Author Topic: Cochran Family from Templepatrick  (Read 6585 times)

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cochran Family from Templepatrick
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 December 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
No problem.

I have done a bit of searching and I can confirm that this is likely the correct family. The following records are available on GRONI but:

Agnes Cochran, widower of a labourer dies 12th January 1871 aged 75 (birth at circa 1796) - Jane Connelly present at death, in Templepatrick.

Also marriage of Eliza Cochran to James Hagen on 16th October 1852 at the Antrim Registrars Office. James Hagen is shown as age 30 and a laborer. James' father was Patrick Hagen, profession listed as pensioner. Residence at marriage is Toberagnee, Parish of Ballymartin (https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/belfast-lower/ballymartin/toberagnee/).

Eliza Cochran's age is listed as full age, no profession. Residence at Ballycushan, Parish of Templepatrick (https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/belfast-upper/templepatrick/ballycushan/). Her father is listed as Christopher Cochran, laborer.

Witnesses are William Smyth and Bernard ? - can't read it all.

This should give a bit more of a confirmation as to the information being correct.
Ireland:
Antrim - Chism, Bell, McKinley, Armstrong, Johnson, Allen
Ballymena - Ross, Stewart, Black, Wilson, McCarville
Belfast - Black, Gunion, Dornan, Gowdy, Rice, Muldoon, Montgomery
Carnmoney - Clawson
Dungannon - Creamer
Derrylin - Rice, Grieves, Breen, McManus, Lang
Lisnaskea - Downey
Magherafelt - Creamer, Blaney
Monaghan - Downey, Young
Newtownards - Blackwood, Morris
Newtownstewart - Hamilton, Irwin
Templepatrick - Lockhart, Cochran

Wales:
Llantrisant - John, Griffith, David

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 December 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Really useful to have this . Thank You . Shame there dont appear to be any trees for them on line. Good to be able to add them to mine.
Have looked for awhile for other records foe Eliza and her husband James Hagen without success in the area and wonder if they could have gone abroad .

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 December 17 14:38 GMT (UK) »
No problem.

The church records have a family directory as well for some time in the mid 1850s so I will check that.

I will probably be back sooner than i thought. Likely some time during Christmas week so I will have a look through the records in detail then.
Ireland:
Carnmoney - Clawson
Dungannon - Creamer
Lisnaskea - Downey
Monaghan - Downey, Young

Wales:

Offline warnock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 December 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
It's great you are close enough to visit. Thanks again.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 December 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I spotted a gravestone to Margaret Lockhart (died 16th November 1928 aged 78) in Templepatrick Parish Churchyard. The grave is also used by Andrew Logan (d 1972) and his wife Anna (d 1986) who are probably relatives.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks for that. Not sure were they fit in at present --but they will in time.

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I have been back to the PRONI and have went through all of the reel for Templepatrick Presbyterian Church. I don't think I have missed anything, but it is possible but unfortunately it hasn't really shed much light onto the Cochran family going back. On the first search I didn't go through the whole record as I didn't know if the Cochran's were going to be there, I have found the following information:

To clarify last time: There is a list of families in the congregation dated 1831.

I found a family consisting of:
Christopher Cochrine/Cochine/Cochrane (it's hard to read)
Agnes Bartly (is the maiden name) widower of a labourer dies 12th January 1871 aged 75 (birth at circa 1796) - Jane Connelly present at death, in Templepatrick.
Mary Cochrane
Eliza Cochrane marries James Hagen on 16th October 1852 at the Antrim Registrars Office. James Hagen is shown as age 30 and a laborer. James' father was Patrick Hagen, profession listed as pensioner. Residence at marriage is Toberagnee, Parish of Ballymartin (https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/belfast-lower/ballymartin/toberagnee/).
Charles Cochrane
Margaret Cochrane marries James Lockhart at the Antrim Registrar Office on 14th November 1853.

The townland which they are stated to be in is Templepatrick (so the town).

I found the marriage of Mary Cochrane who married Thomas Granger on 31st March 1843, residence is Clachanduff. Christopher and Agnes were the parents.

Their children:
William Granger was born to Thomas and Mary in May/1843, baptised 7/6/1843 at Clachanduff
Christopher Granger was born 22/11/1844, baptised 12/1/1845 at Craigarogan.
David was born 7/6/1849, baptised 9/9/1849 at Craigarogan.

The reel then has a list of communicants:
married person Christian Cochran 1834 (i have no idea who this is.)
Young person Mary Cochran 1840
Thomas Granger 1843
Margaret Cochran 1848

There is then a list of the congregation in 1857:
None of the Cochran family is present except Mary with Thomas who are resident in Cotton Mount.

My assumption would be that they changed church. Given the fact that Eliza and Margaret didn't even marry at the church it would be assumed that they had left it. What is interesting is Agnes who wouldn't die until 1871, she no longer attends (unless she was listed in with another family). No mention of Christopher either. Perhaps he was dead by then?

