Author Topic: Thomas Abel Archer - records burnt?  (Read 655 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Thomas Abel Archer - records burnt?
« on: Thursday 08 October 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hello afraid it's me again. This time I'm looking into my paternal great grandfather.

I have found his medal card on Ancestry so have his rank and regiment but again I can't find anything further. Now, this could be because I'm struggling to get to grips with the databases but as I understand it could mean his records were destroyed during WW2? Is that right?

He was Thomas Abel Archer. Born Great Bowden on 11 Aug 1889. He was in the Royal Ordnance Corp and his number was 014114. I've been told he was in the Sherwood Foresters.

Any help or confirmation gratefully recieved. Thank you
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Abel Archer - records burnt?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
In the absence of a match to his name or regimental number you would be right in thinking his records were in the 60%+ burnt during the WW2 blitz
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Abel Archer - records burnt?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
If he was still serving after 1920 then his record will be with the MOD. The Arnside fire affected records for men discharged 1st January 1914 to (August) 1920 - the official end of WW1.

Ken