Gibbons, all probably Donegal
Also McHugh, O'Leary, Perry, Kenney, Roche, Schubert, McCarthy, Carroll

Offline Fenian1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Monday 23 December 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindo.  I am in Abertawe, Cymru (Swansea, Wales).  My surname is Collins and my family came here to Abertawe circa1848, from Bandon, West Cork.  Don't know if there is any connection?

Diolch Keith
COLLINS, HURLEY, O`DONAVON, MADDEN,
DE COURCY, BARRY, DEMPSEY, MURPHY, SULLIVAN, CORCORAN, HAYES (West Cork)
 MURPHY, PARLE (Wexford)
REES, JENKINS (Swansea)

Offline Fenian1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Monday 23 December 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Well  - Thanks to you Tara,
 I finally got a lead.
The nephew Dennis Collins in jail with Uncle John looking out for him.

Denis Morris Collins
Sep qtr 1888 Merthyr Tydfil RD
Volume: 11a p 553

yippee.
Dennis Collins would interest me.   My gg grandfather was  a Dennis Collins, from Bandon, West Cork.  Relatively close to Dunmanway.  Merthyr is also about 30 miles from Abertawe (Swansea)

Keith
COLLINS, HURLEY, O`DONAVON, MADDEN,
DE COURCY, BARRY, DEMPSEY, MURPHY, SULLIVAN, CORCORAN, HAYES (West Cork)
 MURPHY, PARLE (Wexford)
REES, JENKINS (Swansea)

Offline McGuire77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Friday 08 January 21 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Apologies for finding this thread 5 years after it started.

The Denis Morris Collins born in Merthyhr Tydfil 1888 is my Great Grandfather.

He lived in Merthyr and went to Dunmanway to stay with family before marrying Susan Dillon in Glasgow 1909

His father was Daniel Collins and mother Elizabeth Whelan (or Whalan). Elizabeth was born in Wales and Daniel, we believe in Dunmanway.

Would love to know where the track of the record in this thread lead to as it is certainly crossing across where I am looking... particularly the relationship between Dennis Morris and John as I have been working on assumption (with family and records) that the prison record in 1905 for Dennis Morris is my G Grandfather and therefore exploring that John Collins the Shoemaker in West Green was his Uncle.
PATERNAL
MCGUIRE/MAGUIRE - HARRISON
MCKEOWN (Derry) - DONNELLY (Moneymore)
COLLINS (Dunmanway/Merthyr Tydfil) - WHELAN (Waterford/Wales/Liverpool)
DILLON - MCSORLEY

MATERNAL
MACDONALD - O'DONNELL
CRAIG, MULLEN, CROW, CUMMING, MCBREARTY, CROW
SHERRY

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Friday 24 June 22 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm looking for information on my x3 great-grandmother Ellen Collins, as I'm drawing a bit of a dead  end with her maiden name and can't seem to find any information on Ancestry. She was born in 1826 in Dunmanway and married Michael Collins (b. 1821, Dunmanway) but that's all I know about her.

Any information on her family and maiden name would be greatly appreciated.
Ireland: Collins, Shinnick, Mahony, Fitzpatrick, Deady, Leary, Murphy, Carroll, Brien, McCarthy

England (Romany): Ellis, Young, Smith, Knight, Lanskford, Davey, Boswell, Throughgood, Cocket, Tolley, Lovell, Harris, Brown

Scotland: McGhie, Laurie, Douglass, Alston, Calderhead, Weir, Mcashlan

France: Dulieu, Rouviere, Correge, Chauderon, Tixier, Gilbert, Perrot, Galipeau, Besnard

Germany & Holland: Van Slyk, Van Vranken, Hansz, Kernin, Ohrendorff, Peltzer, Heyn, Getman

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm looking for information on my x3 great-grandmother Ellen Collins, as I'm drawing a bit of a dead  end with her maiden name and can't seem to find any information on Ancestry. She was born in 1826 in Dunmanway and married Michael Collins (b. 1821, Dunmanway) but that's all I know about her.

Any information on her family and maiden name would be greatly appreciated.

Thought I would update and say that I found out she was Ellen McCarthy (b. 1826). Still looking for information on her parents names though.
Ireland: Collins, Shinnick, Mahony, Fitzpatrick, Deady, Leary, Murphy, Carroll, Brien, McCarthy

England (Romany): Ellis, Young, Smith, Knight, Lanskford, Davey, Boswell, Throughgood, Cocket, Tolley, Lovell, Harris, Brown

Scotland: McGhie, Laurie, Douglass, Alston, Calderhead, Weir, Mcashlan

France: Dulieu, Rouviere, Correge, Chauderon, Tixier, Gilbert, Perrot, Galipeau, Besnard

Germany & Holland: Van Slyk, Van Vranken, Hansz, Kernin, Ohrendorff, Peltzer, Heyn, Getman