Author Topic: Working in Detroit and Peoria?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Working in Detroit and Peoria?
« on: Tuesday 06 October 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
I have some details of my husband's paternal grandfather, Henry Taylor and his brother Peter.  They were both coal miners from Wigan, Lancashire and they travelled to the U.S.A. more than once in the early 1900's.  I would like to find out where they worked, and where they were living in the U.S.A. if possible.  Also if Peter stayed in the U.S.A.

Peter left Liverpool bound for Peoria, Illinois and arrived in Quebec on 22nd October 1908.
He returned from St. John, on 1st March 1922 to Southampton.
He then left again, this time with his brother Henry (my husband's grandfather) bound from Liverpool to Quebec on 30th June 1922.
Henry (Harry) returned alone from Halifax to Liverpool on 3rd March 1925.
I have a photo of Henry standing outside a house, the caption on the back only says "Detroit 1924".

I have more details of the ships if it helps.  There is a big gap between 1908 and 1922 where I haven't found any details of Peter.  I don't know how or where he was earning a living during this time.

English census returns are every 10 years, the most recent one is 1911 and he is not on that.

In the 1901 Census Peter was living with his wife and children in Wigan, but in the 1911 Census he was not in England, and his wife and children had moved in with her sister and her family.

If anyone can shed some light on this mystery, I would be very grateful.  Thanks.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Working in Detroit and Peoria?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Maybe this is Peter in 1910 in Montana?  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MLCF-M1C

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
Could this be Peter's death in 1923?  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NQ3B-FMC

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
If that's him, there is a picture of his gravestone here - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=142372152&ref=acom

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
Do you have a date of birth for Henry?  Any middle name or initial for him?

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 18:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think that this is Peter on both occasions.  I wonder if Henry put up the gravestone?  He stayed in the U.S. until 1925, a couple of years after Peter died.  Do you know what the Mining school was?  I noticed that the family he boarded with were all English.

I'm so pleased that you were able to find these details as it has given us more info on a long standing mystery.  Thank you.

Henry was born in 1880.  He didn't have a middle name, sorry - Taylor is such a common name to research that it would have been helpful.  The parents' names detailed in the Familysearch document are correct, except the spelling of his mother's surname is Sudworth.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 18:35 BST (UK) »
It wasn't a mining school.  On the image, it says School District No. 12 next to Yellowstone Co., Montana, and he was in Roundup Coal Camp No. 2.  It may have been a rural area without an actual town name.  This has a little history of the mines:  http://www.miningartifacts.org/MontanaMines.html

The image says he had been married for 15 years. 

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info and the link for the mining website. 

Yes, Peter married in 1894 in Wigan so that would be right.  I also looked up Richard Higham who is Head of the household.  He was born in Wigan, and possibly knew Peter before he went to the U.S.  On the 1910 Census it says "Immigration Year" against Peter's name, so does this mean that he had become a U.S. citizen?

Also I noticed that the youngest Higham child was born in Canada in 1908 and the first time Peter went to Quebec was October 1908 so it looks likely that they all went together.  I will go back and look on the passenger lists to see if the family are there, but it seems a good possibility.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
Here is the 1910 census image.  He is listed as an alien.

http://www.mocavo.com/1910-United-States-Census/126211/004972807/982#row-1
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis