Author Topic: Cochran Family from Templepatrick  (Read 6628 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cochran Family from Templepatrick
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopan,

Thank you for the link to Bill family information. I am interested in the Sally Bills you have listed as daughters of Daniel and of James.

Ezekiel D (Davis/David) Graham baptised Jan 1819 son of James Graham of Ballycushan,married Sarah BILL on 29 JUL 1841.

I do not know who Sarah's father was, but I expect she was one of the Sally's in your Bill family history.

I have not found any trace of Ezekiel and Sarah in Ireland so think they may have emigrated. I  also have no further trace of Ezekiel's brother James Graham born c1827 judging by his position in the list of James Graham's family in 1831. James junior may not have survived childhood or may also have emigrated. (I saw a James Graham was a witness at a Bill marriage but I need to read through the Bill history again and take notes to see which marriage that was)

The reason I mention James as well as Ezekiel is the closest I have come to possibly locating Ezekiel is the following:

An Ezekiel D Graham and a James Graham are on an 1871 and 1874-1877 property tax list for Dade, Georgia. Ezekiel D Graham of Georgia served as a sergeant in the Confederate army in the civil war, 1861-65

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopan,

I have taken another look at the Bill family on the site you posted and the marriage where James Graham was witness was the 1842 marriage of Alexander Bill, b c1814.

Alexanders's parent's Daniel Bill and Susannah Rea were probably married within a  few years of my 3x gt grandparents marriage, James Graham and Mary Wiley. Their oldest son was Henry Graham born c1816. Ezekiel D Graham born c1819 was their second son baptised at Templepatrick Presbyterian Church.

My 2x gt grandfather John Graham bapt either 31 Jul 1831 or 1833 (I have a certificate with the 1831 date which matches the 1831 census) was a blacksmith as were his 6 sons. Including his youngest son Ezekiel D Wiley Graham whose smithy was the Massereene "Good Luck"  Smithy in Antrim.

I like the fact that Alexander Bill's family were also blacksmiths and I think the "Sally" in the 1831 list of Daniel's family could very well be the Sarah Bill who married Ezekiel Graham in 1841. If you take a very very rough stab at her date of birth by adding 2 years per child from Alexander 1814, then I get a birth at about 1824.

The other Sally Bill, who was baptised 1805, daughter of James Bill is a less likely option, though not impossible.

Cheers

Linda

Offline warnock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 June 17 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrispaton
Thank you for posting your information. I love how over time pieces of a jig saw ft together. The James Lockhart who was on  of the Jury was my relation. From a small town-land all their lives must have been in twinged . Enjoyed reading your research into the Bell Family .

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 December 17 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I believe Christopher Cochrane and indeed James Locket are one of my direct descendants. The search for Christopher has been just as elusive for myself.From my own research most of the Lockharts are tied to the townland of Craigarogan. There was a number of different Lockharts who moved to Belfast and there are Lockharts buried in Mallusk Graveyard. Isabella and James I believe - I have a photo if anyone would wish to have it.

I have James Lockhart and Margaret Cochrane marrying in 1853 at the Antrim Registrar Office. They then had a son James who I descend from. James married a Rebecca McKinley at the Templepatrick Parish Church. The residence at their marriage shows them staying the in the Vicarage. I get the impression that some of the Lockharts were Presbyterians though which makes me kinda get the impression that the Cochranes may also have been attendees at Templepatrick Presbyterian or maybe Antrim 1st.

I hope this is helpful. I am intending to go to PRONI to check up on all this within the not too distant future so if any Cochranes come up I will gladly post - I haven't found any on my travels. Have been to Templepatrick Parish and there is one Lockhart grave there (no names) and no Cochranes that I could see.
Ireland:
Antrim - Chism, Bell, McKinley, Armstrong, Johnson, Allen
Ballymena - Ross, Stewart, Black, Wilson, McCarville
Belfast - Black, Gunion, Dornan, Gowdy, Rice, Muldoon, Montgomery
Carnmoney - Clawson
Dungannon - Creamer
Derrylin - Rice, Grieves, Breen, McManus, Lang
Lisnaskea - Downey
Magherafelt - Creamer, Blaney
Monaghan - Downey, Young
Newtownards - Blackwood, Morris
Newtownstewart - Hamilton, Irwin
Templepatrick - Lockhart, Cochran

Wales:
Llantrisant - John, Griffith, David

Offline warnock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 December 17 17:36 GMT (UK) »
This is really interesting as we do indeed have some common ancestors. Have you seen the trees on Ancestry for Lockhart. ?
Its a case of Brother and Sister marrying Brother and Sister.
James Lockhart 1865-1917 married as you say Rebecca McKinley and had 12 children.
Sister to James is Christina Lockhart 1868-1946
She marries William Mckinley 1856-1944 who is the brother of Rebecca.
My line is from William and Christina.
Happy to share information. You may prefer to send a message using the Person message system.

All the best.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 December 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I have James Lockhart and Margaret Cochrane marrying in 1853 at the Antrim Registrar Office. They then had a son James who I descend from. James married a Rebecca McKinley at the Templepatrick Parish Church. The residence at their marriage shows them staying the in the Vicarage. I get the impression that some of the Lockharts were Presbyterians though which makes me kinda get the impression that the Cochranes may also have been attendees at Templepatrick Presbyterian or maybe Antrim 1st.

The marriage registration merely says her residence was Templepatrick Vicarage with no indication of the exact location in Templepatrick where he was living :-\
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1887/10799/5938133.pdf

Added- since Rebecca was a servant perhaps the Vicarage is where she worked and lived.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:50 GMT (UK) »
James Lockharts death is noted in the PRONI will calendars:

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx

I don't know if that link will copy but the written copy states that he wishes for his property to be auctioned and sold.
Ireland:
Carnmoney - Clawson
Dungannon - Creamer
Lisnaskea - Downey
Monaghan - Downey, Young

Wales:

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 December 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the double post but (potentially) good news.

I have maybe found Christopher within the Templepatrick Presbyterian church records.

I found a family consisting of:
Christopher Cochrine/Cochine/Cochrane (it's hard to read)
Agnes Bartly (is the maiden name)
Mary Cochrane
Eliza Cochrane
Charles Cochrane
Margaret Cochrane.

Elsewhere within the records I also saw a Charles, Christian and what looked like a May and a Agnes.

The records were a family record dated 1831. I probably won't be back in PRONI and was in a bit of a rush so wasn't able to check the full records, nor can I verify if it is them but some time next year I will go through them

EDIT: And as a bonus. I noticed a lot of Bills named within the Presbyterian church as well.
Ireland:
Carnmoney - Clawson
Dungannon - Creamer
Lisnaskea - Downey
Monaghan - Downey, Young

Wales:

Offline warnock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 December 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Oh this is fantastic news.Thank you so much for sharing the information.