Author Topic: Medal Rolls Index Card  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Medal Rolls Index Card
« on: Thursday 08 October 15 12:20 BST (UK) »
My grand uncle died in WW1 and I see a note on his Medal Index Card and award rolls which says:-

BM & VM / Retd (992KR1923) 8426/Adt.

Can you tell me does this mean his medals were returned?  If so can they be claimed now?

Thanks
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Medal Rolls Index Card
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 15 12:24 BST (UK) »
The note I n brackets may refer to Kings Regulations of 1923.  Paragraph. Or clause 992. 

That may explain the reason?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks ScouseBoy, I googled it and looks like if it was for an adjustment then they would have been returned to his wife. Cheers Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 15 14:01 BST (UK) »
If it was returned to his widow, due say to a naming problem you would expect the card to have the IV - Issue Voucher number and date.

Ret'd usually means returned to the Medal Office as undeliverable. They would keep it for 10 years when it would be recycled. You can no longer claim WW1 medals.

Ken

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 15 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken.  His wife had re-married by 1923 if that is a date in the ref no. so probably returned them as she was starting a new life and they had no children to pass them on to. Cheers Evelina

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 15 00:39 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm Scouseboy's thoughts, I came across this on another forum:

Quote from: Mark
Kings Regulations 1923 Para 992 (a.) An officer receiving medals for issue will arrange for their safe custody.

(b.) When medals are presented to individual’s receipts will be obtained from the recipients.

992. Medals which, at the end of one year, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the Secretary, The War Office."

If Medals were undeliverable, they were sent Registered Postage by the General Post Office, as was; after repeated attempts at Delivery and if no notification of a change of address had been given by the Recipient to the War Office /Records Offices & or the GPO then they would have been returned to the Record Office concerned and after a period of Ten Years "Broken Up" to use their terminology.

Medals that were however returned by Recipients for "Adjustment" on a number of occasions which usually meant for alterations to the wording and numbering, in which case they would be Amended & then returned to the recipient.

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 October 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks RRTB