Author Topic: Denny Cemetry map of Lairs  (Read 5498 times)

Offline ericbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Denny Cemetry map of Lairs
« on: Wednesday 07 October 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather bought two Lairs (Nos 451 & 452, Class III Section) in Denny Cemetery in 1878 (receipt for two pounds two shillings).  My Grandfather had them transferred to his name in 1908 (Recorded 1913).
Is it possible to view a map of the Lairs as I could not find them either by number or by headstone on my one visit to the rather large Cemetery?

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Denny Cemetry map of Lairs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 15 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi ericbat,

Welcome to Rootschat!

If you can post some details of names/dates of death of anyone you think will possibly be buried there, I might be able to help you.

Anne

Offline ericbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi ericbat,

Welcome to Rootschat!

If you can post some details of names/dates of death of anyone you think will possibly be buried there, I might be able to help you.

Anne

Offline ericbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
H Anne

I refer to your original reply and wonder if you are able to help me.

Denny Cemetery Lairs 451 & 452 Class 3

George Battison, Died 20/01/1913 (aged 72)
Janet Battison, Died 26/12/1912 (Aged 66)
Margaret Battison, Died 20/09/1892 (Aged 22)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I have photos of Denny Cemetery Lairs taken from the large Lair Plan held by Falkirk Archives. The plan is about 2 metres square, so to try and get any sort of clear detail, the only solution was to take close-ups which on some occasions worked well, whilst in others, it didn't!

I've looked through the photos I have and I think I might have found the location of Section 3, Lairs 451 & 452. This appears to be the only numbers 451/2 on the plan, so although there's no section numbers marked, I presume this must be correct.

If so, then Section 3 is the first section facing the entrance, directly 'behind' the 'one way' sign as you enter the cemetery and directly opposite the wee building which used to be the waiting room.

After about 100 yards, you would come to steps on your right going up to each tier.

Lairs 451 & 452 are on the '1st tier'.

Ground level row = 1 single row
1st tier rows = 2 rows (facing each other)
2nd tier rows = 1 single row, then another smaller 'circle' higher up.

After climbing up the steps to reach the 1st tier, you would turn left and walk between 2 rows of stones facing each other.

The row on your right (i.e. stones facing out towards the fields) begin with Lair 434 (the first lair after the steps) and go up to Lair 462, (the last lair before the next set of steps), so Lairs 451 & 452 will somewhere in between.

If you reach the second set of steps, you have passed them by as the lair numbers begin at 463 at the other side of the steps.

The row on your left runs in the other direction. The first lair on your left, facing 'inwards' is Lair 142, and the last one before the second set of steps is Lair 116.

There are metal pegs here and there, but don't presume any of these are in their correct location. If a stone exists, then obviously it will list one or more members of the Battison family and if you're even more lucky, and there is a stone, look for any numbers around the base. These numbers would confirm lair numbers and possibly the section.

If there is no stone, check other stones in the immediate area for numbers. If you can locate one with a number, then pinpointing the one you're looking for will be much easier. The lairs have 3 feet 'centres' so every 3 feet/1 yard is the centre of the following/last lair.

I've tried 'not' to make this sound confusing - it really isn't, it's just trying to explain things that's difficult!!

Anne  :)

Offline ericbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Anne

Many thanks for the information.  I will go back to Denny when possible and let you know how I get on although there will be a delay before I can do this.

Thanks.

Eric.

Offline canada88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 June 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
Is Denny Cemetery still called Denny Cemetery.  Where were people buried before Denny Cemetery.
Is there a list somewhere that someone has of the people who are buried there.  I tried to email and ask for a locate of my people but they told me that I need specific lairs but i have no idea which lairs that they are buried in.  Any help would be appreciated.

Im trying to find
William Campbell and Christina McMartin (Martin)
James Campbell and Janet Shaw (William's Parents)

Thanks
Jason Campbell
Ontario, Canada

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 June 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Denny & Dennyloanhead kirkyards also  Hills of Dunipace cemetery.

Skoosh.

Offline canada88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 June 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh!