Author Topic: ROBERT PETRIE  (Read 3748 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERT PETRIE
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 October 15 13:54 BST (UK) »
still living with son richard william and son's family in 1911 at 3 Rose Terrace Mersey rd Son M Sale occ down as prison pensioner born chapel of savoch aberdeenshire
regards
alli

Think that is  "Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire".

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 October 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has replied - and so quickly!  This is definitely the man I am looking for and the information is superb, even picking up his second marriage.  All I need now is a photograph!  Thanks again to everyone.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 October 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
If you have access to Ancestry, or can get free access at your local library, there are a number of newspaper reports attached to Robert Petrie!
In his capacity as a Prison Officer, I should add! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 October 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello KGarrad,

This is most interesting!  Do I just enter his name or is there somewhere in particular that I should look?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 October 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
When I entered his name, year of birth, "Aberdeenshire" as a place of birth and Cheshire as a "place your ancestor may have lived", the first page of hits came up with 4 "Public Member Stories".

1. Robert Petrie was a prison warder at Belle Vue gaol at the time of this incident.
2. Newspaper article reporting Robert Petrie's death
3. 'God Save Ireland' (??)
4. The Smashing of the Van
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 October 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
Can't find any of these items.  All I get is a potential 134,000 items relating to Belle Vue prison!

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 October 15 22:33 BST (UK) »
Robert Petrie was a prison warden in Belle Vue Goal. He died aged ninety one years old and was one of the oldest residents in Sale at the time.

Clipping from Newspaper

Belle Vue Gaol

Death of a former chief warder

A link with old Manchester is severed b the death at the home of his son, 43 Mersey Road, Sale of Mr Robert Petrie formerly chief warder of the old Manchester Gaol in Hyde Road.

Mr Petrie was in his 91st year. For more than 32 years he was on the staff of the old Manchester gaol as it was called - which stood about a quarter of a mile nearer to town that the present Belle Vue Gardens. When he retired about 40 years ago he was chief warder there.

The old Belle Vue Gao belonged to Manchester itself, before all the prisoner were taken over by the prison commissioners. It was pulled down about 35 years ago and houses now cover the site. In its time the gaol housed many notorious criminals.

As became so old a man and one who took a great interest in everyday affairs, Mr. Petrie cherished many memories of an older Manchester. He was a warder at the goal when the famous raid on the police van resulted in a police sergeant being shot dead and the escape of several Fenian prisoners. He took part in the subsequent hue-and-cry which led to three of the Fenians being executed.

All his life Mr Petrie enjoyed vigourous health. In Sale where he was the oldest inhabitant, he was much respected. He will be buried on Friday at the Old Church, Ashton-on-Mersey.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 October 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
I put his name , born Aberdeen and lived in Manchester. Half way down the list on the left was the public member stories.

Offline JosephPetrie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 December 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elliven,

Robert Petrie was my great great great grandfather. Can we hook up and share info?  We have developed an extensive family tree.

Joe