Author Topic: Trying to trace my grandmother's family from Colby- 'McFee'  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace my grandmother's family from Colby- 'McFee'
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 October 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
You may have this already, link to IOM parish images on Family Search, more useful for records earlier than the 1900s though:-

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1784428

Blue

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
the major problem is that you need a birth cert to determine mother (? was she illegitimate to a young daughter - the McFees ran the Colby Mill for a couple of generations - they were also noted Methodists an illegitimacy would not go down too well in that period (also the bapts pre civil reg in 1877 may well in Methodist chapel rather than parish church) - you can trace the Colby family back to a a James McFee (McFie, MacFee) who was I think the son of Capt Wm McFee one of the early IoMSPCo captains (look him up on my web site) by his first wife  Cath Gracy (she died in 1849 - their first child James had died in 1838 + several other of their later children - see MIs in St Peter's Peel the wife's parish)) - in 1851 James can be found with Ellen (from Isle of Bute who I think was Capt Wm's 2nd wife but havn't proof of this) + her dau Ellen - Ellen was at 26 New Bond Street Douglas in 1851 - Capt Wm was shortly afterwards transferred to Liverpool + died 1860 (acc to Bio) in 1881 Ellen is found as a widow living with her dau + son-in-law in Liverpool - James seemed to have married Margaret  - was at Ballaglonney No 2 in Malew in 1881 but he and wife were buried in her parish of Santan - their son Wm married Margt Jane Cannell and it is from them I think the Colby family descend
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline KirstyCait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who replied.

My grandmother unfortunately passed earlier this month. I thought it was a lost cause with such little information but I since found out that the father on her birth certificate was "Comish".

I'm not sure why she was given up at 2 years old, and I'm not necessarily trying to find out. But would still love to try and locate the right McFee and Comish family.

I will have a look at adoption records during 1929 and 1930 which is when I think she was put in care, though is that classed as adoption? I really don't know about this type of thing!!

Offline james mcfee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 July 21 23:19 BST (UK) »
hi my name is james mcfee and my family have lived in colby fore meney generations. did you fiend wot you wher looking fore? i also no the Comish family. my grandad wos boren in 1926 ish (lawrence mcfee) he also had a brother ( maxwell mcfee)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 July 21 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who replied.

My grandmother unfortunately passed earlier this month. I thought it was a lost cause with such little information but I since found out that the father on her birth certificate was "Comish".

I'm not sure why she was given up at 2 years old, and I'm not necessarily trying to find out. But would still love to try and locate the right McFee and Comish family.

I will have a look at adoption records during 1929 and 1930 which is when I think she was put in care, though is that classed as adoption? I really don't know about this type of thing!!

So, you do have a birth certificate?
Can you quote the details?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)