Author Topic: searching for info on james patton born scotland 1837  (Read 7344 times)

Offline RobStewart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: searching for info on james patton born scotland 1837
« Reply #27 on: Monday 25 January 16 18:17 GMT (UK) »
For info the achill records mainly start from civil registration in 1864. The Catholic birth records there were all colllated by William Masterson who organised them by family.

There are still pattons on Achill today but unless you can trace this guys parents or have info that takes you back there I suspect this will not be a worthwhile search. Worse than a needle in a haystack I'm afraid!'

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob Stewart
Thank you for your reply about James Patton
He was my husbands great grandfather .
I know what you mean about a needle in a haystack
As my family all live in Achill . My Father was Brian Kilbane and his parents Bridget and Edward Kilbane .also I'm interested in William Masterson who has a lot of information .
As my Aunt Maggie married a Masterson from Achill so we could be related .I know there are Patton's living next to my fathers house he lived in the glen Saula Achill but don't know if they are related to my husband also a lot of families went to Scotland tattie picking .
How will I get in touch will William Masterson
If you could let me know I would be very gratefully
Thanks Catherine K

Offline RobStewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Happy to help Katherine. The Masterson book is now sold at Berniesworld. Its really cds. The records are colllated by father/mother and show all children born to them by birth registration and baptism (sometimes with the godparents noted). Really good and helped me a lot to look at them as families. It also allows you to rule out namesakes (kids who died early and then their name was given to another child born later). You have to slightly ignore the birth date - its really when the birth was registered. Baptism was the important one otherwise as you know they weren't put in the church if they died but down the shore in the 'killini'.

You could of course do this all yourself for nothing on family search or pay as you go on rootsireland. The 1901/1911 census returns also sometime indicate who the next generation back were. For example, next to my great grandfather's name is his own father's name put in brackets. The census collectors sometimes respected the older Gealic oral tradition!!

The Masterson book will only take you back to 1864.

A free source is also the military pension records published online 2 years ago by the Irish government: lists the claimants by their local brigade and rank for a military pension from the War of Independence. All the Achill companies are listed.

My mum is from Achill but brought up in Scotland: only saw her brothers when they came to Scotland for the 'tattie howkin!! They were a mix of Gallaghers from the Valley and my Grandfather was Johnny Masterson from Sraheens - known as Johnny 'Owen'. There were Kilbanes on his side through one of his uncles: she was another Katherine Kilbane! They all worked in Scotland or went to Cleveland.

There are some boards on Ancestry that discuss the Achill Kilbanes. You'd find it easy if you did a Google on the 'achill Kilbanes'. There are a couple of people on there who might scan you a copy of the records for the people  of interest to you if you enquire nicely.

#Love Achill :)

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob Stewart
Thank you for all your information .
I'm thinking we could be related my Grandmother  Bridget was from Saula and also had relations called Gallagher her maiden name was also kilbane .my grandfather Edward was from Dooniver .I have so many relatives on the island my Brother also lives there on the Shore Road and there's the Mac nultys and Mac gintys also my cousin marg Lavelle has the pub Teds in the sound and the boxer Johnny Kilbane from Achill who went the Cleveland Ohio was my Granny's First Cousin . and Kevin Kilbane the footballer is my Second cousin . the Masterson's who are my relatives came from tunergee .but I'm sure we have relatives living in sraheens.also I'm sure my fathers broth in law was Hughie Masterson I know he had Bothers one of them lived in the sound his nick name was the Bullet my father got on great with him .I will look up the information on the census and also William Masterson .I think its great to share our stories look forward to hearing from you
Catherine

Offline longnails69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 15 August 16 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine,
I have only just joined this sight but I am also searching for information on James Patton and his daughter Sarah born 1864 Blyth. Sarah married John Brown in 1883 and had a daughter called Mary Anne Brown. Mary then married a William S Richardson and they then had a daughter called Mary Jane Richardson. Mary Jane Richardson was my grandmother, Mary Anne was my great grandmother, Sarah Patton is my great, great grandmother, so that makes James Patton my great, great, great grandfather. Any information you have I would be extremely grateful for.
Kind Regards
Carmen

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 15 August 16 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmen
Its so lovely to hear from you .I've seen your name so many times and I've wondered
Who you were .I've met your grandmother Mary she was my husband Harry auntie
His mam was her her sister Alice Richardson .there's only one auntie left now called
lena .I seen your name on Genes Reunited a long time ago as I've been searching for
Sarah Brown New Patton for  a  long time .I have a lot of information so pleased. 
Look forward to hearing
Catherine xx

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 August 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmen
Hoping you can reply soon
Regarding James Patton also you are related to my husband
Kind Regards
Catherine K

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 15 August 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmen
I don't know if you have read my reply about James Patton .
His Daughter Sarah Patton married John Brown and were Mary ann parents your
Great grandparents .they lived at ramshaw street elswick but Sarah disappeared
In 1901 and I've searched the hospitals as I think Sarah went into a asylum as Your
Great grandmother Mary Ann went to live with her relatives the Mullens down the Side
In 1911 with her other Siblings the Mullens were off her fathers side as John Browns
Mother was called Alice Mullen she married Thomas  brown they were all Irish I   
 Have more information as I also have a Irish background and live in Newcastle upon Tyne also you all related to my husband and our children I met your grandmother a few times she told me she only had one child and 7 grandchildren I would love to get in touch with you.
Kind Regards
Catherine K

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 August 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmen,

Welcome to RootsChat :) If you wish to reply to this topic please look for the blue "reply" button that appears just below this message.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk