Author Topic: Jones/Foulke family of Llechwedd, Llandrillo - help finding where from..  (Read 3696 times)

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones/Foulke family of Llechwedd, Llandrillo - help finding where from..
« on: Tuesday 06 October 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

On a tangent from my last post, I'm trying to find out more about the Jones family of Llechwedd/Tyddyn y Merched, Llandrillo, and more specifically where the children of John (1738-1814) and Dorothy Jones (1743-1827) were born as they do not appear in Llandrillo parish registers:

John & Dorothy Jones' children were:
Giles b.1776, apprenticed to a Grocer in Oswestry, d. 1801
Richard, 1770-1840
Edward, 1774-1835
John, 1766-1829, moved to Oswestry
Catherine (m. John Lewis Jones, Clawddponken, Corwen)

This family share a gravestone with Elizabeth Foulkes (1730-1752) and her father Thomas Foulkes, Dinan, Llandrillo (died 1736), and I can't work out what the connection is to this family. There is a 'Foulke Jones' living in the early 1700s in Llandrillo but does not appear to be related.

If anyone can help with where this family came from it would be a great help! - they seem to have lived in Llandrillo yet no baptisms have taken place here!

Thank you in advance,
Jones9

Offline roy3686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jones/Foulke family of Llechwedd, Llandrillo - help finding where from..
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have Foulkes and Jones connections to Llandrillo in my wife's family tree. My details are still a bit sketchy because, like you, I am struggling to find records.

Robert J Foulkes was born 1862 in Llandrillo.
Robert married Amy Owen who was born 1864 in Aberdovey.
They had a son David Owen Foulkes, birth record says 1893 in Newport.
David married Annie Jones - born 1896, no record about where.

Robert had siblings:
Elizabeth - born 1857 in Llanfor
Anne - born 1864 in Llandrillo
Jane - born 1867 in Llandrillo
Edward - born 1870 in Llandrillo

I appreciate this does not pin down exactly what you were looking for but the additional names at least identify a Foulkes link with Llandrillo

Hope it helps

Offline Iwan Ll. Foulkes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 18 03:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Sir,

Re: The Foulkes Family formerly of Llandrillo

I read your observations with considerable interest. David Owen Foulkes is my paternal great grandfather and thus Robert J. Foulkes is my great great grandfather. I am reliably informed that David Owen Foulkes married three times, he was firstly widowed on his Son, David Iorwerth Foulkes’s birth and he subsequently married my great grandmother, Sarah Jane Lloyd of Mallwyd. My late Grandfather, Gwilym Lloyd Foulkes was born within the marriage however his mother passed away prematurely and D. O. Foulkes coincidentally married his third wife and the late Doris Evans (nee Foulkes) was born thereafter.

I wonder whether you have any further information on the Family and the whereabouts of any living relatives etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Yours faithfully,

Iwan Ll. Foulkes

Offline roy3686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 18 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Iwan
Thank you so much for responding to my message.
We both seem to have bits of information about Foulkes and Llandrillo but also we each have gaps.
Regarding Robert J Foulkes and David Owen Foulkes - we appear to have different details which needs further discussion to establish we both have the same people (through dates etc.).

I would be very happy to exchange more details with you to see if we can tie things together - I am guessing that, with Llandrillo being a fairly small village, the two name links must be good but the details are not matching well.

I have attached a 1911 census page for Robert Jones Foulkes showing where my information came from. My suspicions are that we have the same family but there may be another Robert Jones Foulkes in another leg of the family tree that I do not have.

It might be easier to communicate by email, if you are OK with that, and once we have ironed out the connections we can post an accurate review of what we find back on this site.

My email address is roy.stobbart@gmail.com

Out of interest - do you have an account with ANCESTRY as well? I maintain my family history tree on there as it has been on there since mid 1990's and it is too much hassle to move.

If we can find the exact connection then we do have some details of our Foulkes family still living in Wales. 

Very much look forward to working with you on this.

Kind Regards

Roy

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
Just in case there is any relevance,here is a an earlier posting:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731223.msg5791922#msg5791922

Regards
Roger

Offline roy3686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger
Thank you for taking the time to highlight this
I will look into it and see what if anything ties in.

Appreciate the pointer
Kind Regards
Roy