Author Topic: COOMBS Walcot ca 1800  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COOMBS Walcot ca 1800
« on: Saturday 10 October 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Eliza COOMBS baptised Walcot St Swithin 15/2/1801 dau of John & Elizabeth COOMBS, married by license 8/6/1818 Bath St James to William CAVE, witnessed by Richard & MAria TREHERN.

Richard was probably her uncle, marrying Sarah COOMBS 9/1/1797

Any info on the marriage of John, or any siblings of Eliza would be welcome

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COOMBS Walcot ca 1800
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 15 10:01 BST (UK) »
John Coombs married Elizabeth Berriman 25 Dec 1798 Ilminster Somerset. Both single and of the parish.

There are a number of baptisms on family search parents John & Elizabeth but I doubt if they are the same family. No Eliza among them?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has her Baptism St Swithin, Bath, Somerset
ELIZA, 15 Feb 1801
There appear to be no others on there for John/Elizabeth

Did Elizabeth die?
John COOMBS, Widower, married Hannah JESSOP, Widow, 7 April 1808, Bath Abbey, Bath
Witnesses, Sarah TREHERN/Sarah STARR

MARIA Trehern, Minor, married Henry Hammond SHELTON of St Nicholas Worcester Parish, 14 April 1819, St James, Bath
Richard Trehern/Hannah Holt witnesses 

The Treherns are in Glous in 1841;
Henry Trehern, 30
Margaret Trehern, 20
Richd Trehern, 75, Ind
+ lots of Servants;
Possible Death Glous 1840 for Sarah Trehern on F/S

1851 Henry and Wife Margaret nee Luke (married 1840 London) are in Surrey (born 1808 Bath) Baptism on FreeREG Henry Richard Trehern to Richd/Sarah

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
thanks Trish I'd missed the widower bit on JohnCoombs marriage

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
To update this
John Coombs was a licensed victualler of Bath who died in 1811. His will mentions a son Benjamin, under age, a wife Hannah, and a daughter Elizabeth.

John was bap 16 Oct 1775 • Saint James,Bath  son of William Coombs and Esther Prosser who married St James Bath 17 Jul 1775. John's sister Sarah, who witnessed his second wedding, was baptised at Bath Abbey 12 April 1775.

What I have yet to locate are John's marriage to Elizabeth (family trees on Ancestry have him marrying at 16 and not always to a Mary!) or the baptism of his son Benjamin

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 20 00:24 BST (UK) »
A John and Mary COOMBS baptised children William Prosser COOMBS in 1797 and Harriet Ashford COOMBS in 1799. It would seem likely that that is the John Coombes and Mary Ashford who married in 1791, and that he was the son of William Coombs and Esther Prosser, even if that means he was only 16 when he married. But is there anything to connect that John to the one who died in 1811?

The Sarah Coombs baptised in 1775 was a daughter of William and Mary Coombs. The William who married Esther was a bachelor so - unless he lied about that - he was a different William.

The son in the will is named as Benjamin Cook Coombs, but I can't see any likely Coombs/Cook wedding, or Benjamin Cook baptism.

Not much help I'm afraid.

David