Author Topic: searching for info on james patton born scotland 1837  (Read 7339 times)

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: searching for info on james patton born scotland 1837
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 October 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi yes
This is Sarah Patton 1864 born in Blyth
She's not on the 1881 census as she was living in Nixon street as a domestic servent
Then married John Brown 1883 they are my husbands great grandparents
Thanks Carol

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 October 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
I can't find her in 1871 either nor can I find a marriage between James and Maria.

Might be a better bet buying a copy of the 1864 birth cert first to get Maria's maiden name

Can you confirm that the 1883 marriage cert shows James Patton's occupation as shoemaker?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 October 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi carol
James wife was Isabella I've seen then on the 1881 census but when they got married or where I don't know also I've got Sarah and John marriage cert and James was a shoemaker and signed his name father James Patton .Sarah's address was Liverpool street Newcastle upon Tyne the same as James Patton.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 October 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
Yes- James is shown with a wife Isabella in 1881 - but in 1871 he is a widower and in 1861 he is married to Maria

As Isabella was only born in 1845 it rules out the earlier marriage I found in 1857 making the 1875 marriage the likeliest

Only James and son Alexander are found in 1871 so where are Sarah and Isabella jnr?

Maria died in 1870 so Isabella snr cannot be the mother of any Patton children born before that date. 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 October 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
Thank you I see what mean so Sarah and siblings mother was Maria and she had died .
I also thought it strange why Sarah's wasent on the 1881 census or the 1871 census very strange .ile just have to find maria maiden name or marriage cert
Kind Regards
Catherine K

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 October 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
1891 - Sarah Brown aged 26 b Newcastle on Tyne - this birthplace does not tie in with the registration district on the 1864 birth

1901 - husband John is shown as married and with children but no Sarah.  There is a 35yr old Sarah Brown shown as married who is a patient in a hospital in Durham - birthplace Wingates Northumberland.

You say that Isabella Patton is on the 1901 census.  Is she the one shown as the sister of George Burgess?

If so - she is not your Isabella.  Isabella Burgess married Thomas Paxton in 1865

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 October 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
I know your main purpose is to find James Patton's ancestry and all of the above may seem irrelevant. 

However -  we need to establish exactly who, when and where he married to enable you to buy a copy cert to get his fathers name/occupation

None of the available census info gives his exact birthplace within Scotland and the 1841 has quite a number of possibilities

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 October 15 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
I am to wondering about Sarah Patton I know her father was James Patton he lived in Liverpool street Newcastle and on her marriage was 1883 age 19yrs.
The census in 1891 said she was born in Blyth .
I have always wondered why Sarah disappeared in 1901 on the census and just john and the children were there I've been trying to find out what happened to her its been a big mystery as I carnt find her death cert or where she is burried .also her youngest child Mary Ann Brown my husband grandmother went to live with relatives the Mullens they were Irish and all lived down the queside .Mary Ann is on the 1911 census living at side with Annie Mullen and family .we've always wondered did Sarah go into a asylum .
As Sarah's siblings were also living with the Mullen family .

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 October 15 00:56 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering have I got the right James Patton as I've never seen Sarah on any of the census the only thing I've got is her marriage cert saying she lived in Liverpool street .about Isabella it just said on census she was sister in law I thought maybe Alice sister but still do sent add up .