Author Topic: Church Ekford  (Read 860 times)

Offline loandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Church Ekford
« on: Friday 09 October 15 09:12 BST (UK) »
Latin inscription on the northern wall of the Church ,Ekford , Scotland. My GGreat parents were married there 1837, It was a bit faded for me to decipher when I took this photo 2 years ago, Any  one  able to read it. Have attached photo,,
Researching , Carter , Roxbroughshire and Gilhome ,Northumberland ,Goslet in Wiltshire, Weston in Surrey,McNamara in Tipperary

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Church Ekford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
Eckford, not Ekford. I can make out enough of the Latin inscription to see that it's to Sir William Bennet and it says, roughly, 'this is a monument to himself and to his (family), well-deserving persons'. Bennet is mentioned here -

http://www.morebattle.bordernet.co.uk/history/eckford-parish.html

I had Richardson ancestors at Eckford.

Harry

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline loandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Church Ekford
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Harry, Eckford of course,,
Researching , Carter , Roxbroughshire and Gilhome ,Northumberland ,Goslet in Wiltshire, Weston in Surrey,McNamara in Tipperary