I can't remember the context for this but a Mary Cochran appears again, I don't believe there was a year but she is listed in Toberagnew with Thomas Price then a list of names, assumed children of Thomas, Elizabeth, Margaret, Janet, Mary. Mary Cochran is then named as such at the end and is referred to as a niece.

The only other thing about this is that the Presbyterian Church in Templepatrick split at some point into Non-subscribing Presbyterians and some other form of Presbyterian. So maybe they are in there. I don't know and I can't remember the year of the split. It may be worth checking out when I next go there.

Ireland:
Carnmoney - Clawson
Dungannon - Creamer
Lisnaskea - Downey
Monaghan - Downey, Young

Wales:

Offline warnock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 30 December 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
You have been busy. Many thanks for this and on the back of it, I  have just discovered
 a tree on Ancestry for Christopher Granger b 22/11/1844 that you mention . He marries Eliza Stewart and they have 2 sons. Christopher b 1876 and a brother Thomas b1879.

Perhaps of more interest is that Mary and Thomas Granger (according to the tree on line) had another son--James b 1847 who married Margaret J Gormal 1849-1907. They go on to have 5 Children.
But as the owner of the tree starts with Mary Cochrane and Thomas Granger it suggests they dont alas have any information going further back.
All the best.

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 June 19 18:03 BST (UK) »
I didn't think it had been that long since my last post.

Anyway. I had been to the Presbyterian Historical Society of Ireland in Belfast and they advised me to check out the Templepatrick Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church records for any Cochrans further back. This is because the church split in 1830/1831 to create 1. Templepatrick Presbyterian and 2. the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian. The earliest records for the church pre-split are within the Non-Subscribing records and go back to 1796.

As advised previously, the Cochrans appear in Templepatrick Presbyterian in the 1831 census of the congregation and are living in Templepatrick town. So this would indicate that following the split they changed churches to join the new congregation (as the oldest records are in the Non-Subscribing).

There is bad news and some good news.

The bad news is that Christopher Cochran, Agnes Bartley or any of the children: Charles, Margaret etc. I could not find any records for them. I checked practically every page from the beginning of the microfilm until the early 1830s (given that they appear in the census of the congregation of the other church, there's no point checking beyond this). I saw absolutely zero Bartleys in this church. Cochran-wise there was only really one Cochran family in the records.

I checked as follows:
Baptisms
1796 - 1802 - Nothing - this doesn't really matter as there are no details of parents, just a list of the childs name. Only after 1802 do fathers start to get mentioned
24th Feb 1803 Andrew son to John Cochran, place is listed but couldn't read it.
1804 - 1807 - nothing
27th Jan 1808 - Susanna to John Cochran - appears to be Ballyutogue
1809 - 1810 - nothing
3rd Jan 1811 - Thomas son to John Cochran, Ballyutogue
10th August 1812 - Amelia to John Cochran
1813 - 1814 - nothing
9th April 1815 - Margaret to John Cochran - Ballyutogue
1816 - nothing
22nd Feb 1817 - Andrew to John Cochran
1818 - 1820 - nothing
18th Dec 1821 - Isabella to John Cochran
1822 - 1833 - nothing.

Marriages
1798 - 1799 - nothing
8th Dec 1800 - John Cochran to Mary Nesbitt
1801 - 1805 and 1807 - 1823 nothing
Now the good news? Interestingly up until this point there are no witnesses to marriages. In a June 1824 marriage there is a witness named 'Christy Cochran' - it isn't clear if it's referring to him/her or the record but it says 'of Donegore' - the Church of Ireland has ties between Templepatrick/Donegore so maybe could try there.
1825 - nothing
Jan 12th 1826 - Andrew Cochran to Agnes Scott of Mallusk
1827 - 1828 - nothing
1829 - David Cochran to Susan Price, Toberagnew
1830 - 1833 - nothing

Also checked new communicants - twice a year between June 1811 and Oct 1824 - no Cochrans.

My conclusion from this is as follows:
I did my best to read every single line of every page, some was hard to read but this is all I could find. It's possible I could have missed something but I am fairly confident that I haven't given that no marriage for Christopher and Agnes and no baptism of Christopher or any of the children. It's weird that they were living in Templepatrick in 1831, but yet not previously attending a church there. It is possible that they could have moved there or previously went to Donegore as its pretty close to the church. Future checks of Donegore 1st will confirm this.

EDIT: or Lyle hill Presbyterian.

I refer to the second post of this thread:

"I did find an Emilia COCHRAN marrying a Mathew O'HARA, in December 1830.
Both hailed from "Ballyutogue" (sic)
[aka, Ballyutoag - another Templepatrick townland - large, lying to the South.]

The ceremony was performed by the Rev. John M'MILLAN.
[As far as I could determine he was the long-term incumbent of the Presbyterian Church at Lylehill.]"

The Emilia, is very likely the Amelia I found the baptism for.
Ireland:
Carnmoney - Clawson
Dungannon - Creamer
Lisnaskea - Downey
Monaghan - Downey, Young