Author Topic: Look up please helen Marshall  (Read 6614 times)

Offline Scoty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen Marshall born armaugh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the right direction or look up a birth registration please . Helen Marshall was born in Armaugh in 1817 to James and betsey Marshall . She moved to Scotland at some point I cannot find helen in Ireland but on all the census she puts armaugh down as her place of birth .
Thanks Scoty

2015 & 2017 threads merged.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Marshall born armaugh
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 August 17 07:35 BST (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the right direction or look up a birth registration please . Helen Marshall was born in Armaugh in 1817 to James and betsey Marshall . She moved to Scotland at some point I cannot find helen in Ireland but on all the census she puts armaugh down as her place of birth .
Thanks Scoty

In Ireland her name is more likely to be Ellen rather than Helen but civil registration of births didn't start until 1864. To find church records you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not exact townland). Unfortunately, not all church records from early 1800s survive. Does her birthplace in census records say 'Armaugh' or Armagh?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Scoty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 August 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi , it says armaugh .

I've no idea what reglion she was and I don't know the parish the census which states her birth place as armaugh was on the 1861 Scottish census . She must have moved to Scotland around 1838 she got married in old machar and settled in Dundee after that . Sadly it  Looks like I won't be able to find anything more about her then . Thanks for the info though I'm  on the Scotland's people site but I think the censuses started at 1841 there I'll double check I couldn't see her there last time I looked . S

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 August 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Does the 1861 census actually say 'Armaugh' rather than Armagh? are you reading the original or a transcript?

Have you looked to see if there are any other Marshall in the area in case relatives also came to Scotland?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Scoty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 August 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi , I looked again and I was wrong it's Armagh

Helen married a Francis whitecross in old Macmar in 1838 they moved to Dundee and were on the 1841 in hunter street . I can't find helen prior to that her parents were James and betsey I'm not sure how I found that out to be honest I've no record

Thanks
S

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 August 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Scoty
I have just posted the same request I'm also looking for information on Helen Marshall she's a mystery!  Like you I found that she married Francis in old mackar but on all the census returns we have both amaugh . I've looked every where for some I formation but there's nothing.  Some one said try the church records maybe a trip to Ireland might help! Have you found out anymore since the last post

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 August 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
I can't even find her father James and like you I can't see how I know her father was James! I've also tried to ring information on Betsey Hamilton her mother , he e you got anything on her . I would love to know more about the family I was very excited having found an Irish ancestor but then it stops with Helen!
Best wishes
G

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 August 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I can only see transcripts of Scottish censuses but I notice these records which may/not be of any help.

1841 Old Machar

Elizabeth Marshall 60 yrs.
Mary Marshall 30 yrs
Margt Marshall 35 yrs

All born Ireland
Could Elizabeth be your Betsey?

1851 Old Machar

Mary Marshall 38 yrs b ‘Neury, Ardugh’ Ireland
Joseph Sharp 6 yrs son b Old Machar

I would think birthplace could be Newry, Armagh perhaps.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please helen Marshall
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 August 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
New thread on Angus Scotland board -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799432.0

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records